SFF Threadripper motherboard petition thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aibohphobia, May 30, 2017.

1. Aibohphobia

Aibohphobia aka James
    Thread Starter Chimera Industries

#1 Aibohphobia, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    I know this topic will come up repeatedly so this thread will serve as the gathering point for Threadripper in a SFF-friendly motherboard form factor. Whether that's microATX, Mini-DTX, Mini-ITX, DTX, or really just anything smaller than ATX.

JosephEK, Soul_Est, Acalanata and 4 others like this.
  2. VegetableStu

VegetableStu Shrink Way Wielder

Got lazy today and drew this. Come to think of it, I'd like to see if Asrock could do Threadripper on an ITX board

[​IMG]

3. alamilla

alamilla SFF Lingo Aficionado

If they use SO-DIMM memory as suggested it's a (wishful) possibility.
    They could potentially be placed on the rear of the board along with M.2 slots.

The further I learn about the X299 platform the more I become frustrated.
    Reduced PCIe lanes for the lower tier SKUs, non-soldered dies, lack of ECC support, sky high prices.
    I will definitely be holding out to see what Threadripper brings to the table.

4. MarcParis

MarcParis Shrink Way Wielder

let's hope Asrock will launch this TR4 socket mini itx board..:)

5. VegetableStu

They could only fit the single-storey flat SODIMM slot behind, but I'd think it's enough to move two of them behind (and probably the 2 m.2 slots). It's going to be a super tight build-and-hopefully-forget system, because troubleshooting the underside of the mobo might need complete removal...

I just had the thought of a second PCB layer position at roughly the height of a PCIe slot actually. Not to jinx myself, but when I get time I'll do a quick 3D mockup on what I mean

Acalanata and alamilla like this.
  6. Dyson Poindexter

Dyson Poindexter If there's empty space, it's too big!

I believe SODIMM slots, even laying down are too tall for the back of a motherboard. There's a keep-out spec somewhere.

Why not "lift" the PCB by 2-4mm and have a low profile (shorter) PCIe slot? The rear IO should still fit, and the PCI slot bracket is the only other constraint. Then the rear could hold SODIMMs with no issues.

Routing ~1152 traces though a 8-14 layer PCB might be a bit of a challenge though! :p

Therandomness and Biowarejak like this.
  7. EdZ

EdZ Virtual Realist
    Gold Supporter

PCIe cards 'bottom out' in the slots, so if you raise the board the PCIe card will also rise.

8. VegetableStu

I vaguely recall some STX boards doing that RAM thing though, that's my I mentioned it. I could be wrong...

9. Aibohphobia

Aibohphobia aka James

ASRock actually didn't completely dismiss Threadripper on Mini-ITX when I asked, but they made clear that there were absolutely no plans for such a thing anytime soon.

And I got the impression that they didn't foresee there being enough demand to justify the hefty R&D before something new and better came along.

Soul_Est, Acalanata, Phuncz and 4 others like this.
  10. Dyson Poindexter

Dyson Poindexter If there's empty space, it's too big!

Unless the PCB of the GPU hits the PCB of the motherboard, there's room. It would require a special slot component with an open bottom.

11. |||

||| King of Cable Management

Does AMD not have plans to support this socket as long as AM4 (which they claim will be the supported socket out through 2020)?

12. alamilla

alamilla SFF Lingo Aficionado

[​IMG]

Soul_Est, zovc, Acalanata and 4 others like this.
  13. Aibohphobia

Aibohphobia aka James

That's what I mean though, I got the feeling that ASRock felt by the time computing demands are enough to justify cramming even a massive CPU like Threadripper into Mini-ITX, it would be obsolete.

14. jtd871

jtd871 SFF Guru

I'm sure AMD will happily take money from those who don't like intel's marketing...

SeñorDonut likes this.
  15. VegetableStu

hahahahha I'll stop. looks damned ridiculous LOL

16. |||

||| King of Cable Management

Multiple boards stacked on one another have been done for a long time in servers. They usually go by the moniker of "mezzanine boards."

[​IMG]

They do add a fair amount of complexity and signal integrity become an issue with very high frequency I/O signalling.

17. 3lfk1ng

3lfk1ng King of Cable Management
    Site Staff Gold Supporter

#17 3lfk1ng, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    @VegetableStu
    I made an mATX mockup of an AMD x399 board. I would love to see something like this.
    [​IMG]

NATi, Soul_Est, Acalanata and 5 others like this.
  18. Phryq

Phryq Cable-Tie Ninja

This is exactly what I've been wanting... mmmm.... probably costs way too much.

19. SeñorDonut

Gold Supporter

And I made a (very shitty) ITX mockup! M.2 on the back, I guess...

[​IMG]

vseddie, NATi, Soul_Est and 7 others like this.
  20. 3lfk1ng

3lfk1ng King of Cable Management
    Site Staff Gold Supporter