Completed SFFtime presents: N-ATX - 14 L case with ATX mbo and psu, 4-slot gpu and 360mm rad support!

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Any update on the prototype?

Yes, I have just received the prototype, and it looks great, it is very sturdy and everything works out like on the design!

Here are some pictures, and yes, those are 360mm rad and 160mm long ATX psu in 14 L case!

Link to album:

I will add more pictures later, still have to test fit some components.

I actually got the parts last week, but the main piece had some errors so I asked them to repeat it and it turned out perfect the second time, so everything fit like it should, and it's very sturdy.

Kit

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 2, 2019
What'd be cool is for you to give some recommendations for custom made psu cable lengths, obviously they need to be advertised as estimates as everyone has different hardware

I would like to have a try at making my own one day...

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
What'd be cool is for you to give some recommendations for custom made psu cable lengths, obviously they need to be advertised as estimates as everyone has different hardware

I would like to have a try at making my own one day...

I think this is gonna be tricky because the appropriate cable length will depend greatly on whether or not you're using ATX or ITX motherboard, SFX or ATX PSU, whether you're mounting the graphics card on the top or bottom of the case, and depending on graphics card, this will change the length requirement as well (a lot of new 3000 series graphis cards have their power connector in the middle of the card instead of at the rear end.

So, your ATX 24 pin cable will need a different length if you're:
* Using ATX PSU with an ATX motherboard
* Using SFX PSU with an ITX motherboard

The difference could be quite substantial as well, we're talking like 6-7cm different just based on the difference in size between the ATX connector position between ATX and ITX motherboard, as well as differences in power supply (some have their ATX connector closer or further away from one side, for example)

Similarly, the graphics card is no different, if you're using a large 300mm long 3-slot card with the PCIe connectors at the very rear end of the card, you could be looking at 5-10cm difference in cable length compared to an ITX-sized 180mm long card with the PCIe connector at the end of the card.

I wouldn't even know where to start if I had to make a generic cable length recommendation for something as flexible as this N-ATX case.

Reactions: Kit

Kit

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 2, 2019
True, I guess it's allot easier when you only need to take ITX and SFX into account, maybe worst/longest case scenarios?

Retrias

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 28, 2018
That look real amazing actually, patiently waiting for this case. This would enable me to buy ATX case with more than 2 m.2 slot and other feature while still keeping the form factor rather compact

Reactions: riba2233

Camo5

Chassis Packer
Sep 5, 2020
Now I'm really curious about the feet mounting. I have a skinny UPS that this chassis would fit almost perfectly on, and I was considering mounting them together. Could we get a post about the current plan for routing cabling and wires?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Now I'm really curious about the feet mounting. I have a skinny UPS that this chassis would fit almost perfectly on, and I was considering mounting them together. Could we get a post about the current plan for routing cabling and wires?

All of the cables will come from the rear side, if that is what you meant. If you don't want to use the stand, you can put some stick on feet, make sure they are at least 10-15mm tall. It will be a bit less stable, but probably not too much.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Very interesting variant.
I must admit that despite being a absolute fan of SFF since almost 12 years, my experience with Cerberus-X and ATX motherboards tends to prove my preference to ATX MB instead of mini ITX (for many reasons : space for cpu cooler, sound card quality, expansions slot, on board devices, aso)

Thus I love seeing new ATX SSF cases..:)

Compared to P-ATX V2 I saw that GPU compatibility will move to 3 slots GPU while using ATX MB, with 79mm cpu cooler clearance (ideal for shuriken 3 with 25mm fan?..:))? Am I correct?
If that's the case, when will it be available?..:D

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Very interesting variant.
I must admit that despite being a absolute fan of SFF since almost 12 years, my experience with Cerberus-X and ATX motherboards tends to prove my preference to ATX MB instead of mini ITX (for many reasons : space for cpu cooler, sound card quality, expansions slot, on board devices, aso)

Thus I love seeing new ATX SSF cases..:)

Compared to P-ATX V2 I saw that GPU compatibility will move to 3 slots GPU while using ATX MB, with 79mm cpu cooler clearance (ideal for shuriken 3 with 25mm fan?..:))? Am I correct?
If that's the case, when will it be available?..:D

Yes, that is right, ATX mbo, ATX psu, 3-slot GPU and 79mm cpu cooler, all at the same time! And also a few hard drives on top of that.

I can't tell for sure on when it will be available though, hopefully within 2-3 months.

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Yes, that is right, ATX mbo, ATX psu, 3-slot GPU and 79mm cpu cooler, all at the same time! And also a few hard drives on top of that.

I can't tell for sure on when it will be available though, hopefully within 2-3 months.
After double checking, Shiruken 3 while using 25mm fan can reach 80mm...hate those approximate on CPU cooler height (ID cooling is the champion..;))

Thus what is best air cpu cooler you will recommend for N-ATX?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
After double checking, Shiruken 3 while using 25mm fan can reach 80mm...hate those approximate on CPU cooler height (ID cooling is the champion..;))

Thus what is best air cpu cooler you will recommend for N-ATX?

From the top of my head, best ones would be Noctua L12s, Phanteks PH-TC12LS and Big shuriken 3 but with stock fan. There are probably many others, Id-cooling has some interesting options etc.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
From the top of my head, best ones would be Noctua L12s, Phanteks PH-TC12LS and Big shuriken 3 but with stock fan. There are probably many others, Id-cooling has some interesting options etc.
Why not pushing thickness to match L12S in pushpull of slim fan? ie 85/86mm?
Are you not fearing to recycle hot GPU air in cpu cooling while just using L12S, 70mm tall with 79mm wide case?..:)