Completed Salvo Studios S402: ~9L Steel Console Style Case

manicMetro

Cable Smoosher
Jul 19, 2020
fair review i think. too bad he didn't do a build in the case but looking forward to the case overviews!
His talk of hot rodding the cpu cooler is interesting :) I wonder what CPU heat sink has the exact height of 59mm so with hole in the side will just have the fan poking out, so I only need to remove the fan for transporting the case.

Reactions: grsychckn
D

Deleted member 20780

UPS is usually very good at estimating the arrival date at your door. If that is not the case, I'd like to know should anyone else ask.

The package came a few hours earlier actually? Im done building now and it was very easy. The only thing I noticed was the main side panel had a tiny bulge. I turned it around and that fixed it. I took some pictures, but cant find out how I can upload here on mobile. Can only insert a link?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
The package came a few hours earlier actually? Im done building now and it was very easy. The only thing I noticed was the main side panel had a tiny bulge. I turned it around and that fixed it. I took some pictures, but cant find out how I can upload here on mobile. Can only insert a link?
The "bulge" exists on every vented panel. I would describe it more as a slight convex or concave bend depending on which way it is oriented. It is my understanding that punching all those holes causes the steel to warp and so the fabricator introduces a bias to the sheet to ensure a consistent product. Some may be more pronounced than others, but I return them to be reworked if they don't fit right.

As far as uploading images, you should be able to do that. I've done it before by clicking on the "image" icon and then browsing my phone for the file I want to upload. If you aren't getting that as an option, maybe there is a security setting on your browser that is denying the file browser from opening.

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
The "bulge" exists on every vented panel. I would describe it more as a slight convex or concave bend depending on which way it is oriented. It is my understanding that punching all those holes causes the steel to warp and so the fabricator introduces a bias to the sheet to ensure a consistent product. Some may be more pronounced than others, but I return them to be reworked if they don't fit right.

As far as uploading images, you should be able to do that. I've done it before by clicking on the "image" icon and then browsing my phone for the file I want to upload. If you aren't getting that as an option, maybe there is a security setting on your browser that is denying the file browser from opening.
You need to be a contributor to actually upload images, if not you can only link them.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I have two "refurbished" S402 chassis I'm willing to sell for $180 shipped to lower 48 states (+$25 elsewhere). I also have a few goodies to offer with new S402 unit purchases. Among them are:

1. A used set of custom "sliver" Corsair SFX PSU cables in excellent shape. Includes the ATX power, CPU power, 2 x 8-pin power, and 1 x 2 Molex cable.
2. A new IS-60 cooler. Opened once to take measurements.
3. A new Thermolabs LP53 cooler. Never opened.
4. 120AIO for someone willing to build using it and post some pictures.

Contact me via e-mail if anyone here is interested.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Just a quick update: I've finally moved into my new home and it's great but I have no internet access and won't until September 7th (Labor Day) earliest. Cox screwed up my installation appointment and rather than being without for 2 weeks, I'm now out for nearly a month.

In the meantime, I've managed to change the mirrors in my laser cutter as well as the focus lens and it seems to be working great. I have yet to install the exhaust system or the 220V outlet in the new house so I can't quite use it yet for cutting anything but I will be working on the S402 spacer design as well as new custom acrylic side panels as soon as these are finished.

SPOOKY GLUTES

Efficiency Noob
Aug 15, 2019
Just a quick update: I've finally moved into my new home and it's great but I have no internet access and won't until September 7th (Labor Day) earliest. Cox screwed up my installation appointment and rather than being without for 2 weeks, I'm now out for nearly a month.

In the meantime, I've managed to change the mirrors in my laser cutter as well as the focus lens and it seems to be working great. I have yet to install the exhaust system or the 220V outlet in the new house so I can't quite use it yet for cutting anything but I will be working on the S402 spacer design as well as new custom acrylic side panels as soon as these are finished.
Woof... I hated dealing with Cox when I had to use them.

tnuhnivad

Chassis Packer
Sep 17, 2018

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Alright, the laser cutter is working but not 100% setup. The 220V circuit is installed Thursday but I worked last night to create the S402 template for custom acrylic panels. Tonight I'm going to mock up the first pass of the S402 panel spacers. I'm hoping to have some panel spacers available for sale sometime next week. Unfortunately, I won't have any good photographs as I've yet to setup a space for my photography equipment. Regardless, I'll probably point-and-shoot with my phone and post pictures here when I have an update.

I also just purchased a plasma cutting table. I am on the lookout for a used Pemserter insertion machine as well so that I can start fabricating my own cooler adapters and eventually prototypes. Of course, I'll still need a press brake as well, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Jerdz

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2019
Alright, the laser cutter is working but not 100% setup. The 220V circuit is installed Thursday but I worked last night to create the S402 template for custom acrylic panels. Tonight I'm going to mock up the first pass of the S402 panel spacers. I'm hoping to have some panel spacers available for sale sometime next week.

For custom acrylic panels, do you accept different vent designs?

I'm also excited for the spacers! How much width will it give to the case-- is it 15mm similar to S401? Or can that be customized as well?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
For custom acrylic panels, do you accept different vent designs?

I'm also excited for the spacers! How much width will it give to the case-- is it 15mm similar to S401? Or can that be customized as well?
I can make custom designs but it might take a week to get one done.

Each spacers ads about 5mm. They can be stacked but you'll have to find screws long enough to hold the panel in place.

I'd like to get some sample pictures this weekend.

Reactions: Jerdz

Jerdz

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2019
I can make custom designs but it might take a week to get one done.

Each spacers ads about 5mm. They can be stacked but you'll have to find screws long enough to hold the panel in place.

I'd like to get some sample pictures this weekend.
I see-- can we see a picture of 2x spacer too? Thank you so much!

I'm planning to fit a L12 Ghost edition which is at 66mm so that would require 2x spacers-- but I haven't decided yet, I'm not sure if the IS-60 could cool the 10600k at 4.8-5ghz.

How are your temps with the IS-60? Did you replace the fan and remove the IO covers?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I see-- can we see a picture of 2x spacer too? Thank you so much!

I'm planning to fit a L12 Ghost edition which is at 66mm so that would require 2x spacers-- but I haven't decided yet, I'm not sure if the IS-60 could cool the 10600k at 4.8-5ghz.

How are your temps with the IS-60? Did you replace the fan and remove the IO covers?
With the IS-60 on my 3950X, I'm getting an idle temp of around 65-75C. The 3950X temperature loves to jump around a lot and in big swings. Under load I approach 95C and the CPU will throttle down to about 3.5Ghz. This is with the fan replaced with a Noctua 120mm chromax fan.

Part of the problem is my Asus ROG Strix X570 board. It blocks the airflow on 3 of the 4 sides because of the m.2 riser, the memory, and the rear IO cover. The 70mm fans on top do help but they can get loud (as can the Noctua).

One of the designs I'm working on for the acrylic side panels is a "hot rod" version where I have a huge cutout over the motherboard for helping both increase CPU cooler height and allowing better acoustics and airflow. I'll try to get something made up this weekend.

Reactions: Jerdz

Jerdz

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2019

Will someone test fit once the 3000 series strix cards arrive ? The cards, including the 3090, are 318.5mm long.
~20mm longer than previous gen :(

S402 specs says 315mm, I tried to do some fitting with my 298mm strix card, it looks like the case could accommodate another 20mm, but not sure how we're suppose to get it inside.

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017

Will someone test fit once the 3000 series strix cards arrive ? The cards, including the 3090, are 318.5mm long.
~20mm longer than previous gen :(

S402 specs says 315mm, I tried to do some fitting with my 298mm strix card, it looks like the case could accommodate another 20mm, but not sure how we're suppose to get it inside.

There *might* be enough space to cram that 3090 in the S402 but I would suggest the reference design will be more efficient because it both flows air out the rear IO plate and can leverage the side-by-side vents on the S402 when vertical.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Quick update on the S402 side panels. These are my first attempt at the panels and although they fit nice and look great in the image, there are several things I need to address. The main one being that I put duct tape (aluminum-backed, actual HVAC duct tape) behind the acrylic in hopes that it would prevent my jig from smoking like the S401 did. The smoke would build up on the back side and I'd have to hand polish each one before shipping. It kept the wooden jig from smoking, but reflected the beam back ad the acrylic and made a bunch of strange bubbles/cracks on the back side. I am going to address this, but at least I know the jig is correct and the pattern fits.

s402_vented_panel.jpg
s402_solid_panel.jpg

I also have the drawing done for the "hot rod" version of the vented panel with a large hole cut out for the CPU fan to be un-obstructed. I'm not entirely sure I'm going to sell this though as I don't want a person's carelessness to be cause to sue me for a cut finger.

I also cut the spacers but I don't have anything to show for them as I need to buy another AM4 ITX board to measure the new CPU clearance.