Completed Sleek 8.7liter case w/ 8700k & Titan X

Carrotcakee

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
Hello everyone! I recently built my first SFF computer case from scratch. But because Im lazy please read my post over at the LTT Forum if you got the time:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/954949-custom-87-liter-sff-case-w-8700k-and-titan-x-pascal/

Some images of the completed case:

Specs:
Msi Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Intel Core i7 8700K
16GB Corsair RAM
Nvidia GTX Titan X (Pascal)
500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
Corsair SF 600w
Cryorig C1 CPU air cooler

Feel free to comment if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them.

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
A lot of questions to you, but a big congrats before! Really like the aesthetics! Awesome work!

It would be interesting to know what are temperatures and noise in each revision (Snow 1.0, 2.0 & 3.0)!
If you haven't access to a sound meter, what are the rpm of each fan? Even if, you changed your components during time if I'm not mistaken so comparison may be hard...

Anyway, those cuts in the side panel are big enough to not constrain that Cryorig? Is there differences with or without side CPU panel mounted during use and during stress test?

Reactions: Carrotcakee

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
Congrats for the finishing this. Looks like it got a good cpu cooler clearance.

How do the side panel attach?

Reactions: Carrotcakee

Carrotcakee

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
A lot of questions to you, but a big congrats before! Really like the aesthetics! Awesome work!

It would be interesting to know what are temperatures and noise in each revision (Snow 1.0, 2.0 & 3.0)!
If you haven't access to a sound meter, what are the rpm of each fan? Even if, you changed your components during time if I'm not mistaken so comparison may be hard...

Anyway, those cuts in the side panel are big enough to not constrain that Cryorig? Is there differences with or without side CPU panel mounted during use and during stress test?

I dont have exact temps from any of the computer but Snow 1.0 ran a bit warm and loud because of the Phanteks Entho Evolv's top panel being so restrictive. Snow 2.0 had 2 360mm slim rads to cool it with. So snow 2.0 was whisper quiet even during load and when just browsing the internet i could turn off the fans and run it passively. Snow 3.0 gets quite loud and warm by comparison. Stress test the clu gets like 80°c and during gaming maybe 60-70°c. Its not too loud but id say that the titan x pascal stock cooler is whats making the most noise.
The holes in the side panel let enough air in but sadly not out. The top of the case gets quite toasty so i leave them off while under intense loads. :(
Hope i didnt miss anything!

Reactions: SashaLag

Carrotcakee

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
Congrats for the finishing this. Looks like it got a good cpu cooler clearance.

How do the side panel attach?

As you can see in the pictures of the side of the computer, I've welded 4 nuts on each side. These nuts each have a round head bolt in them. On this bolt i put a small but strong neodymium magnet which then holds the side panel on. The bolts make it so i can screw them out and in to adjust the panel and make sure it's flush with the rest of the case.

enricko7

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 12, 2018
Do you have any issues with your GPU rattling? I see that it's only secured at the top of the cutout and wondered how that works for you.

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
As you can see in the pictures of the side of the computer, I've welded 4 nuts on each side. These nuts each have a round head bolt in them. On this bolt i put a small but strong neodymium magnet which then holds the side panel on. The bolts make it so i can screw them out and in to adjust the panel and make sure it's flush with the rest of the case.

Sounds like there is a Snow 3.1 around the corner with top hole fixed then :D
BTW, really like this case! If you already have some components for liquid cooling you could reuse in this build, why didn't you increade height to fit a 240mm radiator on top? In other words, why going back to air? Too much complexity/cost?

Carrotcakee

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
Do you have any issues with your GPU rattling? I see that it's only secured at the top of the cutout and wondered how that works for you.
The gpu is actually mounted very firmly by the screw in the back (where you normally screw gpus in) and in the front of the gpu with an extra bracket i made. The stock coolers have 3 m3 holes at the end which i used to bring more rigidity to the card while transport.
Short answer: No it doesn't rattle

Reactions: enricko7

Carrotcakee

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
Sounds like there is a Snow 3.1 around the corner with top hole fixed then :D
BTW, really like this case! If you already have some components for liquid cooling you could reuse in this build, why didn't you increade height to fit a 240mm radiator on top? In other words, why going back to air? Too much complexity/cost?
Well the radiators i had for snow 2.0 were two 360mm slim rads and since snow 3.0 is shorter than a tenkeyless keyboard there is no way a 360 rad would fit.
I am planning on a possible Snow 3.1/4.0 with external watercooling. I could make the case about 4cm narrower then. But im not sure if i want to spend the 600eur on parts...

Reactions: SashaLag

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
wow,I wouldn't willing to spend 600€ on pc parts too... How much does this case cost you?

Carrotcakee

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Aug 7, 2018
wow,I wouldn't willing to spend 600€ on pc parts too... How much does this case cost you?
For the company to cut the case was about 120eur. Paint was maybe 20eur. Screws, bolts and magnets maybe 20eur. So a total of 160eur maybe? + a lot of work.
The 600eur i was talking about was if i would buy gpu + cpu waterblocks, a rad, fans, pump, reservoir, quickdisconnects, tubing, fittings and fluid.

Computer parts were maybe 1600eur in total? SFF/itx parts are hella expensive :/

dpigeaud

Chassis Packer
Oct 15, 2018
I really love the design of this case, beautiful aesthetics. Nice work!

In your LTT forum post, you mentioned you were willing to share the 3d sketches of the case. I'm very interested in perhaps getting one made (obviously with your permission).

PM me if you would like to discuss this further!

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
I really love the design of this case, beautiful aesthetics. Nice work!

In your LTT forum post, you mentioned you were willing to share the 3d sketches of the case. I'm very interested in perhaps getting one made (obviously with your permission).

PM me if you would like to discuss this further!
You should PM him instead. I got reminded of this case when you bumped this thread. I ended up leaving a message and got the files.