Enclosure Thermaltake Core G3: a 24L ATX case with SFX mount

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I like the idea too, though I wish they had included the mounts for a second GPU. It would be an excellent interim case (that has later project usefulness) until Cerberus ever ascends its mythical status to "now available".

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I'm definetely confused on how to cool efficiently components in this case. I think will be the worst.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Indeed, I first saw that on [H] when the thread popped up - still checking it intermittently - that case would suit my current Z170 rig nicely.

My interest in Ncere's hybrid mATX/ATX build over the Thermaltake Core G3 would be for a potential Skylake-X build. Caselabs Bullet style cases (BH7 in this case) may be suitably small enough for my purposes in that regard though.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Did that computer get past POST? He painted over all of the contacts in the DIMM and PCI-e slots o_O

Reactions: Ceros_X

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I guess he did...but when painting he cover most parts with tape..not everything is shown on video.

for example, he put, at start, 2 fans on top...but when he realized that the second fan will block fan pcie riser/extension, he just removed it out from camera.

Clearly at the end, system is functional..:D

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Truly I'm a bit confused by this case because, as stated, it's matching my requirements :
  • Quite compact (24l for ATX motherboard...only cerberus-x is beating that!)
  • Compatible with AM4 Ryzen motherboards with moderate cooling
  • Compatible with MSI Gaming X GPU
  • Compatible with my beloved corsair SF600
  • Sweet showroom of components (top down cpu cooler or GPU)
Is it a true contender to Cerberus-X? Well they are not made for same purpose...:) Cerberus-x is more sober, better built, integrate more components, more powerful, but also more expensive...:)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016

Nice picture found..:)
Last 2016 Asus Strix GPU are compatible with it..:D

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Hmm apparently we both noticed this case while waiting for the Cerberus-X. I'll be picking one of these up when AMD Ryzen drops as an interim case until Cerberus-X drops as well. I'll put it next to an Ncase M1, also the Cerberus-X when it arrives.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Ahah Belgium and France are not complete foreigners ahah..:)

I guess we are aiming both core g3 as backup of cerberus-x...but hopefully, fingers crossed, this last one should be ready quickly..:)

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015

Core G3 and Ncase M1

Core G3 and Ncase M1

Issue with some SFX PSUs (SX-800LTI here)

My first setup with three Noctua 120mm fans (configured as exhaust)

You can't really tell in the photo but the GPU fans stick out about 4-5mm so in this setup I can't close it

The heatpipes from the Arctic Accelero Xtreme cooler extend just past the front fan's frame, doesn't hit into the blades though

I like this part the most: very clean, very well thought out, well executed.

My current setup. Because the PCIe extender results in stability issues when using the GPU...

Reactions: rediaf

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
Thanks for the pics!

This case has been sitting in my basket for a long time, and I nearly pulled the trigger many many times, but I was worried about the riser so I didn't. This post confirms my suspicion then.

Can you do me a favour please, and check whether a 360mm rad can be mounted if the drive cage was removed?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Theoretically it's possible but it will require lots of modding I'd guess. It's a shame they didn't make the design flexible in a way that would allow a 360mm radiator to be mounted with three fan mounts, but there are only two and they are centered in the front.

wywywywy

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 12, 2016
Thank you. I know what you mean - I was hoping that you'd say yes because the drive cage is exactly 120mm tall :) But yea it's not.

I am thinking maybe a 120mm rad facing down can take the place of the drive cage though. But the tubing will be really difficult so it's probably not worthwhile.

Also cable management in this case seems to be non-existent.

So what are you going to do about the riser cable?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Thank you. I know what you mean - I was hoping that you'd say yes because the drive cage is exactly 120mm tall :) But yea it's not.

This is the problem:

The large round holes are for the front panel to attach to, so you can't block those. About 5mm deeper it shouldn't be a problem though.

Also cable management in this case seems to be non-existent.
Yep. It's even hard to find places that you can zip-tie through. Self-adhesive cable loops are very much recommended with this case.

So what are you going to do about the riser cable?
Not sure yet. My main problem is the case at the moment, I'm leaning towards hacking it up.

thanks for your feedback...:)

From what I see, I'm happy to have stayed on cerberus-x..:D
No problem ! I was always going for the Cerberus-X as the end-goal but I couldn't justify the pre-production price with import duties and tax to myself, I basically bought this case, M.2 SSD and some other parts just for the difference. Sometimes I'm a very patient man.

Reactions: wywywywy

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015

Problem solved !

Oh well, atleast it's not totally useless...