Completed Salvo Studios S402: ~9L Steel Console Style Case

chiapet

Efficiency Noob
Oct 10, 2018
Just to confirm, the FE/reference 3090 should fit all right, correct? The numbers look tight: 315mm x 140mm in the case specs vs 313mm x 138mm actual dimensions on NVIDIA's website.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Just to confirm, the FE/reference 3090 should fit all right, correct? The numbers look tight: 315mm x 140mm in the case specs vs 313mm x 138mm actual dimensions on NVIDIA's website.
Yes, it should fit if the dimensions are correct. It will be a very tight fit though, to the point that you may have to remove the motherboard to get the GPU to slot into the PCIe riser, fasten the GPU down, then reinstall the motherboard. I just measured though and there is clearance for it (again, assuming their mesaurements are correct).

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
I don't yet have one of your s402s yet, but if I did, I'd want the back (right) panel to go all the way down even if it has a huge hole cut out for the two fans. :) just my 2¢.

Either way, those panels looks great. :)

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I don't yet have one of your s402s yet, but if I did, I'd want the back (right) panel to go all the way down even if it has a huge hole cut out for the two fans. :) just my 2¢.

Either way, those panels looks great. :)

That was the original design but the mounting screws interfered with AIO/radiator mounts. I can cut the acrylic to cover the entire surface but there is no way to fasten the bottom to the chassis, so it might stick out a bit.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
In the event anyone was looking, I can confirm the S402 fits in the backpack below quite nicely.

Also, the IS-60 90-degree adapters arrived yesterday. They fit great but there may be a problem with the length of the stock screws requiring me to source and include some with each adapter set I sell. Ran Prime95 on my 3950X (small FFTs, 32 threads), max temp 88C. I run the 3950X in Eco-Mode so the clock throttled down to 3.20Ghz after about 10 minutes. Without the adapter on, it throttled down to 3.07Ghz.

IMG_20200910_221828_resize_70.jpg

Edit #2: I forgot to mention that I have a LinkUp Extreme PCIe riser cable that I'm going to modify this weekend to use in the S402. They are expensive (~$78US), but if I can get it mounted right with minimum problems, I might be able to offer them for my customers at cost + shipping. If you're interested, sign up for the newsletter and keep your eyes on this thread. I hope to test the solution out this weekend on my X570 and 5700XT.

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Frustrating day today as I was about to cut the sample side panels when my chiller stopped working. Took a break and came back to discover a fuse had blown. At least it was an easy fix. I managed to cut another set of sample panels last night but I haven't had the time to clean them up to photograph them.

I also feel really good about the IS-60 90-degree adapters, and will be listing them soon. I am likely to include a new set of screws though because the stock screws are barely long enough to grab the standoffs on the brackets. Torquing them all the way down shouldn't result in any damage but I will still choose to label the product as for display purposes only. I'm also looking to create an inexpensive backplate for the AM4 platform that will provide some support for the mainboard as without the backplate I've seen the boards flex and bend permanently.

I was hoping to get the newsletter out this past weekend but that didn't happen. It will have to be delayed somewhat while I wait for a few items to arrive that I ordered (like the longer screws for the IS-60 adapters).

On the PCIe Gen 4.0 front, there isn't much good news right now. The LinkUp Ultra 4.0 products will work without modification to the riser but because they don't offer a "left" oriented cable, there is no way to support Gen 4.0 and a 3-slot card in the S402 right now. The "right" angle version will work in the S402 but is limited to the middle or top PCIe riser mounts meaning a maximum 2-slot GPU can be used with this cable. The "extreme" version of the LinkUp PCIe cable will NOT work with Gen 4.0 devices and I find that very misleading from LinkUp. I've purchased a few and none of them work with my X570/5700XT in Gen 4.0 mode. There are apparently many users reporting the same. On the positive side, LinkUp is supposedly releasing a new Gen 4.0 cable by the end of this month that will have a "left" option available and thus will allow for a 3-slot GPU to be installed. When/if they release the product, I'll be sure to buy one and try it in the S402.

The fabricator asked me recently for an updated address so they can ship me all the S402 parts that were damaged in shipping. Once I get these in my hands I'll list the S402 as available on my site again for purchasing. This is a significant number of units compared to my overall order so there will be enough to go around.

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Today I'm going to create the S402 spacer product and list it for sale. I will need to order some black acrylic panels and want to be sure I get enough without having to make several orders so I want to get an idea of how many orders I'll be fulfilling.

I just finished testing the spacers and the Noctua NH-L9x65 fits with a few millimeters to spare. Using the same test I had with the IS-60, the L9x65 running Pime95 on my 3950X hit 88C but maintained a frequency of 3.4Ghz which is almost 200Mhz higher than with the IS-60 (it's a larger cooler though). This means I'm comfortable saying that with the spacers installed, there is ~65mm clearance for CPU coolers.

Reactions: Jerdz

Jerdz

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2019
Today I'm going to create the S402 spacer product and list it for sale. I will need to order some black acrylic panels and want to be sure I get enough without having to make several orders so I want to get an idea of how many orders I'll be fulfilling.

I just finished testing the spacers and the Noctua NH-L9x65 fits with a few millimeters to spare. Using the same test I had with the IS-60, the L9x65 running Pime95 on my 3950X hit 88C but maintained a frequency of 3.4Ghz which is almost 200Mhz higher than with the IS-60 (it's a larger cooler though). This means I'm comfortable saying that with the spacers installed, there is ~65mm clearance for CPU coolers.

So each spacer adds about 7mm is that correct? And we could attach 2 spacers provided that the screws are long enough to reach the mounts?

Do you have a 70mm (Noctua L12s) cooler there? Can you try fitting one with a single spacer?

Last edited:

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
That would mean that the upcoming is-60 evo would work (essentially a isk47+ slim 120mm on top) since it is sub 65mm.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
So each spacer adds about 7mm is that correct? And we could attach 2 spacers provided that the screws are long enough to reach the mounts?

Do you have a 70mm (Noctua L12s) cooler there? Can you try fitting one with a single spacer?

The spacers add on average 5.5mm-6mm to the height. There can be a lot of variance between acrylic sheets. Yes, they can be doubled up assuming you have screws long enough to get through to the chassis.

I don't have an L12s, but if it is 70mm it's not going to fit with just one set of spacers. I should fit with 2 stacked sets. Images below.

Spacers_2.jpg
Spacers_1.jpg

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017

ryogawa

What's an ITX?
New User
Oct 2, 2020
Hey guys, just finished my S402 build recently. For those who use close-to-2-slot GPUs, what do you guys do with the extra space? I need some advice on optimal fan configuration.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Hey guys, just finished my S402 build recently. For those who use close-to-2-slot GPUs, what do you guys do with the extra space? I need some advice on optimal fan configuration.

I keep my current GPU as close to the main chassis as possible (mount it as if the PCIe adapter is setup for a 3-slot card) because I like giving the fans a little room to breathe inside the case for noise. If the fans are too close to the vented panel, they will make a lot more noise (in my experience anyway).

ph9214

What's an ITX?
New User
Oct 4, 2020
Has anyone tried a watter cooled build in this case? I saw a picture on the store page of a radiator below a single slot card, and I'm interested in the idea.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Has anyone tried a watter cooled build in this case? I saw a picture on the store page of a radiator below a single slot card, and I'm interested in the idea.
Sorry for not replying sooner but I forgot to ask permission to use the image and then got an updated one today which reminded me to post here. Take a look at the build below for an example of what is possible in the S402. I'm currently working with the same customer to cram a 2-slot EVGA XC 3080 in there to replace the current 1-slot GPU. This customer has decided to go air cooled on the 3080 so he's going to use the exhaust from the radiator to blow on the GPU in hopes it keeps thermals down. The CPU is a 3950x which was running on the hot side while sharing the slim 240mm radiator with the GPU (I believe a 2080ti FE).

IMG_2330.jpg
62318741488__D38B9FFF-AB6C-42EF-9FF5-74610D46270F.JPG

Edit: I uploaded the wrong image, but this one is another example of a water cooled build in the S402.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
Hey, this is my build. Though I'd share some photos and parts for the build. Pictures of the back().

This was done using a Silverstone TD03 Slim. The orientation of the tubes dictated the layout but the performance has been great. As you'll see, the fans have been mounted on the exterior of the case as exhaust and have been doing a great job. I had to cut a small bit out of the back of the case to run the fan wires through, but it only required a pair of side cutters and is very small. The fans and rad mount right to the chassis and you can just fit a 2 slot card on top. An unexpected benefit of this arrangement is that the fans take a decent amount of the hot air from the card and exhaust it straight out the back. I've seen a roughly 5-10c drop in operating temps under different workloads. there is also a bit of play with the position of the rad that should be able to accommodate a 2 fan or FE 3000 series card.

I also highly recommend the gpu up orientation to let the natural heat rise carry the air directly out of the case for this, you don't want that coming back into the chassis.

I'm considering doing a setup similar to the other picture posted with an Eisbaer Solo LT, XSPC TX240 Radiator and some low profile fittings over a deshrouded 2 slot card, but the TD03 slim is a great out of the box solution. You'll need a 20mm ish rad (TDO3 is 22mm) and slim fans for either config to work.

Happy to answer any other questions.

Reactions: grsychckn