Power Supply Seasonic Focus SGX-650 (SFX-L)

thefiend1

Trash Compacter
Oct 6, 2017
Im curious now that this PSU came out... I know the M1 is extremely tight with SFX-L units when combined with a full size GPU but this one is a tiny bit smaller than typical SFX-L units. Does anyone have experience with right angle connectors on a power supply? I looked up THESE - I feel like they would help keep the wires from pushing/resting on the GPU.

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Jun 7, 2018
Im curious now that this PSU came out... I know the M1 is extremely tight with SFX-L units when combined with a full size GPU but this one is a tiny bit smaller than typical SFX-L units. Does anyone have experience with right angle connectors on a power supply? I looked up THESE - I feel like they would help keep the wires from pushing/resting on the GPU.

I don't think those would help, since if you look at the connectors on the power supply itself, there is a gap in part of the MB one. So you couldn't use just a normal 24 pin adapter on that end to save space. I don't know if the other connectors are more standard or not.

But that's my concern as well. I know SFX work completely fine. I'm not sure if a 125 mm unit (vs 100 mm) would interfere too much with a graphics card.

Beardedswede

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2018
I seen that it would come into stock in some store in the EU this month.
Cables are quite long though but I guess that's normal.

kageiit

Trash Compacter
Oct 5, 2018
I emailed seasonic yesterday and they said

Thank you for contacting Seasonic and for your interest on our new SGX power supply.

Products just arrived in the US so it may takes few days before to be available on Newegg. I may suggest to keep an eye and you will soon have the possibility to order one.

They were talking about stock for Newegg in the us. Really hoping to snag one when back in stock. I got a 9900k and 2080 to for a new build and would like to be on the safe side with 650w and a reputable company

Reactions: Verrachi

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Jun 7, 2018
Internal debate between SGX-650 and SF600P intensifies.....

The SF600 P should be back in stock in 1 week as well.

wovie

Trash Compacter
Aug 18, 2015
I had a SilverStone SX500-LG (125 mm) in the M1 and the cables did indeed press against the GPU slightly. Functionally, it has been fine and I quickly learned not to worry about it.

Regarding this Seasonic unit, I read somewhere that the connectors are actually flush with the PSU, so that gives you a few extra mm of clearance - in which case it would probably be a perfect fit without touching the GPU.

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Jun 7, 2018
I had a SilverStone SX500-LG (125 mm) in the M1 and the cables did indeed press against the GPU slightly. Functionally, it has been fine and I quickly learned not to worry about it.

Regarding this Seasonic unit, I read somewhere that the connectors are actually flush with the PSU, so that gives you a few extra mm of clearance - in which case it would probably be a perfect fit without touching the GPU.

That unit is actually listed as 130mm depth, so this would be give 5 mm extra space already.

And hah, that's usually me pointing out the connectors -- the stick out a tiny bit on all the Silverstones except the SX700-LPT for some reason. That one is flush like the Seasonic/Corsair units. But still not sure how far the actual cables stick in/out though.

The Seasonic sold out of newegg in a few hours, and I can't believe someone on this board didn't get one already from that. SFFPC isn't that large of a group.

kageiit

Trash Compacter
Oct 5, 2018
I posted it on the sffpc subreddit and may have inadvertently caused the quick out of stock status as a result. Sad part is I could not buy mine either as I decided on this model later on. Now have to wait for fresh stock :)

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
I got a 9900k and 2080 to for a new build and would like to be on the safe side with 650w and a reputable company

Nothing wrong with either company. I'd personally wait for an industry review to post before picking up the SeaSonic over the Corsair, but it seems from above that you might've already pre-ordered a 9900K, so apparently that's just me.

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Jun 7, 2018
Nothing wrong with either company. I'd personally wait for an industry review to post before picking up the SeaSonic over the Corsair, but it seems from above that you might've already pre-ordered a 9900K, so apparently that's just me.

While that's generally true, Seasonic has had a VERY long history of being an excellent PSU maker. And I believe they actually make their own, rather than using an OEM for it.

kageiit

Trash Compacter
Oct 5, 2018
I got a 9900k and a 2080 ti. Definitely plan to overclock and have used seasonic before. I think 650 is better to have that extra headroom

thefiend1

Trash Compacter
Oct 6, 2017
Just put in an order for the Seasonic. I'll report back with some pictures of how it fits in the M1 with a 2080 FE card. Hopefully itll be alright :\

Reactions: TeutonJon78

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Jun 7, 2018
I asked over at [H]ardOCP and someone posted a picture of the Lian-Li SFX-L in their case. That one is 130mm and the connectors stick out a little. There should be plenty of room for the Seasonic. But actual pictures will be nice too. :thumb:

Edit: Out of stock already.

Last edited:

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Jun 7, 2018
So I emailed support about the fan controller, since they didn't list it anywhere (which should give a clue as to the answer).

Here's what they said: "the SGX's fan control uses DC voltage to regulate the fan', correlating direct load to the PSU to the fan's RPM.".

So, for me that pushes a little bit towards the SF600P column with the new PWM fan.

kageiit

Trash Compacter
Oct 5, 2018
Seasonic's prime ultra titanium PSUs also use the same fans with what they call "Premium Hybrid Fan Control" which allows a very silent running fan in my experience.

Also, the fans are Fluid Dynamic Bearing on the seasonic vs Rifle Bearing (A rifle bearing is similar to a sleeve bearing but lasts longer) on the Corsair (https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/779-computer-case-fan-bearing-differences). Fluid Bearings, as the name suggests, tend to be the lowest noise level as a result of the fluid cycling technology used.

Sleeve: Operating RPM (Controlled) 1200RPM, Noise Level (Variable) ~22dBA, Operating Temperature (Controlled) 50C

Fluid/Hydro: Operating RPM (Controlled) 1200RPM, Noise Level (Variable) ~18.7dBA, Operating Temperature (Controlled) 50C

I will test it out once I get my hands on the unit anyways and report back :)

Last edited:
Reactions: NinoPecorino

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Jun 7, 2018
"Premium Hybrid Fan Control" is just a fancy marketing name they give to their fan curve -- also with S3FC. It just means it has the multiple modes of running -- fanless, silent, and cooling modes.

The fans on the platinum are different than the fans on the golds, and I don't think anyone has looked at the specs of the new one yet.

It's interesting on the Seasonic stats section they don't list the acoustics info yet -- it's just TBA. Corsair also hasn't posted the actual specs for the Platinum either, even though it's already shipping.

kageiit

Trash Compacter
Oct 5, 2018
The corsair website seems to state the platinum fans are indeed Rifle bearing

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Jun 7, 2018
I did just go back and see that. And yes, rifle bearings do seem to be worse than fluid. I guess it will come down to the acoustic data for both (which hopefully they release). In the manual for the SF600 G, they provide a fan noise curve, which they don't have yet for the Plat. Also, they don't list the bearing type for the Gold (which makes me think it's a normal sleeve bearing).

Last edited: