Motherboard SFF Threadripper motherboard petition thread

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
With the CoreWarsⓇ in full swing, I feel like the industry as a whole still has some serious catching up to do.
As a result, for anyone 100% dedicated to gaming, the performance of a $1000 1950x on paper will likely match that of an 1800x in games. For other heavily threaded applications, the thing will be an unstoppable monster.

TR 1950x = 3.4GHz/4.0GHz boost (16c/32t)
TR 1920x = 3.5GHz/4.0GHz boost (12c/24t)
R7 1800x = 3.6GHz/4.0Ghz boost (8c/16t)
R7 1700x = 3.4GHz/3.8GHz boost (8c/16t)
R7 1700 = 3.0GHz/3.7GHz boost (8c/16t)

At this time, there are very few games/game engines that will take advantage of all the cores and even in those unique cases (i.e. Star Citizen), higher single threaded performance will likely provide a higher framerate still (at least for now).

With 8-cores finally becoming affordable to the masses, I feel like in just a few years game engines will really start to take advantage of the added cores but until that time comes, I think the Ryzens are still a pretty wise investment for a futureproof rig.

No matter the direction that you decide to take, both Ryzen and the Threadripper are based on the use of ZEN cores, so their lifespan will likely run parallel (4 year platform cycle). This means that once Zen2 and Zen3 are available, AMD can quickly bump up the entire range, so you could always buy into either platform (AM4 or TR4) on the cheap and upgrade later as the platform continues to mature.

I think that is my plan- I want to buy into Threadripper on the 'cheap' (1920x) and if needed, replace the processor with a faster one later.
If we're lucky, I will even replace the ATX motherboard with an mATX/ITX motherboard if one is ever released.

dbjungle

Caliper Novice
Apr 17, 2017
I would buy a Threadripper ITX board. I probably wouldn't build Threadripper without it. I already have a 1700 so that would be my only real incentive to upgrade any time soon. I would also build Ryzen on STX if possible.

benjiro

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2017
I think the Geeks here will have no issue with a ITX TR board. But from a practical point, given the size ... its going to be a challenge. And also the market is smaller for a 800/1000$ processor. On the other hand, Asrock did make the X299E-ITX/AC board...

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Seems our PC guys in the company are starting to go bonkers over Threadripper after seeing the clock speeds are the same as Ryzen. Sadly it will be awhile before the game engines are optimized for multi-threaded performance like this, and several years after that until games get released on those optimized engines.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Do we know for sure if Threadripper is a full SOC and can be run without the X399 chipset?

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Did Bill from Asrock already reply to this thread?
I am also very interested in an TR4 itx board. If Asrock will make a board i will make the HSLP-48 compatible.

But please no 4xSODIMM board. I think a 2x normal DIMM solutions is better because it will save space and you don't need stacked daughter boards for controller s.o. As I know from my Asrock x99e-itx the performance lost between quad and dual channel is very low.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2017
BTW, Tom's Hardware put up some technical drawings of the socket... http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-x399-threadripper-tr4-socket,35101.html

118x78±0.25mm for the lazy amongst us. Fun fact: the STX mockup I posted earlier in this thread used a socket size of 117x77 :eek:

And I thought trying to fit it on STX was crazy...

Last edited: