CPU Full-size ATX case to fit inside IKEA KALLAX?

icarus69

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 15, 2023
I'm building a NAS with a full-size ATX (12" x 9.6") board, and need space for 6x 3.5" HDDs. 3-4x may be okay if 6x isn't possible.

I want to be able to fit the NAS inside an IKEA KALLAX square, which has internal dimensions of 33.5cm(L)x33.5cm(W)x33.5cm(H)x39cm(D).

I've heard of people using the Thermaltake Core V21, but they had to remove the feet to fit it in, and I imagine that wouldn't have had great airflow being so tight.

Does anyone know of any cases that might work? I'm also open to cases that aren't standard "PC" cases, such as NAS or media server-specific cases, but I don't have any knowledge of those.

Reactions: Phuncz

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
Anyone using platter drives should make frisbees out of them as that is all they are good for plus they use a ton of power as they are motors.
The only reason for using them is ridiculously large storage needs. No new OS is built around their use. 3 2.5" SSD'S in Raid will give you the same storage.

Reactions: riba2233

icarus69

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 15, 2023
Anyone using platter drives should make frisbees out of them as that is all they are good for plus they use a ton of power as they are motors.
The only reason for using them is ridiculously large storage needs. No new OS is built around their use. 3 2.5" SSD'S in Raid will give you the same storage.
Just wait till you spend five minutes in any NAS/server-focused forum or subreddit lol. Would be your living hell

• Haha

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
N-ATX using an APU for the video, you should be able to mod in more than 6 heat splasher 3.5" platters (ie no video card) which you do not need for NAS. Although a data cable and power spaghetti mess. Don't get me wrong, I like Pasta, but not in builds. With 6 motorized drives, the heat is going to be like spaghetti arrabbiata or Mount Vesuvius when it erupted.

icarus69

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 15, 2023
N-ATX using an APU for the video, you should be able to mod in more than 6 heat splasher 3.5" platters (ie no video card) which you do not need for NAS. Although a data cable and power spaghetti mess. Don't get me wrong, I like Pasta, but not in builds. With 6 motorized drives, the heat is going to be like spaghetti arrabbiata or Mount Vesuvius when it erupted.
Actually I'm only starting with 3 drives. I specified 6 for expandability further down the line. But by the sounds of it modding to fit 3 drives should be possible.

When you mention modifying the case, how exactly would I do that? In other words, how complex a job will modifying it be, and will I need any specific tools etc.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Actually I'm only starting with 3 drives. I specified 6 for expandability further down the line. But by the sounds of it modding to fit 3 drives should be possible.

When you mention modifying the case, how exactly would I do that? In other words, how complex a job will modifying it be, and will I need any specific tools etc.

If you are ok by them being mounted with 2 screws on one side, you would just need to drill 4 holes in the front chassis panel.

icarus69

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 15, 2023
If you are ok by them being mounted with 2 screws on one side, you would just need to drill 4 holes in the front chassis panel.
Cool. Looks like they're sold out unfortunately. Are there any used market sites that these cases might appear on? Nowhere to be seen on eBay.

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
The case is aluminum I believe but even if it was steel there are 3.5" drive brackets available (Stackable Bracket) you would need an M3 X 0.5 tap and the appropriate drill bit for that tap. (screws: M3 x 6 screws )
You would then determine what would be the best location utilizing the available real estate inside for 3 brackets to start. You would be utilizing 3M shovel/flat head screws for mounting the brackets. They could be from outside of case panels to brackets. (Hand Power Drill, Drill bit set, 3M tap, Tap Handle) You would have to determine if you could stack based on space in the N-ATX case where the video card would normally sit. It looks like you could...

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Somebody actually build a PC inside a Ikea Dröna box insert / drawer. I think I saw it on r/mffpc. Was pondering the same before, but inside the (apparently now outphased) plastic Lekman box. The Dröna is a mesh-wire frame Kallax / Expedit box insert. There are also others, including a half-height box with semi-transparent walls (IDK its name, but I've seen it on the ikea site a few months ago when digging into Kallax options for my room, as a replacement of a too clunky, oversized desk).

Edit: If you got access to a 3d printer, you may be in luck as well, somebody did indeed create a whole case specifically for the kallax shelf.

Or just build the system right into the shelf, like this guy did for his wife :)

If ATX is the only way to go, budget cases I stumbled over in the last few months:

- Chieftec UNI UK-02B / W - you might have to remove its feet to make it fit (snuggly), but as it neither got a bottom intake nor top exhaust, that shouldnt be too much of an issue
- Jonsbo RM2 - same issue, you probably have to remove the feet to make it fit snuggly
- thats it (at least in European markets)

Other options include, similar to like others already suggested, modifying an existing case - but here, one would go for a case that originally wasnt meant to be used for ATX. Eg. if you could find yourself a used Meshlicious, you could just do the mods suggested in my Mesh-mATX build log (based upon the original work by SG Custom), which are basically identical for ATX, and then add a drive cage or mounting options to the other side; although with an ITX GPU, you could still use the top GPU mount and just add the HDDs below.

But really, you'd be better off by switching down the mainboard size at least to mATX.

Then you could also just pick a Silverstone SG11 and be happy, because it already comes with NAS basics (eg. a HDD frame for 3x 3.5 / 2.5" in the front with 120 mm fan cooling option). Or just step up the game with the SilverStone Case Storage CS351, which is basically the SG11 but on NAS steroids (comes with a 5x SAS/SATA 3.5" hot swap drive cage).

The SAMA IM01 / Inter-Tech Pocket IM-I fits easily inside a Kallax shelf, but its not so nice for adding massive amounts of drives; but there are a few threads across the interwebs and reddit that show off creative solutions for that issue (eg. 2x2 HDD drive cages mounted to the side panel plate).

cu, w0lf.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

icarus69

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 15, 2023
somebody did indeed create a whole case specifically for the kallax shelf.

This looks cool. I've sent them a message to find out more.

This only lists "1x 2.5"/3.5", 1x 3.5", 1x 2.5" for internal storage. Does this matter if I'm trying to fit 3x 3.5"?

Jonsbo RM2
This says mATX. Does this matter?

suggested in my Mesh-mATX build log
Sorry, but not quite sure what to be looking at here. Can you point me in the right direction?

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
Or reducing it more to ITX! and, newer boards, have NVME slots for drives, no cables.... the new Minisforum board AR900i which I just pre-ordered, which has 4 slots.
But; I know you love those SLOW, data corruption-prone, volatile motors. You are probably more comfortable with MBR vs UEFI.

icarus69

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 15, 2023
Or reducing it more to ITX! and, newer boards, have NVME slots for drives, no cables.... the new Minisforum board AR900i which I just pre-ordered, which has 4 slots.
But; I know you love those SLOW, data corruption-prone, volatile motors. You are probably more comfortable with MBR vs UEFI.
I'm happy with my ECC build with 3x 6TB HDD in RAIDZ1.

Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Sorry, but not quite sure what to be looking at here. Can you point me in the right direction?

SG Customs build the "Mesh-ATX" in the SSUPD Meshlicious using a fullsize ATX mainboard, which inspired me to try my own version of it, but with Micro ATX, hence "Mesh-mATX".

Part #1 of his build:

Part #2:

Another option that comes to mind: Using cases that are technically meant onky for mATX, but could in theory support ATX, if one would position eg. the PSU differently, and then either flipping them on the side or back to make them sit properly in the Kallax shelf, while still being able to access the IO panel. Those are mostly traditional structured cases, with the PSU on the bottom (ie. modern layout).

One of such cases would be the Itek SMALLCOM-P / B. You could just flip the PSU like its done in the Meshi, and add a few more mainboard spacer, then a regular ATX board should fit perfectly well.

So, thats it for my insights for now.

cu, w0lf.