The Breadbox (~2.3L of goodness)

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
I haven't been following this thread, but I hope you're not planning on cutting it out in one piece and bending it into the 3D shape you are showing, because it will be impossible on a brake press (if you think about the order of the bending, and what interferences there will be from previous bends, you'll figure out why). I'd look at changing the pattern to make the pattern to cut 2 pieces that get bent into u-shapes and then attached. You'll need to think about adding some flanges (for joining the 2 "halves") onto both pieces, too.

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
I haven't been following this thread, but I hope you're not planning on cutting it out in one piece and bending it into the 3D shape you are showing, because it will be impossible on a brake press (if you think about the order of the bending, and what interferences there will be from previous bends, you'll figure out why). I'd look at changing the pattern to make the pattern to cut 2 pieces that get bent into u-shapes and then attached. You'll need to think about adding some flanges (for joining the 2 "halves") onto both pieces, too.
Why not suspend an adequately strong rod with a radius of 3cm between two vices that are relatively high up to allow for that? I mean, I have no access to any tools other than a dremel, drill press/drill, saw of some kind and various sanding devices, so this is all home-made :p

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
It wasn't the 30mm bends I was commenting on, it was the 90-degree folds at the corners.
Oh. Well, in that case, it'll be in 2 or 4 parts. The U shaped section at the front (the one that curves all the way around) will be a single piece, and the side and rear panel will either be a single piece or 3 pieces. It'll have another small panel in it to allow for the SSD/motherboard to be mounted too. This would be best explained with a drawing, but I'm a little busy atm, so I'll try get that done sometime soon.

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Updates: I've finally been bothered.
Got turned to:
Here's a 3d model with updated dimensions (giving 2.34L!):

Reactions: Biowarejak

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Quick little update: Assembled it with tape, and put in an NH-L12 for size comparison.

Oh, and a can of coke:

Last edited:

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Do you plan to use mod cubes or something similar in the corners to fasten the 2 halves together?

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Do you plan to use mod cubes or something similar in the corners to fasten the 2 halves together?
Honestly, I'm not too sure at the moment on how it'll come together, though I've had to shuffle the insides a little in order to get it to all fit with the curves.

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Does anyone know of a good way to attach aluminium plates like this? Also, does anyone know of any good x4 to x16 risers?

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Well, I can say that this is going to be shelved until I get a graphics card about the right size, to help me place things inside the case, decide on a power supply, all that. Sadly though, with that mining craze going on, it's nearly impossible to find an R9 Nano for a decent price. Hopefully in a few months I'll own one, and I'll have most likely found a way to attach aluminium plates together by then.

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Well, I can say that this is going to be shelved until I get a graphics card about the right size, to help me place things inside the case, decide on a power supply, all that. Sadly though, with that mining craze going on, it's nearly impossible to find an R9 Nano for a decent price. Hopefully in a few months I'll own one, and I'll have most likely found a way to attach aluminium plates together by then.
Nevermind about this, a friend's 3d printing it for me:

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
I don't see how this model will securely join the halves together - and I'm guessing you will want it securely joined for strength. Hopefully, some of those details are just missing from the render, but will be present in the product.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
I don't see how this model will securely join the halves together - and I'm guessing you will want it securely joined for strength. Hopefully, some of those details are just missing from the render, but will be present in the product.
A external hinge (or maybe internal if I find a small enough one at the hardware store) will be used to allow it to open and close as shown, as well as some small magnets on the edges that will touch when closing it.
Oh and, a picture of it printing, courtesy of my friend who is printing it:

Last edited:

dezrathompson

Minimal Tinkerer
Aug 22, 2017

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
I like where this is headed. This may have already been recommended but have you heard of the 400w HDPLEX DCATX Power supply? It does use a brick but it is soooo much smaller, and usually small builds don't use up much power.

http://www.hd-plex.com/HDPLEX-400W-Hi-Fi-DC-ATX-Power-Supply-16V-24V-Wide-Range-Voltage-Input.html

It also comes in 300w, 160w, and 80w flavors.

I hope this helps!
There's not enough space for the 400W one, but I am planning on getting the 160W one with a dell 220 (or 330)W brick, and using a strange little cable that should allow for the PSU to turn on at the same time as the graphics card (where two of the ground lines on the PCIe plug are wired into the mobo's ground and PS_on line). Apparently the 160W one can handle continuous 200W loads, but it's just the wiring harness that's the issue, so hopefully if I just replace that then it'll be fine.

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Right I know it's been a little while, but I'm still waiting on that print with a friend (he's currently moving house so it'll take a while still) but I present this question to you all.. Would you rather a 2.3L air cooled build, or a sub 3L water cooled build?