Log An STX enclosure with a super short 1660 Super

gwk

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 1, 2020

I built an STX enclosure that supports a super short GPU such as HP OEM 1660 Super in my case.
Its limited to PCIe Gen 3 x4 so it's not super practical. This PC is comparable to my 1660-Ti laptop,
but waaaay quieter, and the core components were second hand parts from eBay:

HP OEM 1660 Super
ASUS Q170S1
i5-6700T

Hopefully someday soon there will be a short-PCB GPU that supports PCIE 4.0

Last edited:

gwk

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 1, 2020
Still need to redo one of the panels because I screwed up the rear IO cutout. Also using a modded Pico PSU in order to switch 12v to the GPU when the system turns on. Using a transistor, the fan header controls the Pico's PSON signal. I hate how annoying it is to control 12V to a GPU in a non-ATX system like this.

princess_daphie

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 26, 2019
Still need to redo one of the panels because I screwed up the rear IO cutout. Also using a modded Pico PSU in order to switch 12v to the GPU when the system turns on. Using a transistor, the fan header controls the Pico's PSON signal. I hate how annoying it is to control 12V to a GPU in a non-ATX system like this.
Does seem like it's a hassle!! Also, your STX board didn't have an optional internal 12V power-in? That would've been handy...

gwk

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 1, 2020
Does seem like it's a hassle!! Also, your STX board didn't have an optional internal 12V power-in? That would've been handy...
Nope, and I looked! this ASUS board must have been for a kiosk or something cause its got pins all over the place for LCD, Backlight, etc.

Reactions: princess_daphie

princess_daphie

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 26, 2019
Hmm... I think I would've tried to solder wires directly to the solder points of the DC connector jack, ha! But yeah, not a super consume-friendly board I assume!!

gwk

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 1, 2020
Hmm... I think I would've tried to solder wires directly to the solder points of the DC connector jack, ha! But yeah, not a super consume-friendly board I assume!!
I still might do that, but then I would probably want to cover the STX DC jack because then it would be a voltage source and could be a shock hazard.

princess_daphie

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 26, 2019
I still might do that, but then I would probably want to cover the STX DC jack because then it would be a voltage source and could be a shock hazard.
Desolder it, or fill it with hot glue, haha :) In any case, good luck with the rest of your improvements, I'll keep an eye on your thread :)

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
You can sync the GPU to the fan header with a smaller relay if you want, it might be marginally smaller than a Pico psu

gwk

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 1, 2020

I got my 3mm Matte panels from Ponoko! They've got way more acrylic than SendCutSend

Reactions: Snerual

gwk

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Oct 1, 2020
You can sync the GPU to the fan header with a smaller relay if you want, it might be marginally smaller than a Pico psu
Do you have a link to a part?
I would appreciate it. We were going back and forth on JHack Discord about this a few weeks ago.