Completed SFFtime presents: P-ATX, the 9L case with ATX and AIO support!

Linero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2017
Hey mate. I am really interested in your project and I have been following it for a while now. I noticed that you are planning on making a second but larger version of this case. I have one -middle of the road- question/suggestion then. How about an ATX version with 2.5 or 3 slot GPU allowance coupled with a 60mm cpu cooler height?

It's probably the epitome of niche when someone is interested in an SFF case that can house an E-ATX form factor build. Hence why my suggestion is, I imagine, probably more common. What do you think? =)

Can not wait for the white version of this case, by the way. I wouldn't settle for anything else!

Reactions: riba2233

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Hey mate. I am really interested in your project and I have been following it for a while now. I noticed that you are planning on making a second but larger version of this case. I have one -middle of the road- question/suggestion then. How about an ATX version with 2.5 or 3 slot GPU allowance coupled with a 60mm cpu cooler height?

It's probably the epitome of niche when someone is interested in an SFF case that can house an E-ATX form factor build. Hence why my suggestion is, I imagine, probably more common. What do you think? =)

Can not wait for the white version of this case, by the way. I wouldn't settle for anything else!

Hi, thank you for your interest! :)

The main point for larger case is both ATX motherboard and ATX psu support, EATX + SFX support is a nice side effect :) That said, it will be the smallest possible size for mentioned ATX mbo and psu support.

You idea is really nice actually, and I will consider it if I grow enough to offer such in-between product, but for now I would like to give advantage to model that suppports ATX psu, because that will allow most people to just put their existing components in new case, maybe only change CPU cooler (it will be up to 74-75 mm). I hope you get me :)

White version is not a plan right now, but again, if I grow enough I will sure offer it as an option.

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
This is a VERY interesting idea. I've long thought of something like this - using an ATX motherboard but essentially laying the GPU flat over the majority of it. Best compatibility, and also best use of space for the vast majority of users. Well done, hope this progresses quickly! I might actually hold off on purchases until I see where this goes, because you've definitely piqued my interest.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
This is a VERY interesting idea. I've long thought of something like this - using an ATX motherboard but essentially laying the GPU flat over the majority of it. Best compatibility, and also best use of space for the vast majority of users. Well done, hope this progresses quickly! I might actually hold off on purchases until I see where this goes, because you've definitely piqued my interest.

Thank you! :)

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018
He might be wondering if there will be a forwarding agent for ordering the case. Usually this is for when people cannot order something in their country so use a proxy or forwarding service like this one. https://www.forward2me.com/sign-up/

If you offer international shipping, then perhaps there's no need for proxies for US or other continental buyers?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
He might be wondering if there will be a forwarding agent for ordering the case. Usually this is for when people cannot order something in their country so use a proxy or forwarding service like this one. https://www.forward2me.com/sign-up/

If you offer international shipping, then perhaps there's no need for proxies for US or other continental buyers?

Well yeah, I will offer international shipping, so no worries there! I will ship literally anywhere ?

Reactions: CountNoctua

mr.squishy

Average Stuffer
Aug 5, 2019
Hi, I'm sorry but I can't figure out what do you mean by proxy? Thanks!

Yes this is exactly what I meant. Been spending too much time on the mechanical keyboard forums as of late I guess. Awesome!

Linero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2017
Hi, thank you for your interest! :)

The main point for larger case is both ATX motherboard and ATX psu support, EATX + SFX support is a nice side effect :) That said, it will be the smallest possible size for mentioned ATX mbo and psu support.

You idea is really nice actually, and I will consider it if I grow enough to offer such in-between product, but for now I would like to give advantage to model that suppports ATX psu, because that will allow most people to just put their existing components in new case, maybe only change CPU cooler (it will be up to 74-75 mm). I hope you get me :)

White version is not a plan right now, but again, if I grow enough I will sure offer it as an option.
I feel like you might have misunderstood me a little there. The iteration I proposed was to keep the ATX form factor (nothing more) and increase the depth of the case to allow for 60mm cooler height. As a result, space will be already created for a 3 slot GPU.

There are only two CPU cooler clearance heights that truly matter according to the currently available products on the market. Anything in between or over would be, more or less, a waste of space as there are no coolers that could make a difference. I will just quote the knowledgeable source to this information.
Yes. That was my comment. There are kind of magical numbers for coolers. Here they are:

Up to 40mm. This is about up to where the top of the IO cover sits. AR05, NH-L9, ITX30, IS-40.

Up to 48mm. This is based on intel stock cooler specs. C7, Black ridge, AXP-100 a couple unknown ones.

Up to 60mm. This is pretty much the smallest size for 120mm coolers that sits over the RAM. Big Shuriken 2b, Samuel 17, REEVEN Brontes, IS-50/60, AR06, AXP-200, Deepcool Grabiel.

And above that is pretty varied.

60mm is the sweet spot in my opinion. It gives a few decent choices and that is when the cooler can use 120mm fans. It is where your choices really open up. 55mm is a weird spot cause you can't use the 120mm coolers.

Edit: Regarding the white version of the case. Oh well, I hope it comes soon after the original one =)

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
What is the thickest GPU that will fit? Im wondering because um not sure if fittings will fit on the watercooled gpu

It's strict two slot, there is around 2 mm clearance to left panel, and around 8 mm to pcie slots on mbo:

I feel like you might have misunderstood me a little there. The iteration I proposed was to keep the ATX form factor (nothing more) and increase the depth of the case to allow for 60mm cooler height. As a result, space will be already created for a 3 slot GPU.

There are only two CPU cooler clearance heights that truly matter according to the currently available products on the market. Anything in between or over would be, more or less, a waste of space as there are no coolers that could make a difference. I will just quote the knowledgeable source to this information.

Edit: Regarding the white version of the case. Oh well, I hope it comes soon after the original one =)

Yeah I got you, and it makes sense but for the start I wanted to offer two variants, one that fits ATX board and SFX psu and be as small as possible, and other that fits ATX board and ATX psu, and also as small as possible. That's why I said that your option is kind of in between :) It's nice because it would allow for 2.5 slot gpu and a higher cooler, but would be around 10.6 liters which is good number and I will definitely consider it for later, so thank you for the idea!

There are a few good coolers that would benefit from 74mm clearance, like Noctua NH-L12s and NH-N9x65, and big shuriken 3 are on top of my mind, and also few of those sub 60 with thicker fan.

Also the white version would need to have the aluminum pieces powdercoated instead of anodized, so depending on your taste it could look less premium. I'm just reading that white anodizing is possible, but you have to do special surface treatment and hard anodizing which is probably expensive through the roof.

MarceloSiciliano

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2018
It's strict two slot, there is around 2 mm clearance to left panel, and around 8 mm to pcie slots on mbo:

Yeah I got you, and it makes sense but for the start I wanted to offer two variants, one that fits ATX board and SFX psu and be as small as possible, and other that fits ATX board and ATX psu, and also as small as possible. That's why I said that your option is kind of in between :) It's nice because it would allow for 2.5 slot gpu and a higher cooler, but would be around 10.6 liters which is good number and I will definitely consider it for later, so thank you for the idea!

There are a few good coolers that would benefit from 74mm clearance, like Noctua NH-L12s and NH-N9x65, and big shuriken 3 are on top of my mind, and also few of those sub 60 with thicker fan.

Also the white version would need to have the aluminum pieces powdercoated instead of anodized, so depending on your taste it could look less premium. I'm just reading that white anodizing is possible, but you have to do special surface treatment and hard anodizing which is probably expensive through the roof.
I think it wont fit :( . I might need to wait for the 2,5 or 3 slot version

Linero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2017

Oh, I guess I was the one who did misunderstand after all. My apologies then!

But yeah, that sounds like a great direction to take. Though, I would not say 74mm to be "as small as possible". I don't know all that much about the technical details on the construction of these cases. However, another case concept seems to be able to achieve 3 slot GPU allowance with 59mm CPU cooler height.

Either way, I guess you will not be going through with this in the near future. So we can leave it to when the time comes. It's already great that you have the intention of doing it. I will be awaiting your upcoming case release with a lot of anticipation. I will try my best to provide feedback when necessary and able to. Wishing you the best of luck!

Again... I almost forgot. From what I can recall, an SFF case that sold white coloured cases, were powercoated instead of anodized. It looked more than fine to me.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Oh, I guess I was the one who did misunderstand after all. My apologies then!

But yeah, that sounds like a great direction to take. Though, I would not say 74mm to be "as small as possible". I don't know all that much about the technical details on the construction of these cases. However, another case concept seems to be able to achieve 3 slot GPU allowance with 59mm CPU cooler height.

Either way, I guess you will not be going through with this in the near future. So we can leave it to when the time comes. It's already great that you have the intention of doing it. I will be awaiting your upcoming case release with a lot of anticipation. I will try my best to provide feedback when necessary and able to. Wishing you the best of luck!

Again... I almost forgot. From what I can recall, an SFF case that sold white coloured cases, were powercoated instead of anodized. It looked more than fine to me.

Thank you a lot for support! ?

It actually will be as small as spossible for ATX PSU support, since it's 86mm thick, so you can go below that on internal width :)

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Hi guys, I need your opinion on this one. I'm realized that the case could potentially look better with left side panel perforations all the way through.

So, here we have, option number one, current design:

Option 1:

New idea, perforations all the way through:

Option 2:

And bonus, option 2 but without small holes:

Option 3:

What to you like the most? I think that the option 2 is the most elegant.

And full album if someone wants larger pictures:

Thank you in advance! ?

Linero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2017
I would personally be completely against perforation all the way through. It would greatly impact the rigidity of the side panel while making it ugly. All that for probably minimal to no positive gains in any way.