Completed SFFtime presents: P-ATX, the 9L case with ATX and AIO support!

snailonni

Trash Compacter
Aug 27, 2019
Hi guys, here are some of my updates:
So to solve the problem of air turbulence, I decided to purchase a magnetic mesh. this is what it looks like with mesh put on it. It greatly reduced the turbulence from both my GPU fan and CPU cooler. Loved it!
Also, a note, since both my gpu and cpu fans are so close to the mesh that they will sometime touch it and create a noisy sound, I did a little mod on the mesh to prevent them from touching.

After having an unworking delid process 2 times. I think this time, the delid is actually working. My CPU temp drop from 90-95 degree C on prime95 test(I stopped the test one minute into 90 degrees as I do not want to fry my CPU, so the real temp maybe even higher) to a consistent 80-83 degree C. Which is pretty good

Also, just a side note. I realized i could just take the side panel off my pc like this pic, since I am putting it horizontally under my monitor riser. And I will get another 10+ degree drop in temp, better cooling, and less noise. Though I am not sure if this will have any important consequences that I overlooked. Please warn me aginst it if you know anything bad that could happen.

Lastly, I ran into the same riser cable issue after reassemble my pc. It either not detect GPU , or rendering my game at very low framerate, 10 FPS in 4k and 30ish in 1080P.

I use a 8700k and 1080ti in case anyone wondering

MartinElectronics

Chassis Packer
Nov 29, 2019
Sorry guys Im a bit late :) :
Here's my setup :
PSU : Corsair SF600
MB : Z390i Rog Strix
CPU : Intel Core i5 9600k
CPU cooler : Cryorig C7 Graphene + Cryorig RGB fan
RAM : 16 Gb G SKILL Trident Z 3200 CL16
Graphic card : RTX 2080 Super Ventus OC
Chassis fan : 3x Noiseblocker BlacksilentFan 60mm

SSD M2 : 970 EVO PLUS 250GB (SYSTEM)
SSD : CRUCIAL BX500 1TB (GAMES)

Im planning to get custom dust filters from Demcifilter.com, do anyone have advice for the dimension of that filter (i'd like to cover all the side panel from the outside as I still got few millimeters left between the stand and the panel)
I think it could prevent the case from falling down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dealda

snailonni

Trash Compacter
Aug 27, 2019
Here's my setup :

Im planning to get custom dust filters from Demcifilter.com, do anyone have advice for the dimension of that filter (i'd like to cover all the side panel from the outside as I still got few millimeters left between the stand and the panel)

I think if you reach out to demcifilter.com, tell them you have this p-atx case, and ask for their asistant to make a filter for you, they would do that?
But I found these filters from aiyue working great. though they are can't cover all the venting holes, they do cover like 80% on the side panel.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Hi guys, here are some of my updates:
So to solve the problem of air turbulence, I decided to purchase a magnetic mesh. this is what it looks like with mesh put on it. It greatly reduced the turbulence from both my GPU fan and CPU cooler. Loved it!

Also, a note, since both my gpu and cpu fans are so close to the mesh that they will sometime touch it and create a noisy sound, I did a little mod on the mesh to prevent them from touching.

After having an unworking delid process 2 times. I think this time, the delid is actually working. My CPU temp drop from 90-95 degree C on prime95 test(I stopped the test one minute into 90 degrees as I do not want to fry my CPU, so the real temp maybe even higher) to a consistent 80-83 degree C. Which is pretty good

Also, just a side note. I realized i could just take the side panel off my pc like this pic, since I am putting it horizontally under my monitor riser. And I will get another 10+ degree drop in temp, better cooling, and less noise. Though I am not sure if this will have any important consequences that I overlooked. Please warn me aginst it if you know anything bad that could happen.

Lastly, I ran into the same riser cable issue after reassemble my pc. It either not detect GPU , or rendering my game at very low framerate, 10 FPS in 4k and 30ish in 1080P.

I use a 8700k and 1080ti in case anyone wondering

Nice, looks like delid really helped!

I don't see anything wrong with taking off the left panel, you might only get a bit more dust.

Here's my setup :

Nice build, how are the temps with that gpu? Should be good since it has vertical fins.

Also I'm interested in CPU temps and if there is any turbulence with C7, it think it should be fine since it's not right against the panel.

Here is an image for anyone ordering custom filters (just add 10mm to the shown dimensions which are in mm):

Just be aware, there is not much space between GPU and the panel.

Reactions: snailonni

xKannibale

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2020
Here's my setup :

Since you're not really using much of the HDD bracket. You can break off the very back of it and just use the front half, attaching up to 1 HDD + 1 SSD on the front half or just a bunch of SSD. This allows you to use a slim fan as exhaust for the GPU in the space behind. Since open air GPU coolers like that spit out air behind them, it's a good way to get rid of any built up heat. Then use the top x3 60mm fans as intake, blowing down through the case.

I've tried this with a noctua slim fan just to see what would happen and yeah GPU went from like 79C to 74C.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Since you're not really using much of the HDD bracket. You can break off the very back of it and just use the front half, attaching up to 1 HDD + 1 SSD on the front half or just a bunch of SSD. This allows you to use a slim fan as exhaust for the GPU in the space behind. Since open air GPU coolers like that spit out air behind them, it's a good way to get rid of any built up heat. Then use the top x3 60mm fans as intake, blowing down through the case.

I've tried this with a noctua slim fan just to see what would happen and yeah GPU went from like 79C to 74C.

Thanks for pointing that out, snipping the HDD bracket in half is indeed a feature! :)

Ok guys I just want to give you a fair warning, I'm approaching low stock on white and silver units, I only have 3 white cases left and 7 silver ones!

MartinElectronics

Chassis Packer
Nov 29, 2019
Just played a few games for about two hours and I was very surprised by the results !
Running Shadow of Tomb Raider with all maxed out + DLSS and my temps are pretty amazing in that case, I was getting between 40-60FPS even after one hour.

With the Cryorig C7-G, CPU never went over 50°C (adjusted just a little the fan curve)
The RTX 2080 Super Ventus max temps 65°C
Keep in mind that its just a first test and I might try other recent games for a much longer test.

Here's a screenshot :

Yes I'm gonna try to contact someone from the website for dust filters.
I was actually planning to put it on the outside of the case with nice white magnetic frames.
As there are few millimeters that makes the case not being very stable on the stand, I think it could bye a very good solution (my case once loaded is a little tilt on the right and not perfectly right on the stand)

Reactions: riba2233

xKannibale

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2020
Just played a few games for about two hours and I was very surprised by the results !
Running Shadow of Tomb Raider with all maxed out + DLSS and my temps are pretty amazing in that case, I was getting between 40-60FPS even after one hour.

With the Cryorig C7-G, CPU never went over 50°C (adjusted just a little the fan curve)
The RTX 2080 Super Ventus max temps 65°C
Keep in mind that its just a first test and I might try other recent games for a much longer test.

Yes I'm gonna try to contact someone from the website for dust filters.
I was actually planning to put it on the outside of the case with nice white magnetic frames.
As there are few millimeters that makes the case not being very stable on the stand, I think it could bye a very good solution (my case once loaded is a little tilt on the right and not perfectly right on the stand)

Are you sure you're reading those temps correct? I've tested my C7g on my old R5 3600 and I get temp spikes as high as 71C. Although Zen 2 does use a lot more voltage than a 9600k, but that's still a 95w part vs a 65w. I assume you have sync on which is severely limiting your hardware from pushing to the limit.

Make sure it's actually seated in the 2 slots of the case in the bottom. If it's either too far forward or too far back it will lean to one side looking like it's off balance. If you get it right, then it will be perfectly straight.

What I ended up doing is adding some rubber feet to the bottom of the side panels and just using the case without the stand. Little more convenient for me.

Reactions: riba2233

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Are you sure you're reading those temps correct? I've tested my C7g on my old R5 3600 and I get temp spikes as high as 71C. Although Zen 2 does use a lot more voltage than a 9600k, but that's still a 95w part vs a 65w. I assume you have sync on which is severely limiting your hardware from pushing to the limit.

Make sure it's actually seated in the 2 slots of the case in the bottom. If it's either too far forward or too far back it will lean to one side looking like it's off balance. If you get it right, then it will be perfectly straight.

What I ended up doing is adding some rubber feet to the bottom of the side panels and just using the case without the stand. Little more convenient for me.

Ryzen 3000 runs HOT, it's just a characteristic of these new processors. Coffee Lake actually runs very cool especially the i5 parts that don't have hyperthreading.

Also, don't take AMD's 'TDP' numbers as gospel. They're basically made-up fantasy numbers (so does Intel's actually, but in a slightly different manner). At stock Ryzen 3600 probaly runs closer to 90-100W package power. If you have PBO enabled it will go even higher, compare that to Intel CPU behaviour (assuming stock settings i.e. MCE disabled) where the long duration power limit (PL1) is usually pretty close to that 95W number.

Here's one from TPU's review of the R5 3600:

xKannibale

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2020
Ryzen 3000 runs HOT, it's just a characteristic of these new processors. Coffee Lake actually runs very cool especially the i5 parts that don't have hyperthreading.

Also, don't take AMD's 'TDP' numbers as gospel. They're basically made-up fantasy numbers (so does Intel's actually, but in a slightly different manner). At stock Ryzen 3600 probaly runs closer to 90-100W package power. If you have PBO enabled it will go even higher, compare that to Intel CPU behaviour (assuming stock settings i.e. MCE disabled) where the long duration power limit (PL1) is usually pretty close to that 95W number.

Here's one from TPU's review of the R5 3600:

My R5 3600 reads as drawing 64-66w during gaming and 80-90w during CPU stress tests. Even so getting 40C on a 9600k is more or less idle temps, you can't get those kind of temps under load without a full custom loop. Which leads me to believe either the monitoring program he's using is wrong, and he should verify on a few different programs . Or he has some feature on like vsync which severely limits performance and thermals, because I know that model of the 2080 super will run at near 80C under full load and he's running at 55C without liquid cooling. Also, 40 fps on a 2 year old game using a 2080 super and DLSS enabled? Yeah, something going on there, even at 4k that GPU would blast that game.

Reactions: snailonni

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
My R5 3600 reads as drawing 64-66w during gaming and 80-90w during CPU stress tests. Even so getting 40C on a 9600k is more or less idle temps, you can't get those kind of temps under load without a full custom loop. Which leads me to believe either the monitoring program he's using is wrong, and he should verify on a few different programs . Or he has some feature on like vsync which severely limits performance and thermals, because I know that model of the 2080 super will run at near 80C under full load and he's running at 55C without liquid cooling. Also, 40 fps on a 2 year old game using a 2080 super and DLSS enabled? Yeah, something going on there, even at 4k that GPU would blast that game.

I don't know what resolution he's playing at, because Shadow of the Tomb Raider is actually quite a demanding game at 4K (2080 Super will barely hit 60fps at 4K without RT RT enabled) and it is possible that he's partially CPU limited (though the temps do seem a bit low for a maxed out CPU). With Ray Tracing on ultra it's well within the realm of posibility to bring the 2080S to its knees (sub-60fps)

xKannibale

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2020
I don't know what resolution he's playing at, because Shadow of the Tomb Raider is actually quite a demanding game at 4K (2080 Super will barely hit 60fps at 4K without RT RT enabled) and it is possible that he's partially CPU limited (though the temps do seem a bit low for a maxed out CPU). With Ray Tracing on ultra it's well within the realm of posibility to bring the 2080S to its knees (sub-60fps)

Those are without DLSS, which usually increases performance 20-30%. And he did say he is using it. The FPS might be spot on, but the temps definitely aren't, the best air cooled 2080 super on the market will hit at least 68C, while he's hitting 55C on MSIs budget cooler card the Ventus.

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
Those are without DLSS, which usually increases performance 20-30%. And he did say he is using it.

RTX 2080: 28FPS + 30% = 36.4 FPS

RTX 2080S I'm gonna assume is about 10% better, so 36.4 + 10% is about 40 FPS

Story seems to check out :)

You are correct that temps seems low, maybe he's based in Antarctica

xKannibale

Average Stuffer
Feb 5, 2020
RTX 2080: 28FPS + 30% = 36.4 FPS

RTX 2080S I'm gonna assume is about 10% better, so 36.4 + 10% is about 40 FPS

Story seems to check out :)

You are correct that temps seems low, maybe he's based in Antarctica

I've also seen R5 3600 reviews that put it at less power draw than the 9600k, so in reality it does seem the 9600k uses more power than a R5 3600 checking multiple different sources. This image falls in line with my every day testing of usage with PBO disabled hovering 64-66w on the R5 3600.

This is about 3 hours of total gaming with a R5 3600 and a C7g inside the P-ATX, even at max 63w we're peaking in the low 70s. This was taken after the PC got time to cool off for like 20 minutes, average temps were between 55-65C on the CPU.

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
I've also seen R5 3600 reviews that put it at less power draw than the 9600k, so in reality it does seem the 9600k uses more power than a R5 3600 checking multiple different sources. This image falls in line with my every day testing of usage with PBO disabled hovering 64-66w on the R5 3600.

This is about 3 hours of total gaming with a R5 3600 and a C7g inside the P-ATX, even at max 63w we're peaking in the low 70s. This was taken after the PC got time to cool off for like 20 minutes, average temps were between 55-65C on the CPU.

This is significantly lower than my own 3600 using a C7 non-G (peaks at 87 degrees on a Prime95 Small FFT workload after about 30 minutes). Perhaps I need to get a C7G to test (or perhaps not since the long term goal is to build a 120mm loop anyway)

Under AVX workload I think my package power is 98W, I'll have to check later. Have you ever ran a long duration AVX workload on your system and what are the temperatures like

Reactions: ZivZulander