Completed SFFtime presents: P-ATX v2 - 10 L case with improved ATX, AIO and 3-slot support!

Intrepid_Cosmonaut

Average Stuffer
Sep 26, 2018
The ATX mount means that most of the lower left side of the case is solid, no? (The ATX motherboard trays covers up most of the lower left portion). Even if the right hand side panel is fully perforated, you'll just see the back of the motherboard tray instead. Perhaps the motherboard tray itself could have some cut-outs made to the lower portion, but then you compromise on the strength of the case (and visually it won't look very good from the left side since you'd still be seeing the back of the motherboard tray through the side panels at the positions where there are no cutouts)

There are sufficient cutouts on the lower portion of the motherboard tray to allow at least partial ventilation for the followthrough cards. In terms of looks the already perforated part of the rear side overlaps solid areas as is. I don't think it looks bad given they are painted the same colour as the outside. If you compare the two areas in question they are really not very different.

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
There are sufficient cutouts on the lower portion of the motherboard tray to allow at least partial ventilation for the followthrough cards. In terms of looks the already perforated part of the rear side overlaps solid areas as is. I don't think it looks bad given they are painted the same colour as the outside. If you compare the two areas in question they are really not very different.

Well good point, but then you'll be exposing the back of the motherboard along with its solder joints to potential dirt, debris, fingers/toes, cat's paws etc... Maybe would be a cool option to offer it as an optional extra or as a choice upon purchase, so people with ATX or ITX boards can choose which one to pick depending on what type of motherboard they want to use

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well good point, but then you'll be exposing the back of the motherboard along with its solder joints to potential dirt, debris, fingers/toes, cat's paws etc... Maybe would be a cool option to offer it as an optional extra or as a choice upon purchase, so people with ATX or ITX boards can choose which one to pick depending on what type of motherboard they want to use
I fully support to have choice on either solid/vented on back panel.
The more vents you have the more expensive it is.

It will be perfect to have it as a choice either on P-ATX or N-ATX

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Yes, I will offer fully perforated right side panel! Just have to figure out how to ship it ?

I am thinking about making that a standard option, but I am still not sure.
N-ATX has to have right side fully perforated however.

But 3070 FE will work very good even with stock panel, there is a lot of space behind it, and it is not a really hot card.

• Love
Reactions: Intrepid_Cosmonaut

tajmahal

Chassis Packer
Apr 27, 2020
To be honest, front audio ports are just a non sense on EMC/audio quality..:D
All those kind of extender/passtrough are pretty nasty. Even on my pair of speakers, there is a headset plug...but its quality is simply horrible!

Yes you can try rear audio plug...it won't take long and quality is most probably better.

You're right. It just never occurred to me that there might be any difference between the front and rear audio jacks.

So I just tried it, but I couldn't hear any difference between the front and rear ones at all. Microphone volume is equally low for the front and rear jacks.

I also compared the internal chip to the external Sharkoon USB device again. I could hear no big difference in audio output quality. Maybe the Sharkoon sounds slightly better. Microphone sound quality is a big difference, however. The Sharkoon supports a much higher volume with less noise at the same time. (Headset used: Beyerdynamic MMX 300 2nd Gen.)

Reactions: MarcParis

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
I have some good news, I watched 6800XT review from Aus Steve and he said that SAM works with PCIE gen3, so that is the last nail in coffin for gen4, at least for good 5 years.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I have some good news, I watched 6800XT review from Aus Steve and he said that SAM works with PCIE gen3, so that is the last nail in coffin for gen4, at least for good 5 years.
Yes noticed that too...but I will give a try to gen 4 riser anyway..;)

tessoftheriver

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 16, 2020
Yes noticed that too...but I will give a try to gen 4 riser anyway..;)

Hi ! super new to this and tying to compile the master list of everything i need to build a t1 (or maybe p1 now looking at the stock shortages of cpu/gpu's coming out) properly.

i saw Optimum's video about his issues with the gen 3 riser cable- is marcparis here mentioning that with the 6800xt the gen 3 riser cable isnt an issue? and to that effect pcie 4.0 isn't worth upgrading to?

if you still plan on getting a gen 4 cable, which brand are you looking at? i can only find the company linkup selling 4.0 risers but i cant find any reviews for them.

ty in advance for any help!!!

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
if you still plan on getting a gen 4 cable, which brand are you looking at? i can only find the company linkup selling 4.0 risers but i cant find any reviews for them.
The 3M riser seems to be good to go:
and following posts

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Hi ! super new to this and tying to compile the master list of everything i need to build a t1 (or maybe p1 now looking at the stock shortages of cpu/gpu's coming out) properly.

i saw Optimum's video about his issues with the gen 3 riser cable- is marcparis here mentioning that with the 6800xt the gen 3 riser cable isnt an issue? and to that effect pcie 4.0 isn't worth upgrading to?

ty in advance for any help!!!
No issue to use gen 3 riser with 6800XT and X570/B550 MB...except you need to setup MB bios to Gen 3 first (direct plug or plug gen 3 GPU).
Of course at each CMOS (or bios update) you need to redo it....very cumbersome for me personnally.
Thus I would like to go for Gen 4 with my future N-ATX case.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
No issue to use gen 3 riser with 6800XT and X570/B550 MB...except you need to setup MB bios to Gen 3 first (direct plug or plug gen 3 GPU).
Of course at each CMOS (or bios update) you need to redo it....very cumbersome for me personnally.
Thus I would like to go for Gen 4 with my future N-ATX case.
I'm in the same camp. If I hadn't got the 3M riser, I would rule out most cases instantly just because of the Gen 3 riser, and would probably end up with a classic layout case

Reactions: tessoftheriver

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Here is the picture of my personal build (yes, I need custom cables) using 92mm fan on 120mm AIO:

So you can use gpu of reference length (267mm, or 10.5"), such as the new RX6800, or 2080ti etc. Performance is similar to 120mm fan surprisingly.

Reactions: Fa5en and MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Here is the picture of my personal build (yes, I need custom cables) using 92mm fan on 120mm AIO:

So you can use gpu of reference length (267mm, or 10.5"), such as the new RX6800, or 2080ti etc. Performance is similar to 120mm fan surprisingly.
What components do you have? Full AMD?

capy

Caliper Novice
Nov 20, 2020
Hi, I am looking for advice! I want to build a desktop using this p-ATX v2 case. I am hoping to be able to fit the following:

1. An AMD 5950x.
  2. An AMD 6800 xt or 6900 xt.
  3. A motherboard with Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi 6, ideally).
  4. At least two M.2 drives, at least one of which is PCIe 4.0.
I do not really care about the rest (such as 2.5 inch drives).

Is this possible? Any recommendations of components that could make this work, or of compromises if this just would not work?

Quaddragon

Chassis Packer
Nov 11, 2020
I feel like the biggest obstacle would be cooling the 5950 Hardware Canucks did a good job with the Thermalright TRUE all copper edition. But I can't help but think this case is better optimised for a small TDP part. Power may also be in issue. Unless you already have an SFX 750.

Last edited:

capy

Caliper Novice
Nov 20, 2020
I feel like the biggest obstacle would be cooling the 5950 Hardware Canucks did a good job with the Thermalright TRUE all copper edition. But I can't help but think this case is better optimised for a small TDP part. Power may also be in issue. Unless you already have an SFX 750.
There would not be any obstacle to that, no?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
There would not be any obstacle to that, no?
Depending of your point of view, having 5950x (stock settings) on aircooling (IS-60 or AXP-100) in P-ATX is completely doable.
Main difference between beefier cpu cooler will be achieved clocks speed, especially with all cores working!

For gamers, don't forget that 95% of games designed using console hardware in mind...to be on safe side : Zen 2 with 8 cores/16 threads and you will on safe side!