The Breadbox (~2.3L of goodness)

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Right, I've been planning this build for over a year now, and it's evolved from ITX, to T-mITX, and now to STX. And only recently have I bought all the parts required:

CPU: i5-6600k (will be pulled out of my sister's build)
Cooler: Silverstone AR04 (should be good enough, and I don't care about noise :p)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4-2800 (it was the cheapest option, before anyone asks)
Motherboard: Asrock H110M-STX (chosen because of the PCIe 3.0 M.2 port... can you see where this is going?)
Storage: Plextor M6s 128GB SSD + a Seagate Barracuda 2TB drive mounted somewhere outside the case
Graphics card: An EVGA SC 750Ti (Temporary, but good enough)
Case: I'll be making one :D
PSU(s): A Delta 120W power brick for the motherboard, and a Dell (or Delta) >300W server PSU (my dad has like 4 of those)
Other(s): An M.2 to PCIe x4 card (It's not Bplus... let's hope it works, shall we?) and a PCIe x4 to x16 riser.
Total spent: £183.08 including shipping and whatnot

Right, that should be all of the parts.. well, this is quite an early thread in terms of the fact that I only bought the parts last week, and only the motherboard and RAM have arrived:

(That's my brother's bed in the background btw, he's only 6 :p)
Just showcasing how small the motherboard is... well, the dimensions of the case will be (LxWxH) 14.9 x 15.7 x 10.5 giving a total volume of 2.456L, and with two edges rounded that becomes 2.4L :D (assuming the radius of the rounded edges is 1.5cm).
Calculation for internal volume is 17*9.5*(14.7-3) + (9.5 - 2*3)*17*3 + (pi*(3^2)/2)*17 = 2308.3818383 (2.3L)
I say the 750Ti is temporary because A: I don't want to make the case bigger just to fit a 1060 or 1070 :p and B: Because im waiting on Vega, and hoping for a nice, R9 Nano refresh with the small Vega chip :)

Well, lets all hope this goes well :D

Yay, the PCIe riser works. Now, just waiting on the M.2 to PCIe x4 riser... (I'm stressing that 750Ti with F@H btw)

Finally the (el cheapo) M.2 adaptor arrived, and it works! More pictures will come in a few hours.
Incoming sheets of metal! I finally managed to buy myself a 75x25x0.12cm sheet of metal, which'll give me plenty of spare metal, just in case :pI've actually already tried with a 3mm thick sheet... but that's way too thick :/

Here are some simple renders made by a friend because I'm incompetent when it comes to 3D modelling software.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Also new dimensions:

NH-L12 for scale, and a can of coke:

Yeah this is pretty self explanatory.

So 3D printing this would be so much easier. So we made models of the case.

Piece 1 and piece 2.

Changing to this design allowed all of the I/O to be moved to the left and front of the case, making it better for placement on my desk (to the right of the monitor).

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

That was just a test print. The real case will use UV reactive filament that turns pink when exposed to UV light :p

This post will be updated alongside new update posts being posted.

Last edited:

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
you had me at "STX"
really curious about how this will turn out. What material are you going to use for the case?
Probably just some aluminium because I can easily get some, but the first prototype will be made from the sidepanel of my friend's old case :p

Reactions: ricochet

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Looks like a great build, can't wait to see more! :thumb:
I might follow you to make something like https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/retrobox-the-game-preservation-machine.1189/
Only downside I see is having to use 2 distinct PSUs, my TV area being already crowded with power cords all around...
I actually don't need the separate server PSU (or, well, it could be helpful) as the 750Ti I'm using is fed by PCIe power. However, I will have to find some source of 12V power for molex for that reason.

The off-brand M.2 riser is supposed to arrive in a week's time... Great.

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Sorry for the lack of posts everyone, but I can assure you, this project is still going :p However, I am getting quite busy with my revision for my exams so it probably will take a very long time before an actual case comes into fashion.

Have a picture of the build (and a file server) so far though :p

Last edited:

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
And this is taking too long. After my exams have finished (about a month from now), I should be able to order some aluminium sheeting, and finally start work on the case. I expect to screw up many times, but I should only need about a m^2 of sheeting to work with it all. I've also slightly changed the dimensions (14.9*15.8*10.5, D*W*H) to accommodate for slightly longer cards whilst keeping it in the 2.4L range (2.416 ish). In theory, if needed, I can extend the width to 16cm, giving a volume of 2.447, which can still be rounded to 2.4L :p

EDIT: Dimensions now 14.9*16*10.5.

Last edited:

GentlemanShark

Asus RMA sucks
Marsupial Computing
Dec 22, 2016
Well, I've been getting PCIe 3.0 x2 link speeds from it, but that might also be the M.2 adapter. I mean, I could wrap each wire in tin foil...
I'm sure that might help, I just want to make sure I'm getting a quality part to use with my 1050 ti.

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Incoming sheets of metal! I finally managed to buy myself a 75x25x0.12cm sheet of metal, which'll give me plenty of spare metal, just in case :p I've actually already tried with a 3mm thick sheet... but that's way too thick :/

Here are some simple renders made by a friend because I'm incompetent when it comes to 3D modelling software.