Completed Salvo Studios S402: ~9L Steel Console Style Case

D

Deleted member 20780

Welcome to the SFF forum!

Your build looks good but I think there might be a problem: The Black Ridge cooler will most likely require low profile RAM to fit inside any of the X570 ITX boards. I only have the Asus X570 ITX board and even with low profile memory I couldn't get it to fit. Albeit, the Asus board has the m.2 stack near the PCIe slot that really gets in the way (of coolers and airflow). You might want to double-check on the compatibility of the mainboard/cooler/RAM you have. Other than that, everything seems good to me. Good luck with your build and post back here when you're done.

Ask me any questions you might have - I'd be happy to answer them if I can.

Thank you?

Yeah, you seem to be correct. It wont fit the MB or the RAM. Is the C7 cu that much better than the L9i? If it isnt, im just gonna use the Noctua and call it a day. Will come back with pictures and impressions when build is done?

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Thank you?

Yeah, you seem to be correct. It wont fit the MB or the RAM. Is the C7 cu that much better than the L9i? If it isnt, im just gonna use the Noctua and call it a day. Will come back with pictures and impressions when build is done?

I haven't used the L9i even though I have one. I would say that the C7 Cu price doesn't justify any difference there may be though. I would suggest sticking with the L9i for now and if that doesn't work for you there are other options like the ID Cooling IS-50 that *should* support better memory clearances than the IS-60 or Black Ridge.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Spotted in my Google News feed!

Personally, I don't think comparing it to the node 202 is fair, but that's just me.

I agree. Also not a big fan of the way they ended the article. It sounds like they are recommending to avoid the case because of its cost. I don't think that was the intent, but because I didn't get a chance to read it before they posted it I don't feel right asking them to change that line. There are just better ways to word it that won't sound like a recommendation to look elsewhere.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I agree. Also not a big fan of the way they ended the article. It sounds like they are recommending to avoid the case because of its cost. I don't think that was the intent, but because I didn't get a chance to read it before they posted it I don't feel right asking them to change that line. There are just better ways to word it that won't sound like a recommendation to look elsewhere.

My feelings exactly. I hope it doesn't result in any negative exposure, as the Node is a completely different class of case in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 20780

My feelings exactly. I hope it doesn't result in any negative exposure, as the Node is a completely different class of case in my opinion.

Thats exactly why I bought the S402 instead. The node 202 is nowhere near when it comes to compatibility and quality. The GPU is IMO facing the wrong way too. And if you want AIOs you need to cut the separating wall between MB and GPU for the tubing.

D

Deleted member 20780

I haven't used the L9i even though I have one. I would say that the C7 Cu price doesn't justify any difference there may be though. I would suggest sticking with the L9i for now and if that doesn't work for you there are other options like the ID Cooling IS-50 that *should* support better memory clearances than the IS-60 or Black Ridge.

Im gonna try out the L9i and see how it fares on the 3700X. Its been cooling an overclocked Ryzen 2200G in the In Win Chopin for the past year with excellent results.

jpiemaz

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 12, 2020
First ever SFF build complete! Looks awesome and even fits my absolutely enormous GPU (Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64). Cable management was a bit of a pain, but not as bad as I was expecting (I think I could do way better if I put in some more time too). Includes a Ryzen 3700x with an ID IS-60 and a Noctua 120x15 fan.

Thanks for the sweet case, @grsychckn! The only feedback I would provide is that the included front panel connector cables are not labeled at all and that was very confusing for me, I basically just guessed where they went, would recommend labeling that somewhere on the quick start guide perhaps.

Here's a shot of the internals currently:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
The only feedback I would provide is that the included front panel connector cables are not labeled at all and that was very confusing for me, I basically just guessed where they went, would recommend labeling that somewhere on the quick start guide perhaps.

Thanks, this is definitely not the first time I've received this feedback. I'll work on updating the quick guide this week with a note or new page just for the wiring. I've tested the front panel button and what I've discovered is that the LED wires are not +/- specific. You can plug them in either direction and the LED will illuminate. I thought that was really cool. I tested it on my prototype at home and it worked regardless of the polarity. If anyone has a different experience, let me know because I think I only need to identify the LED connector vs. the power/reset switch connectors.

D

Deleted member 20780

Thanks, this is definitely not the first time I've received this feedback. I'll work on updating the quick guide this week with a note or new page just for the wiring. I've tested the front panel button and what I've discovered is that the LED wires are not +/- specific. You can plug them in either direction and the LED will illuminate. I thought that was really cool. I tested it on my prototype at home and it worked regardless of the polarity. If anyone has a different experience, let me know because I think I only need to identify the LED connector vs. the power/reset switch connectors.
Will report back about this too when I get it? My buddy has a 3D printer. Im gonna send him J-Hacks L9i 120mm fan adapter. Im not better temps, it will probably be less noisy. My 3 week vacation starts the same day the package is estimated to arrive, so thats nice. Will be rebuilding my HTPC, take the parts from the gamingPC over to the S402, and my buddys PC parts over to my old Node 304 case. Btw, Brian. The ETA, is that for the package to arrive in the country, or all the way to my home you think??

Last edited by a moderator:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Will report back about this too when I get it? My buddy has a 3D printer. Im gonna send him J-Hacks L9i 120mm fan adapter. Im not better temps, it will probably be less noisy. My 3 week vacation starts the same day the package is estimated to arrive, so thats nice. Will be rebuilding my HTPC, take the parts from the gamingPC over to the S402, and my buddys PC parts over to my old Node 304 case. Btw, Brian. The ETA, is that for the package to arrive in the country, or all the way to my home you think??
UPS is usually very good at estimating the arrival date at your door. If that is not the case, I'd like to know should anyone else ask.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Spotted in my Google News feed!

Personally, I don't think comparing it to the node 202 is fair, but that's just me.

Yeah, definitely not a fair comparison. However, the silver lining is that once someone gets hooked on SFF builds, they'll see the light and come along with us on this journey! If it weren't for the RVZ02, I wouldn't have found the S40X series so compelling.

Im gonna try out the L9i and see how it fares on the 3700X. Its been cooling an overclocked Ryzen 2200G in the In Win Chopin for the past year with excellent results.

At present, I have an original C7 with a Thermalright fan (fan and custom bracket from J-Hack) on a 3700X. Things seem to be going fine at stock. I have also been using two small exhaust fans to help pull heat out the top. The biggest load I put on the CPU is probably when I'm rendering videos on Davinci Resolve and the temps are never that bad. CPU load is also never fully pegged, though. I'm not sure if that's a quirk of the workload or evidence of Ryzen's adaptive temp throttling.

As much as the IS-60 would be an upgrade for me, I know for sure my RAM is too high for it. I'm also not sure which way the fins would be oriented. If they point the wrong way, those exhaust fans lose effectiveness. If people know of the mounting possibilities on AM4 (MSI B450i, in particular), please send it my way.

First ever SFF build complete! Looks awesome and even fits my absolutely enormous GPU (Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64). Cable management was a bit of a pain, but not as bad as I was expecting (I think I could do way better if I put in some more time too). Includes a Ryzen 3700x with an ID IS-60 and a Noctua 120x15 fan.

Thanks for the sweet case, @grsychckn! The only feedback I would provide is that the included front panel connector cables are not labeled at all and that was very confusing for me, I basically just guessed where they went, would recommend labeling that somewhere on the quick start guide perhaps.

Here's a shot of the internals currently:

Interesting. So my stressing out about which lead was + and - was inconsequential. Of course, I didn't test it. I think I did need to swap the power switch and LED leads the first time though (pushed power, no effect, check PSU, all good, must have been button leads). Thankfully, because I didn't need to fiddle with it on the motherboard itself since I already had extension wires because the S401 button leads couldn't reach the I/O header when I first upgraded the motherboard.

Nice, clean build @jpiemaz. What motherboard and RAM do you have? [yeah, I'm shamlessly trying to glean information from my previous question about the IS-60 above]

Reactions: Windfall

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
As much as the IS-60 would be an upgrade for me, I know for sure my RAM is too high for it. I'm also not sure which way the fins would be oriented. If they point the wrong way, those exhaust fans lose effectiveness. If people know of the mounting possibilities on AM4 (MSI B450i, in particular), please send it my way.

Nice, clean build @jpiemaz. What motherboard and RAM do you have? [yeah, I'm shamlessly trying to glean information from my previous question about the IS-60 above]
Here is a picture of the IS-60 mounted to an Asrock B450 Fatality, as you can see the fins are vertical. I had the cooler mounted to a MSI B450i initially and fits identical to the Asrock.

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

jpiemaz

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 12, 2020
@annasoh323 I'm using the B550I AORUS PRO AX with Crucial Ballistix Sport LT ram, although I'm positive that any low profile ram would work (such as Corsair LPX). It's a bit of a tight fit, but I'm actually even able to unseat the ram and remove it completely with the ID IS-60 still in place so it works fine.

D

Deleted member 20780

I checked availability for ID-cooling, and theres only one fan for sale here. We never get the cool stuff? Mostly just things from big manufacturers. The first true SFF from kickstarter Ive seen for sale here is the Ghost S1. Lots of stores have it. You guys are lucky to get so much stuff in the US?

Last edited by a moderator:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I checked availability for ID-cooling, and theres only one fan for sale in Norway. We never get the cool stuff here?Mostly just things from big manufacturers. The first true SFF from kickstarter Ive seen for sale here is the Ghost S1. Lots of stores have it. You guys are lucky to get so much stuff in the US?
I have the IS-60 available on my website. I can ship it with cases as well.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
For the upright position is a blower or regular design graphics card better for the s402?
I think most responses will be anecdotal. I believe there is validity to both configurations. I've used both axial and blower GPUs in my cases and to be honest, I didn't notice a difference in performance. I will say though that the blower-style GPUs I've used (Radeon Vega 64LE & Frontier Edition) both could make the chassis very warm (almost hot) to the touch. Therefore, my personal conclusion is that the blower-style GPUs cannot achieve the best performance. I'm open to being wrong on this though.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
I think most responses will be anecdotal. I believe there is validity to both configurations. I've used both axial and blower GPUs in my cases and to be honest, I didn't notice a difference in performance. I will say though that the blower-style GPUs I've used (Radeon Vega 64LE & Frontier Edition) both could make the chassis very warm (almost hot) to the touch. Therefore, my personal conclusion is that the blower-style GPUs cannot achieve the best performance. I'm open to being wrong on this though.

I've also utilized both and found that in general dual (or triple) axial fan coolers will provide better GPU temperatures at a lower noise level than their blower counterparts. This is simply due to the fact that axial fans not only move more air at a lower RPM than their radial counterparts, most axial coolers have more fans.

The primary downside to axial coolers is that they typically vent all of that hot air out the sides, and there-by unleash the inferno into the chassis as opposed to sending the hot air only out the rear. In a lot of chassis, particularly small ones, this has the effect of either recirculating the hot air into the fans and/or other components. However, with the 402's top and bottom chassis fans, the hot air shouldn't get trapped in the case, and those included fans at low RPM will likely be significantly quieter than a blower alternative.

Either way though, your ultimate friend is going to be under volting the GPU. Thermal power scales linearly with clock speed, but quadratically with voltage. If you can drop your operating voltage by a few 10s of millivolts, you'll likely drop your GPU temp by 5-10 degrees and then can adjust your fan curve appropriately to suit your noise comfort.

Reactions: annasoh323