Power Supply Seasonic Focus SGX-650 (SFX-L)

madbrayniak

Caliper Novice
Jun 23, 2018
Hey guys,

I'm a Seasonic fan and I just ordered an NCASE M1 for my wife's computer.

Anymore thoughts on this PSU? I'd like to use this but looks like you guys are having some problems.

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Jun 7, 2018
It really just depends on you're GPU choice. If you going for any full sized card, it will be tight as we've (sadly) seen. But it may also just be the cables and custom cables might resolve it, as people have fit 130 mm SFX-L PSUs with full GPUs.

If you are using integrated graphics or an ITX card, then no real worries. If you want a full GPU and don't want to worry about it, stick with SFX.

madbrayniak

Caliper Novice
Jun 23, 2018
Alright, I may go with the Corsair unit then.

I'm going to be putting my full size GPU in it and then I have an excuse to get something new for myself. Lol

aa12bb

Cable Smoosher
Sep 28, 2018
I built a Geeek A50 with this power supply. I loved the build and quality, it looks fantastic. However, the cables did make it a pain to work with. It is definitely doable just not fun. I probably would take the space savings and better cables with the Corsair Platinum, however, Seasonic 600W for $100 was enough for me to buy.

I haven't done much stress testing but with 3 Noctua A9x14, the rig is SILENT.

dbjungle

Caliper Novice
Apr 17, 2017
I built a Geeek A50 with this power supply. I loved the build and quality, it looks fantastic. However, the cables did make it a pain to work with. It is definitely doable just not fun. I probably would take the space savings and better cables with the Corsair Platinum, however, Seasonic 600W for $100 was enough for me to buy.

I haven't done much stress testing but with 3 Noctua A9x14, the rig is SILENT.

I'm planning to use this power supply with the A50 rather soon actually. I already have the case and the PSU will come by the end of the week. I have the first gen SF450 in my Cougar QBX.

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Jun 7, 2018
So having just finally put a GPU into the M1 I built for someone -- I'm definitely glad I didn't go with the Seasonic. SFX-L in the normal position just wouldn't have left enough room for all the cabling (with stock cables).

Now I'll just have to see my SF600 Platinum cables work out.

Also interesting -- at Newegg the Seasonic has creeped up to $129.99 now from $119.99.

Last edited:

chribzzz

Efficiency Noob
Dec 9, 2017
I'm surprised there still is, no comparison review between the seasonic sgx series and sf series from corsair! I have the extra space all i care about is the noise. I understand that the NJ-450 exists but the short warranty bugs me...

Reactions: Beardedswede

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Jun 7, 2018
The Seasonic should always be quieter -- it has a 120mm fan vs a 92mm fan and it uses a better bearing technology that should be quieter as well.

Reactions: chribzzz

chribzzz

Efficiency Noob
Dec 9, 2017
I get that, but they have the same cybenetics grade for noise (note that the test data is not on the cybenetics site, which is wierd) and the better efficiency of the corsair may even out the extra airflow the seasonic needs under mid to high loads?

I would be most interrested to see a stress test in a 40 degree celsius ambient (or atleast 35), with a 350W load attached. that would be about the max my system would ever need.
With lower loads the specs would suggest that the seasonic should be more quiet.

Last edited:

chribzzz

Efficiency Noob
Dec 9, 2017
https://www.modding.fr/test-alimentation-seasonic-focus-sgx-650/5/
This is the only in depth test (i found) and it seems that the noise at 290W is actualy pretty bad? worse than the bequiet sfx 500, too bad they don't include the sf600 platinum.

https://www.cybenetics.com/code/pdf.php?id=mbF
https://www.cybenetics.com/code/pdf.php?id=cxE
the test results of the bequiet sfx 500 are considerably worse in noise comparing to the sf 600 platinum, the bequiet seem to have almost the same fan (partnumber) as the seasonic.

the 20 db barier is broken @ around:
sf 600 platinum: 325W
sfx 500 bequiet: 180W

odd that they share the same noise rating: LAMBDA-A

https://www.cybenetics.com/d/cybenetics_Ei0.pdf
Even the upcomming sf750 platinum with a LAMBDA-A- rating (worse) outputs 425W @ around 20db...

This is all specs en db measuring, should i look at specs or is the seasonic maybe more quiet irl due to pitch or whatever?

Last edited:

not-vidya

What's an ITX?
New User
Nov 28, 2018
the bequiet seem to have almost the same fan (partnumber) as the seasonic
be quiet! SFX-L-500 has S1201512MB, while Seasonic one has S1201512HB fan.

This same fan is in PSUs like Lian Li PE-750 and SilverStone SX800-LTI. Judging by Cybenetics reports it seems like the fan is fairly quiet up until ~500W (depending on sample), then ramps up to almost 100% rate for that fan (around 2000rpm), which makes it louder than SF600. But keep in mind that those PSUs are rated for much higher wattage (100+ W) than SGX-650, so Seasonic one can be different i.e. quiter.

I wonder if it possible to replace that fan with Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM with 4-to-2 pin adapter and compare noise after that.

xSDMx

Caliper Novice
Nov 21, 2018
I had absolutely no issues fitting the SGX-650 in an NCase M1 with the EVGA 2080 Ti XC Ultra.

The cables are very soft and flexible. Even without the bottom fans, there was no pressure from the cables on my video card. Don't be afraid to bend your cables!

I HIGHLY recommend this PSU over the other options on the market. I've tried the EVGA 650 GM and the SF600 Platinum and both had varying degrees of coil whine issues. The coil whine on my SGX-650 example is almost nonexistent.

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Jun 7, 2018
Hm...interesting. The seasonic is quieter that the SF600 Plat at 300W but a lot more noise at 500W.

It's a similar decibel level delta, but remember it's a logarithmic scale.

sneedster

Trash Compacter
Apr 22, 2022
I have an SGX-650W SFX-L psu in my Dan A4 build. 99% of the time is quiet and works just fine, but that 1% of the time the fans spin up to a loud speed for no discernible reason. No matter if its idle or under load.
Dunno if i got a lemon or if its a typical issue. Rest of the hardware consists of a 3700x and a decently undervolted 1660 ti so even at max stress i should be well under 50% PSU load, so i really cant figure whats going on. Really sucks because apart from this issue my PC is whisper quiet.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
I have an SGX-650W SFX-L psu in my Dan A4 build. 99% of the time is quiet and works just fine, but that 1% of the time the fans spin up to a loud speed for no discernible reason. No matter if its idle or under load.
Dunno if i got a lemon or if its a typical issue. Rest of the hardware consists of a 3700x and a decently undervolted 1660 ti so even at max stress i should be well under 50% PSU load, so i really cant figure whats going on. Really sucks because apart from this issue my PC is whisper quiet.
Did you notice issue from start? Did you identified root cause (workload change? Overheat?) Is PSU fan towards side panel?

As far as I know I haven't read/see some bad report on this SGX650 unit.
Let's deep dive, and in worst case, you can use Seasonic RMA I suppose.

sneedster

Trash Compacter
Apr 22, 2022
Did you notice issue from start? Did you identified root cause (workload change? Overheat?) Is PSU fan towards side panel?

As far as I know I haven't read/see some bad report on this SGX650 unit.
Let's deep dive, and in worst case, you can use Seasonic RMA I suppose.
I bought the setup second hand, for me this issue has persisted since acquiring but i dont know the entire history. i have no idea about the root cause because it seems completely random, i can have just the desktop open yet the psu spins up loud. the fan is towards the side panel, yes.