Power Supply Seasonic Focus SGX-650 (SFX-L)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
When I read this article, I was stunned....What?! Seasonic coming to SFX-L market?!!

https://www.tomshardware.fr/articles/alimentation-passive-ventilateur-gold-titanium,1-67748.html

So it's SFX-L format, 650W gold, Semi passive 120mm fan cooling...very good.

For now, it's a "Focus" brand, not a prime. My dream will be a Prime Titanium SFX-L from Seasonic..:D

Baal

Efficiency Noob
Jun 8, 2018
I feel a bit sad that they don't include an switch to toggle off the semi passive mode.

Jonnyguru needs to test this and the new SF600 ASAP!

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
This is what I want to find out. I'm seriously hoping for a SFX power supply that can support 2x EPS 12v natively without adapters.

I agree, I was toying with the idea of doing a X299 Micro ATX build in the new MachOne and the board I want requires 2x EPS. So I really need a SFX that will support it.

Convel

Case Bender
Oct 8, 2018
Newegg now has this power supply in stock. EAN: 4711173874522. The estimate for European retailers seems to be around the end of the month.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151224
http://www.hardwarewebwinkel.nl/com...focus-sfx-gold-650-power-supply-650-watt.html
https://nl.hardware.info/product/486571/seasonic-focus-sfx-gold-650
https://us.hardware.info/product/486571/seasonic-focus-sfx-gold-650
https://uk.hardware.info/product/486571/seasonic-focus-sfx-gold-650

The price seems very reasonable, though there's only one EPS 12V cable, but 4x 6+2 PCI-E. Eagerly looking forward to reviews, because my build will most likely peak beyond 650W!

https://seasonic.com/focus-sgx

Reactions: rfarmer and dorall

dorall

Trash Compacter
Oct 2, 2018
I'm planning to get new power supply for my future Dan project. Just kind of interesting whether its better than the upcoming Platinum Corsair versions. Those Corsair ones were delayed a lot, im in UK and most sites indicate 23rd of October as a release date. Dunno which one to get hmm

Convel

Case Bender
Oct 8, 2018
The Corsair SF600 v2 looks like a quality unit, but I think the Seasonic has enough going for it on paper to be the better choice. Higher wattage, larger fan (92 mm vs 120 mm), longer warranty (7 years vs 10 years), and twice as many 8-pin connectors. I wish Corsair would make SFX-L units in addition to the SF600. Curiously, EVGA also ditched SFX-L even though they had a very promising Super Flower platform on hand, instead releasing the SuperNOVA GM in the more crowded SFX market.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
It is slightly shorter than other SFX-L, only 125mm. typically they are 130mm. Makes sense -- one direction is 125mm proving the 120mm fan fits in there so why make the other direction so much bigger.

Only one EPS is major disappointment.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
The Corsair SF600 v2 looks like a quality unit, but I think the Seasonic has enough going for it on paper to be the better choice. Higher wattage, larger fan (92 mm vs 120 mm), longer warranty (7 years vs 10 years), and twice as many 8-pin connectors. I wish Corsair would make SFX-L units in addition to the SF600. Curiously, EVGA also ditched SFX-L even though they had a very promising Super Flower platform on hand, instead releasing the SuperNOVA GM in the more crowded SFX market.
Personnally I found SFX-L superior to SFX simply because of the fan noise. My SF600 was too noisy in warm area with consequent load (400w+) whereas my sx800 lti cannot be heard versus others fans in my case.

It is slightly shorter than other SFX-L, only 125mm. typically they are 130mm. Makes sense -- one direction is 125mm proving the 120mm fan fits in there so why make the other direction so much bigger.

Only one EPS is major disappointment.
One EPS is not an issue. You can either convert one pcie plug to eps or split existing EPS connector. As this psu is using one common 12v rail, it's perfectly fine.

Reactions: Convel and fabio

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Jun 7, 2018
Hmmmm...this or the Corsair SF600 Gold/Plat?

I definitely like Seasonic. And I have an M1, so I theoretically have the room for SFX-L ... just not how sure how much it impacts onto the video card space, since I'm definitely getting a fuller sized card when I start the build. 120mm fan would definitely be better than the 92mm.

And well, versus the SF600 Plat, it's actually available.

Edit: Interesting, comparing the specs, the SF600G puts out 20W more on the +3.3/+5/-5 V rails than the Seasonic one (100 vs 120). Those just power HDs and fans and such, right? 100W seems like plenty for that in any ITX case, though, but still interesting.

The 12v rail is 54A/648W vs 50A/600W though.

Also interesting is that they ship 2 6+2 PCIe cables, with 2 connectors each. So it's technically giving you 4 of those connectors.

Edit 2: already sold out at Newegg for the 650.

Last edited:

dorall

Trash Compacter
Oct 2, 2018
Seasonic model looks truly interesting. Well, one can't go wrong with Corsair SF series, though I have gold one from Corsair and its probably not worth getting plat one as they're nearly the same. I guess either stick with Corsair gold and save some money or either get Seasonic once it comes out. :/

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
One EPS is not an issue. You can either convert one pcie plug to eps or split existing EPS connector. As this psu is using one common 12v rail, it's perfectly fine.

Splitting an EPS connector sounds an awesome way to set your PC on fire. The PCIe connectors do not have enough 12V wires either. So far I only looked at creating custom cables for the Silverstone PSU pinout and concluded the safe way would require either losing all four Molexes since there is only one 12V in each or would require losing a PCIe pair and one Molex. A safe, generic converter would require a PCIe female and a Molex or SATA female but I have never seen a PCIe to EPS converter being so careful.

Reactions: el01

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Hmmmm...this or the Corsair SF600 Gold/Plat?

I definitely like Seasonic. And I have an M1, so I theoretically have the room for SFX-L ... just not how sure how much it impacts onto the video card space, since I'm definitely getting a fuller sized card when I start the build. 120mm fan would definitely be better than the 92mm.

And well, versus the SF600 Plat, it's actually available.

Edit: Interesting, comparing the specs, the SF600G puts out 20W more on the +3.3/+5/-5 V rails than the Seasonic one (100 vs 120). Those just power HDs and fans and such, right? 100W seems like plenty for that in any ITX case, though, but still interesting.

The 12v rail is 54A/648W vs 50A/600W though.

Also interesting is that they ship 2 6+2 PCIe cables, with 2 connectors each. So it's technically giving you 4 of those connectors.

Edit 2: already sold out at Newegg for the 650.
What is your setup in M1?

Seasonic model looks truly interesting. Well, one can't go wrong with Corsair SF series, though I have gold one from Corsair and its probably not worth getting plat one as they're nearly the same. I guess either stick with Corsair gold and save some money or either get Seasonic once it comes out. :/
The drawbacks I can find on SF600 serie is its noise in warm area under load and its "too" rigid cables.

Splitting an EPS connector sounds an awesome way to set your PC on fire. The PCIe connectors do not have enough 12V wires either. So far I only looked at creating custom cables for the Silverstone PSU pinout and concluded the safe way would require either losing all four Molexes since there is only one 12V in each or would require losing a PCIe pair and one Molex. A safe, generic converter would require a PCIe female and a Molex or SATA female but I have never seen a PCIe to EPS converter being so careful.
I would agree with you that you risk fire if you try to power very, very, very power angry cpu. (I mean 300w++). As we speak for SFF mainly (limitied cooling on cpu) with SFX-L, I see no reason to light a fire..;)
I won't power Intel Xeon W-3175 with a single SFX-L...could be possible dual SFX-L SX800LTI as motherboard has dual 24pins..:)

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Jun 7, 2018
What is your setup in M1?

It's only a planned build (minus the purchased case). Ryzen 2700x with probably an RX580 (or 680 is they release soon and eventually Navi+). Fairly standard build once you add in all the extra parts. My only concern is how a longer power supply would interact with a full video card.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
It's only a planned build (minus the purchased case). Ryzen 2700x with probably an RX580 (or 680 is they release soon and eventually Navi+). Fairly standard build once you add in all the extra parts. My only concern is how a longer power supply would interact with a full video card.
In this case, even SF450 is ok for your setup..:)
SFX L is really useful on 450W+ on load..:)

I've a second gaming setup inside a node 202 with GTX1070 and core i7 4770K, powered with a SF450..;) (in fact i even switch my SF600 to SF450 as SF600 was too noisy inside warm inside node 202)..:)