Completed SFFtime presents: P-ATX, the 9L case with ATX and AIO support!

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
New risers are being made, so you will get a replacement, don't worry :) You might get it before the one you've ordered, we'll see!

Yes, you will require USB 3.0 angle adapter with most matx boards, there is just no way to design around it.

This SSD is not really standard, it should have the holes on the side like all others, but it probably has something to do with the RGB being the top priority.

Reactions: ZivZulander

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
I am finally back home, and I got some time to unbox my new favourite case and take a quick look. As a result, I am not going to give a thorough review here.

I am stunned by how nice the silver finish is! So, I am glad I picked that colour up. It's all round great and I couldn't be sadder that I am not going to be building anything in it soon. I wish I had the money right away, but oh well.

I have one strong concern though. The side panel is, indeed as others have pointed out, not as rigid as I would have liked. I am mainly going to be using this case in a backpack and moving around with it. Could someone please advise me whether it would be safe to, say, put it in a backpack and go on a plane? There will definitely be some weight on top of it. I can't imagine it being anything too heavy though. What do you think?

Yes, I also really like the silver finish :)

You can load the left panel unless it's something extremely heavy.

Reactions: ZivZulander

ZivZulander

Trash Compacter
Jan 12, 2020
New risers are being made, so you will get a replacement, don't worry :) You might get it before the one you've ordered, we'll see!

Yes, you will require USB 3.0 angle adapter with most matx boards, there is just no way to design around it.

This SSD is not really standard, it should have the holes on the side like all others, but it probably has something to do with the RGB being the top priority.

Thanks! Yes, it's just a weird SSD, definitely an aesthetics component.

I'll test some more stuff when I get new riser, but from limited testing so far I'm pretty pleased with most other aspects, particularly the cooling. No turbulence or noise issues. 60mm noiseblockers very quiet in this. ?

Reactions: riba2233

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Thanks! Yes, it's just a weird SSD, definitely an aesthetics component.

I'll test some more stuff when I get new riser, but from limited testing so far I'm pretty pleased with most other aspects, particularly the cooling. No turbulence or noise issues. 60mm noiseblockers very quiet in this. ?

That's great, do you have a link to these fans?

xKannibale

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2020
I am finally back home, and I got some time to unbox my new favourite case and take a quick look. As a result, I am not going to give a thorough review here.

I am stunned by how nice the silver finish is! So, I am glad I picked that colour up. It's all round great and I couldn't be sadder that I am not going to be building anything in it soon. I wish I had the money right away, but oh well.

I have one strong concern though. The side panel is, indeed as others have pointed out, not as rigid as I would have liked. I am mainly going to be using this case in a backpack and moving around with it. Could someone please advise me whether it would be safe to, say, put it in a backpack and go on a plane? There will definitely be some weight on top of it. I can't imagine it being anything too heavy though. What do you think?

As I've said this is mainly because there's a bit of play room between the main side panel and the main core of the case. I got around this pretty easily though. What I did was took some "hockey lizard skin grip tape" and placed it along the lips that the panel will rest against. This not only fills up the gap, but since it's grip tape secures the panel firmly in place making it impossible for any type of shifting while in transport.

As long as the weight is distributed along the width of the case and you're not resting something small and heavy directly in the center of the side panel. I would say it should hold up pretty well.

xKannibale

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2020
- Do SSDs need to have holes on the side to use the included adapter? My Team SSD doesn't have holes on the sides, just the back. Ended up mounting it using magnets just below the PSU, which works for me, so not a big deal:

That's very strange, every case I've ever used mounts the SSD with the side screws. I've never used a case that uses the back holes. Will definitely avoid that brand if that's true.

Edit: Also you can use some non-conductive super glue to glue the riser shielding down. That should be a temporary fix.

Last edited:

Linero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2017
Yes, I also really like the silver finish :)

You can load the left panel unless it's something extremely heavy.
You seem quite confident. Alright then, I will take your word for it and be at peace. Thank you for the awesome case once again :)

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
My SFX PSU has just gotten here today and I had a little bit of time to try and fit a 3-slot card into this case and would like to report a potential compatibility issue. My card is the Palit 2080 Ti Gaming Pro which has a backplate, and on this card the backplate clash with the bottom left ATX motherboard mounting post. The stand-off was just tall enough to prevent the card from being able to fit into the case. Also the PCIe riser was ever so slightly too short for this card (even if the motherboard mounting post wasn't there, the riser would've been too just slightly too short to be able to plug into the PCI slot. I briefly thought about getting the dremel out and removing the mounting post to make it fit (seeing as I don't plan on using an ATX board in this case, but in light of the shortness of the riser, I decided not to and just go back to my temporary ITX placeholder card).

Even though not all card may be affected by this (the backplate on my card has the top surface about 2mm higher than the top surface of the GPU PCB, the motherboard stand off was sitting close enough that even on a card without the back plate, I would be a bit concerned about this standoff coming into contact with SMD components on the back of the board. @riba perhaps the bottom row of stand-off could be modified in future revisions of the case to make them removable just like the MicroATX stand-off? I don't know how much this would add to the BOM, and how many triple slot cards are affected by this (I only have a sample size of one). Just a suggestion :)

Also, while we're talking about PCIe riser, I hope future revisions could also include a slightly longer length to better accomodate triple length cards (after failing to install my 2080 Ti, I gave up and tried installing my double slot card with the riser in the 3-slot position and found that I still couldn't plug it in due to the shortness). I also have found that my PCIe riser has actually split where the retainer rivet is (image). While the riser still works, it looks a bit precarious. I've clamped it back together and cover it with epoxy and let it cure, hopefully it holds up (I have also epoxied the fabric sleeving around the riser ribbon too, as that has started to split and pull away from where it meets the PCB). It seems to be OK for now but I would like to buy a replacement eventually, whenever it is available. Also the riser currently have the ribbon cable comes out the front of the PCB, meaning you have to fold it under the PCB and out the back when you screw it into the bottom of the case, for future revisions I think a riser with the ribbon coming out the back of the PCB would be better (eliminate the need to have one 180 degree bend as well as giving you a little bit extra length to work with.

I would also like to report a problem with the FlexATX PSU mounting bracket as it is currently set up. Currently, the bracket is designed such that the only way to mount a FlexATX unit was to have the side with the air inlet face the unventilated section of the case. I think the bracket needs to be reversed. (you can see the inlet holes completely blocked here ). I think this should be fixed (Probably not too much work to do, the actual design of the bracket is OK, but it needs to be mirrored 180 degrees where the longer arm needs to be towards the middle of the case instead of being adjacent to the face place).

Hopefully you find these suggestions useful in making future improvements :)

Aside from those niggles, the case has genuinely been very easy to work with, build quality is very nice one everything is assembled and noise level was actually quite pleasant, there's not much turbulent noise at all. I can't wait to put some watercooling in this (I did some quick measurements and determined there's adequate room to fit a HWLabs GTS 120 XFlow in this, just need to get all the hardware together)

Last edited:

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Thank you for your feedback, and bringing up some new data.

For the standoff interference, yeah, I guess I was checking in CAD with GPU that uses reference height backplate, some GPU-s have taller. You can cut the standoff of course, if you want I can tell you the method that will allow for installing provided brass standoff even after cutting the current one.

Flex supply, another victim of "standards". I oriented it this way so that the ac cable can fit, and I could only choose one orientation. Some models have perforations in that location, some don't, and also they can have ac connector oriented in a different way. So at this moment I would call flex-atx supply support limited.

All in all, I will be considering all of the feedback I got from everyone for the next revision, that is for sure, I want to make a product with as few flaws as possible, but it's not always easy with such space constrictions.

I am glad that you you are in general positive about this case, and I agree, it is relatively easy to work with, as much as it can be in an SFF case :)