Motherboard SFF Threadripper motherboard petition thread

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
With the "resurgence" of the Mini-DTX platform (being the singular ASUS Crosshair VIII Impact), maybe DTX is where the TR4 socket should be for a true SFF build...?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
I guess there'd be finally a place for the X399 PCH, but that doesn't solve the VRM and RAM crowding problem ._.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I guess there'd be finally a place for the X399 PCH, but that doesn't solve the VRM and RAM crowding problem ._.
Well, Asus fit the PCH (not the right term for AMD, but never mind) and VRM all inside of the rear I/O block on their DTX board. If an X399 DTX ditched the rather silly huge audio daughterboard Asus has, it might be doable, at least if they "limit" it to 180W TDP CPUs. I struggle to see how they'd fit more than two SO-DIMMs on there, though. And even with a second x16 slot below the first, there'd be a rather desperate need for other ways to use up PCIe lanes.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
On a daughter board of course! ;)
Just think Asus audio daughter board, but for networking.
An SFP+ socket is AFAICT taller than that daughterboard, and would more than likely interfere with any GPU put into the x16 slot.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Have you SEEN the ROG Strix X570-I? The daughter board is the same height as the built in io plate!
Ah, I thought you were talking about the Crosshair VIII Impact. Yes, that daughterboard stack is crazy tall. I have my eye on one of those, looking forward to seeing it in person - it looks like some crazy architectural concept :p With that layout I suppose you could fit an SFP+ socket in there, but fitting the (huge!) controller package would still be a challenge - I don't think that daughterboard stack is wide enough for the ones Google shows me. Still, might be possible. Something on the rear I/O would need to go, though.

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
Ah, I thought you were talking about the Crosshair VIII Impact. Yes, that daughterboard stack is crazy tall. I have my eye on one of those, looking forward to seeing it in person - it looks like some crazy architectural concept :p With that layout I suppose you could fit an SFP+ socket in there, but fitting the (huge!) controller package would still be a challenge - I don't think that daughterboard stack is wide enough for the ones Google shows me. Still, might be possible. Something on the rear I/O would need to go, though.
What's the power draw on the controller? Could you stick it on the back of a motherboard?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
@VegetableStu
I made an mATX mockup of an AMD x399 board. I would love to see something like this.

aaaaaaand 2019 edition

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Reeee. Me no like tiny fan.

It will go WHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRwwwwwwwwwhhhhiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrWHIRRRRRRRRR
Unless this chipset is a lot hotter than X570 it will only run when needed, which won't be often. Of course this chipset will use some extra power over X570 (that x8 uplink will consume more power at least), but the difference isn't likely to be big. If that isn't enough, remove the stock fan and stick a stripped-down Noctua in there.

Reactions: dealda

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
i might take on der8auer's experiment to slap a copper chipset block on it, so there's that.

depending on how much more heat the chipset generates vs X570

Last edited: