The Breadbox (~2.3L of goodness)

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
231
270
Right, I've been planning this build for over a year now, and it's evolved from ITX, to T-mITX, and now to STX. And only recently have I bought all the parts required:

CPU: i5-6600k (will be pulled out of my sister's build)
Cooler: Silverstone AR04 (should be good enough, and I don't care about noise :p)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4-2800 (it was the cheapest option, before anyone asks)
Motherboard: Asrock H110M-STX (chosen because of the PCIe 3.0 M.2 port... can you see where this is going?)
Storage: Plextor M6s 128GB SSD + a Seagate Barracuda 2TB drive mounted somewhere outside the case
Graphics card: An EVGA SC 750Ti (Temporary, but good enough)
Case: I'll be making one :D
PSU(s): A Delta 120W power brick for the motherboard, and a Dell (or Delta) >300W server PSU (my dad has like 4 of those)
Other(s): An M.2 to PCIe x4 card (It's not Bplus... let's hope it works, shall we?) and a PCIe x4 to x16 riser.
Total spent: £183.08 including shipping and whatnot

Right, that should be all of the parts.. well, this is quite an early thread in terms of the fact that I only bought the parts last week, and only the motherboard and RAM have arrived:
b7abcAb.jpg

(That's my brother's bed in the background btw, he's only 6 :p)
Just showcasing how small the motherboard is... well, the dimensions of the case will be (LxWxH) 14.9 x 15.7 x 10.5 giving a total volume of 2.456L, and with two edges rounded that becomes 2.4L :D (assuming the radius of the rounded edges is 1.5cm).
Calculation for internal volume is 17*9.5*(14.7-3) + (9.5 - 2*3)*17*3 + (pi*(3^2)/2)*17 = 2308.3818383 (2.3L)
I say the 750Ti is temporary because A: I don't want to make the case bigger just to fit a 1060 or 1070 :p and B: Because im waiting on Vega, and hoping for a nice, R9 Nano refresh with the small Vega chip :)

Well, lets all hope this goes well :D

Tdqx0GZ.jpg

Yay, the PCIe riser works. Now, just waiting on the M.2 to PCIe x4 riser... (I'm stressing that 750Ti with F@H btw)
2B26Nm8.jpg

Finally the (el cheapo) M.2 adaptor arrived, and it works! More pictures will come in a few hours.
Incoming sheets of metal! I finally managed to buy myself a 75x25x0.12cm sheet of metal, which'll give me plenty of spare metal, just in case :pI've actually already tried with a 3mm thick sheet... but that's way too thick :/
iOya0AV.jpg

CZCLOcs.jpg

Here are some simple renders made by a friend because I'm incompetent when it comes to 3D modelling software.
unknown.png


VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

unknown.png


Also new dimensions:

unknown.png
NH-L12 for scale, and a can of coke:
20170527_173102.jpg

20170527_173703.jpg
a9pl8yw.jpg


Yeah this is pretty self explanatory.
Assembly2.png.79b05da3cb07c6e0655ff6defbe021c4.png

Assembly1.png.ac76b3d97ff4e93c986ba6362dd9b82a.png

Assembly3.png.04d7f214c35ff95df6ad662a370bf88d.png


So 3D printing this would be so much easier. So we made models of the case.
15013069500601000012667.jpg.6cc4afcf5405ba6e9e1a04900945f14f.jpg

unknown.png


Piece 1 and piece 2.
photo_2017-08-20_22-22-09.jpg.8403ac0885f9751b0cb9363784d903eb.jpg


Changing to this design allowed all of the I/O to be moved to the left and front of the case, making it better for placement on my desk (to the right of the monitor).

V2-Assembled.png.7aa2ffdd32b2f363dcc8e0d0599bf28d.png

V2-Assembled2.png.2d27bc5e836f95c9bd4cff540440c6c7.png

V2-Assembled3.png.2742850bf703e36c3fa25bb6a84f7029.png
QcgGbkb.jpg


VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

maew1Ce.jpg


That was just a test print. The real case will use UV reactive filament that turns pink when exposed to UV light :p

This post will be updated alongside new update posts being posted.
 
Last edited:

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
231
270
Looks like a great build, can't wait to see more! :thumb:
I might follow you to make something like https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/retrobox-the-game-preservation-machine.1189/
Only downside I see is having to use 2 distinct PSUs, my TV area being already crowded with power cords all around...
I actually don't need the separate server PSU (or, well, it could be helpful) as the 750Ti I'm using is fed by PCIe power. However, I will have to find some source of 12V power for molex for that reason.

The off-brand M.2 riser is supposed to arrive in a week's time... Great.
 

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
231
270
Sorry for the lack of posts everyone, but I can assure you, this project is still going :p However, I am getting quite busy with my revision for my exams so it probably will take a very long time before an actual case comes into fashion.
photo_2017-03-10_21-31-39.jpg.1ec8640fca83eb4b230563f06268bcbc.jpg

Have a picture of the build (and a file server) so far though :p
 
Last edited:

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
231
270
And this is taking too long. After my exams have finished (about a month from now), I should be able to order some aluminium sheeting, and finally start work on the case. I expect to screw up many times, but I should only need about a m^2 of sheeting to work with it all. I've also slightly changed the dimensions (14.9*15.8*10.5, D*W*H) to accommodate for slightly longer cards whilst keeping it in the 2.4L range (2.416 ish). In theory, if needed, I can extend the width to 16cm, giving a volume of 2.447, which can still be rounded to 2.4L :p

EDIT: Dimensions now 14.9*16*10.5.
 
Last edited:

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
231
270
Incoming sheets of metal! I finally managed to buy myself a 75x25x0.12cm sheet of metal, which'll give me plenty of spare metal, just in case :p I've actually already tried with a 3mm thick sheet... but that's way too thick :/
iOya0AV.jpg

CZCLOcs.jpg

Here are some simple renders made by a friend because I'm incompetent when it comes to 3D modelling software.