Motherboard SFF Threadripper motherboard petition thread

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
It's a mockup: Asus wouldn't call an Intel Consumer-line enthusiast OC mITX board (Maximus Impact) the same for ThreadRipper and just increment the number. The "Hero" on the top heatsink also stands out because of this.
Still it is very good mockup. I think that Impact style rised VRMs would allow for a ThreadRipper ITX motherboard and maybe even serious OCing.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Threadripper ROG boards will have the "Zenith" branding on them. So if there was ever one, it would be most likely coined "Zenith Impact" and then "Zenith II Impact" the next generation, etc.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Quick99

Cable Smoosher
Feb 8, 2019
If someone builds a ITX threadripper mobo it should have dual 10GbE and 8x M.2 x4 slots on the back as an attempt to use up some of those 64 pcie lanes. I guess they could use up the rest of the lanes with thunderbolt 3 ports on the IO panel.

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
If someone builds a ITX threadripper mobo it should have dual 10GbE and 8x M.2 x4 slots on the back as an attempt to use up some of those 64 pcie lanes. I guess they could use up the rest of the lanes with thunderbolt 3 ports on the IO panel.
I'd be okay with just 3 or 4 m.2 slots, that's still be enough for raid 5 and just the core density of threadripper on mitx would be insane. I really wouldn't expect there to be a ton of extras on the board though because threadripper + a vrm that can handle it would pretty much consume the entire board as is. Might have to have another vrm on a daughter board ;)
I'd think more important than using more of the pcie lanes though would be quad channel so-dimm like the "little monster" board has.

Quick99

Cable Smoosher
Feb 8, 2019
I'd be okay with just 3 or 4 m.2 slots, that's still be enough for raid 5 and just the core density of threadripper on mitx would be insane. I really wouldn't expect there to be a ton of extras on the board though because threadripper + a vrm that can handle it would pretty much consume the entire board as is. Might have to have another vrm on a daughter board ;)
I'd think more important than using more of the pcie lanes though would be quad channel so-dimm like the "little monster" board has.
The board has to have an ethernet controller, might as well be a 10GbE, I'm guessing they don't really take up more space than the 1GbE controllers. And the M.2 slots wouldn't take up any front side board space. They are basically just traces straight from the CPU into the little M.2 connector. The Thunderbolt ports would require extra chips though, probably not worth it.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
The board has to have an ethernet controller, might as well be a 10GbE, I'm guessing they don't really take up more space than the 1GbE controllers. And the M.2 slots wouldn't take up any front side board space. They are basically just traces straight from the CPU into the little M.2 connector. The Thunderbolt ports would require extra chips though, probably not worth it.

No, we need thunderbot, that way I can connect a second GPU externally to my desktop.

ex, have a WS card in the system, and then plug in a gaming card externally when I want to game.

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
It'd have to have a daughter board for the m.2 probably, the socket would take up too much space on the front and back of the board.

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
No, we need thunderbot, that way I can connect a second GPU externally to my desktop.

ex, have a WS card in the system, and then plug in a gaming card externally when I want to game.
Or just have a pcie gen 4 16 lane slot that you bifurcate out to 4 cards ;)

Reactions: Windfall

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Sorry folks, Threadripper on an ITX board is just not going to happen; nowhere near enough space for much of anything once the socket, VRM, & PCH are in place...

Let's hope that AMD can find a way to give us ITX users more memory bandwidth once the 16C/32T Ryzen 9's come out...!

Reactions: Therandomness

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017
Sorry folks, Threadripper on an ITX board is just not going to happen; nowhere near enough space for much of anything once the socket, VRM, & PCH are in place...

Let's hope that AMD can find a way to give us ITX users more memory bandwidth once the 16C/32T Ryzen 9's come out...!
ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE WITH ENOUGH DAUGHTERBOARDS! -Asus (probably)

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
@VegetableStu
I made an mATX mockup of an AMD x399 board. I would love to see something like this.

Astounding how close to accurate this is to the actual board now available, except for the ram slots... only 4 on the actual thing...