Small and Cheap ATX case options?

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Looking to see if anyone has any ideas on a small and cheap ATX case option.

I have some old hardware I managed to get from work and I want to reconfigure it with a new OS and case and such for my sister for christmas.

I've looked at the Thermaltake Core G3 which is a nice form factor but I don't want to have to spring for an SFX PSU if I can avoid it, the build already has a decent ATX one.

Also considering the Riotoro CR1080 or Raijintek Thetis (only while it's on sale) but not really liking their thickness.

I'm toying with the idea of making my own out of Acrylic or similar but I'm not sure if it's worth it if there is another pre-built solution.

Budget: $80 MAX

Requirements: ATX mobo, fullsize GPU, and preferably ATX PSU

Thanks!!

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Jonsbo RM2.
Coolermaster Elite 361 is also pretty small in overall volume but long in certain dimensions.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Also considering the Riotoro CR1080 or Raijintek Thetis (only while it's on sale) but not really liking their thickness.
yeah the CR1080 is thick only because the PSU is underneath the board. otherwise the standing height and depth is basically the bit longer each than the perimeter of an ATX board

Also with a non-modular PSU it'd be a nightmare to cable manage if there's nothing much to plug.

For a build and forget use case I'd say it's kinda meh/okay, but if you can find a case with reasons on how it's better than the CR1080 then consider the other case

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
Thank you all for your suggestions!!

Jonsbo RM2.

That looks like the smallest option I've seen but sadly it doesn't seem to be very readily available in the USA :/
Didn't know it existed tho so I'm glad you shared!

I just completed a build in the Rajintek Thetis.

Takes a full ATX PSU, fits a full size GPU, two 2.5in HDDs, and two 3.5in HDDs with ease, plus room for a 240mm and 120mm radiator.

It sells new for $80 with or without glass panels.

Thanks! I just realized that the Thetis isn't as thick as the CR1080 since the PSU is positioned like that. This is probably the one I'm leaning towards getting. Would make for a fun Custom Cable project too :)

yeah the CR1080 is thick only because the PSU is underneath the board. otherwise the standing height and depth is basically the bit longer each than the perimeter of an ATX board

Yeah, it's still pretty compact and all that but I like the Thetis' placement of the PSU that allows the ccase to not be as thick. Thanks for pointing that out tho, I somehow didn't realize that until you posted lol.

Hi,
I`m not sure if 260mm is good enough for fullsize GPU, but maybe: Xigmatek Prospect
370mm (L) x 162mm (W) x 370mm (H)
CPU cooler height to 130mm

That's a nice looking case :) I didn't know it was out there. Sadly it looks like it's all back-ordered right now :/
I'll be keeping it in mind for future projects tho :)

I'll think them over and we'll see how it goes :)

Might have to just make it a joint build project with her since I'm pushing it so close to Christmas but she might like it better that way anyway.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 14, 2017
I wouldn't call the thetis thick in any way... there's literally only room for a 120mm fan on the back above the I/O connectors....

True, they could possibly shrink that down to make it an 80mm on the back of the case, but then you're stuck with 80mm fans everywhere and that sucks.

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
I wouldn't call the thetis thick in any way... there's literally only room for a 120mm fan on the back above the I/O connectors....

True, they could possibly shrink that down to make it an 80mm on the back of the case, but then you're stuck with 80mm fans everywhere and that sucks.

Yeah, I didn't realize that at first for whatever reason. It's probably my top choice right now because of that, thanks for explaining :) :thumb:

Mar 6, 2017

If you want to make your own, here's a (very basic) earlier design of mine that I put on the backburner. You won't be able to use ATX PSUs with it though, it's designed for G-Unique.

It's 330mm W x 336mm D x 96mm H (10.6L) in case you were curious.

Reactions: royalba94

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com

If you want to make your own, here's a (very basic) earlier design of mine that I put on the backburner. You won't be able to use ATX PSUs with it though, it's designed for G-Unique.

It's 330mm W x 336mm D x 96mm H (10.6L) in case you were curious.

Thx, for sharing :)

I've been thinking about possibly making my own and having a guy I know print me these corners to attach it all together.

Still working on figuring out if it'd be worth it along with where to get the acrylic and all that.