Completed SFFtime presents: N-ATX - 14 L case with ATX mbo and psu, 4-slot gpu and 360mm rad support!

Retrias

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 28, 2018
thats an amazing build actually , really showing the potential of what you can put on a 14l case with a really small footprint. Are you going to do an atx sample build ?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
@riba2233 congrats! the build is looking fantastic!

I know this is a weird question but could you make the upper GPU position adjustable? i.e. possible mount the GPU 20-25mm higher since there seems to be a lot of space left up top? I'm asking because for the Crosshair VIII Impact board, there's a SO.DIMM card that would interfere with the GPU in the current upper position, and thus the GPU would need to be mounted 20-25mm higher to clear it.

Thank you man! Unfortunately not possible because of the way it mounts, also with mDTX you don't gain much, still can't put rad under it, it is only for ITX configurations.

thats an amazing build actually , really showing the potential of what you can put on a 14l case with a really small footprint. Are you going to do an atx sample build ?

Thanks :) I did take some pictures to compare the similar configuration in P-ATX vs N-ATX, I will post them later here.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Great ! did you log in temperatures and performance as well ?
No, I only put some parta in for the picture. I am Sorry but I just don't have time for proper air cooling testing. I did run 3700x with wraith spire (new edition, without copper) and it was cool (60-65c depending on rpm), and the air was exhausting through the top panel without any issues

Retrias

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 28, 2018
No, I only put some parta in for the picture. I am Sorry but I just don't have time for proper air cooling testing. I did run 3700x with wraith spire (new edition, without copper) and it was cool (60-65c depending on rpm), and the air was exhausting through the top panel without any issues
yeah thats fine , I would be using what I think is a better cooler and lower powered cpu I think , so that sort of temperature on the 3700x is amazing. hope you can release this soon !

Moongata

Efficiency Noob
Jan 22, 2020
@riba2233 once again, you've created an amazing case!

I was wondering if the N-ATX could fit the following components:

Asus b550-i ITX motherboard
Team Group Vulcan lp ram
Corsair SF750 PSU
2-slot GPU <250mm in length in the upper position
Corsair H100i 240mm AIO in the lower position
3.5in HDD next to the AIO

D

Deleted member 23607

Team Group Vulcan lp ram
Corsair SF750 PSU
Seems like it should fit without a hitch.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com

Team Group Vulcan lp ram
Corsair SF750 PSU
I will check tomorrow :)

Reactions: Moongata

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com

Team Group Vulcan lp ram
Corsair SF750 PSU

It should work, you can either put gpu in the upper position if the corsairs block height is lower than 37mm (no official data unfortunately), or if you find that too finicky you can put gpu in lower position and put some 15mm fans on the AIO.

Reactions: Moongata

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
@riba2233

Stupid question from my side.
In terms of thickness/depth, is it possible to put 3 slots GPU + 25mm fans on back (while using mini ITX MB or course)?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
@riba2233

Stupid question from my side.
In terms of thickness/depth, is it possible to put 3 slots GPU + 25mm fans on back (while using mini ITX MB or course)?
Yes, no problem! This is the configuration for brutal gpu airflow, I would say that with it you can get best possible temps for air cooled gpu.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Yes, no problem! This is the configuration for brutal gpu airflow, I would say that with it you can get best possible temps for air cooled gpu.
Thanks for your confirmation. This will be really important (especially based on CL530 experience, to reach next level..;))
Will fan placement imposed on back? 3x120? 2x140?
Based on below photos, I would say 120mm fans are maximum height and position is also imposed by case frame, am i correct?

PS : what is maximum GPU height allowed in N-ATX?

Last edited:

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Thanks for your confirmation. This will be really important (especially based on CL530 experience, to reach next level..;))
Will fan placement imposed on back? 3x120? 2x140?
Based on below photos, I would say 120mm fans are maximum height and position is also imposed by case frame, am i correct?

PS : what is maximum GPU height allowed in N-ATX?
Yes, 3x120. I was planning on supporting 140mm fans, but it was not worth it, too much design conplications. Max height is 140mm with atx board (or 135 if your motherboard has ram slots really low like some hest boards), and with itx it's 140mm for 4slot gpus and more for 3slot, maybe even up to 150, I would need to double check.

Unofficial

Cable Smoosher
May 31, 2020
In the last config, how much space is there for a radiator and fans before it starts interfering with a standard dual slot GPU?

I know it has a max GPU length of 270 w/ 240mm radiator and 245 w/ 280mm, but how big is the gap between the part where it mounts and the back of a GPU?

How big is the gap between the top of a radiator and the top of the case?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
I'm SOLD. now the ultimate question: when and how much? 🤣

is this still the expectation or has it been revised?

Thanks :) I have already ordered sheet metal for it actually, so it will come as planned. I will know the exact date once I have cases powder-coated.

It will be more expensive than P-ATx in any case, there is just not much I can do about it and sheet metal prices went up by 30%.

In the last config, how much space is there for a radiator and fans before it starts interfering with a standard dual slot GPU?

I know it has a max GPU length of 270 w/ 240mm radiator and 245 w/ 280mm, but how big is the gap between the part where it mounts and the back of a GPU?

How big is the gap between the top of a radiator and the top of the case?

Last config, you mean one with gpu in upper position, ATX mbo, sfx psu and 280mm radiator? If you want to overlap 2-slot gpu and radiator with fans, you are basically limited to 27-30mm rad and 15mm fans. Between rad and top of the case depends, since rads are on slots and can be positioned vertically. But max would be around 12-15 mm for 280 rad, and around 50 mm for 240 rad.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Other stupid questions from me :
  • Will the N-ATX compatible with magnet? Steel is very useful to use with hifi feet with magnetic tape..:)
  • Is it possible to flip case stand/big foot? Having gpu on top is great to protect mb and psu from gpu exhausted

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Thanks :) I have already ordered sheet metal for it actually, so it will come as planned. I will know the exact date once I have cases powder-coated.

It will be more expensive than P-ATx in any case, there is just not much I can do about it and sheet metal prices went up by 30%.
yeah, fully aware of that. looking at it glass half full, that means eating the shipping cost becomes much more palatable as it is now 'cheaper' (as a % of the cost of the case). Q2 can't come quick enough

Retrias

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 28, 2018

The price should still be fine , cant wait for this case on q2

Reactions: riba2233

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Other stupid questions from me :
  • Will the N-ATX compatible with magnet? Steel is very useful to use with hifi feet with magnetic tape..:)
  • Is it possible to flip case stand/big foot? Having gpu on top is great to protect mb and psu from gpu exhausted

Yes, everything will be steel except from the mask which we be aluminum. I had to do this to keep it light enough not to get into next price tier for shipping (over 5kg).

It doesn't have official support for inverted orientation, you could stick some feet to the top panel and invert it, but I don't recommend it, since I am sure that it will actually have worse cpu and psu temps. And some of the gpu exhaust could still get to cpu because of active airflow. You can always try it out :)

yeah, fully aware of that. looking at it glass half full, that means eating the shipping cost becomes much more palatable as it is now 'cheaper' (as a % of the cost of the case). Q2 can't come quick enough

True :D

The price should still be fine , cant wait for this case on q2

Thanks!