Motherboard Mini-DTX petition thread!

nox

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2017
just adding a need for a mini-dtx board to this thread :) I don't care if it's intel or amd. was hopng to see something a little more adventurous with the new Ryzen releases but no such luck.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
I'm guessing the initial capital investment for development of a groundbreaking motherboard is too high to justify the perceived risk to many board oems. AsRock does produce some interesting designs, but they don't carry their innovative features onto their total board stack, and the total execution of giving enthusiasts a really innovative and high-end offering has been (in my opinion) somewhat tepid.

With Ryzen offering real competition to Intel, I'd love to see *somebody* do a no-holds-barred, f*ck-the-price, push-the-envelope-all-the-way-out-the-other-side engineering showpiece gaming/server/workstation-ish mobo that focuses like a laser on putting the most ridiculous amount of computing speed and power into a mITX board possible, maximizing the utilization of available PCIe lanes, ruthlessly cutting or redesigning anything that takes up too much space (ATX 24-pin power connector, USB headers, DVI - I'm looking at you) and maximizing the space efficiency of everything else (SO-DIMM RAM slots, M.2 slots (storage), stacked SATA connectors?), even possibly using daughterboards like ASUS does. No superfluous g4m3r-y styling or loud colors, either, just basic black.

I won't be holding my breath.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
was hopng to see something a little more adventurous with the new Ryzen releases but no such luck.

From talking with the motherboard makers at CES, many of them were skeptical Ryzen would be successful enough to justify doing any kind of Mini-ITX board at all. So I imagine anything adventurous probably won't show up until later this year since they wouldn't have started on it until after the Ryzen launch.

I won't be holding my breath.

Yeah, as cool as that would be that would be a very expensive board to development and it would have an extremely niche target market.

nox

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2017
look what i found :)

FlexATX-KBL-S-C236 New
Embedded FlexATX Desktop Motherboard with 7th Gen Intel® 14NM Quad Core™ i3/i5/i7, XEON® E3 CPUs
Specifications

• Long term available embedded FlexATX desktop class motherboard
  • LVDS 24bit dual channel and display port 1.2
  • SO-DIMM socket DDR4-2133 memory (up to 32 GByte)
  • TPM2.0 and hardware security device to protect applications and licensing
  • mPCIe and M.2 socket

http://www.kontron.com/products/boa...motherboards/flex-atx/flexatx-kbl-s-c236.html

two things missing really - the additional two pcie slots are not physically long - and it looks like there is a heatsink in the way of putting a long card in tem

and i very much doubt the bios supports overclocking...

nox

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2017
begs the question, if an unknown can do it, why can't someone like ASRock :)

i dread to think on the price though...

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
An interesting board, but it's FlexATX not Mini-DTX though.

nox

Average Stuffer
Feb 10, 2017
thats close enough for an owner of an case m1 :)

dtx would be better if i'm honest though

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
thats close enough for an owner of an case m1 :)

I'm not sure for Kaby Lake, but various manufacturers have made FlexATX boards before. But they're usually marketed as microATX so you have to carefully check the dimensions to see if it'll fit.

There's some boards that fit the M1 listed here:

Dyson Poindexter

If there's empty space, it's too big!
Jun 25, 2015
I want full DTX, with 4 X RAM slots !
Unfortunately stretching out the motherboard in that direction breaks compatibility with many cases. I would like to see the low profile right angle SODIMM slots on the back of the motherboard, but I believe they are too tall for the spec. Still, if M.2 slots can be moved to the rear, I believe DIMMs can be done as well.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Not necessarily, the NCASE M1 for example has the PSU in front of the motherboard, so full DTX wouldn't fit.
Indeed.
I's actually somewhat common to base the Case length off the GPU and then fill the void in front of the motherboard with the PSU.

Chrizz

Average Stuffer
Jan 23, 2017