Completed Salvo Studios S402: ~9L Steel Console Style Case

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Thanks so much for your reply. No need to worry about bags, you've got enough on your plate. =)

As a starting point, I might suggest to others to look at Gator cases. Their mixer cases in particular are pretty interesting - the 12x12 or 15x15 models could likely work with the S402.
Thanks - I have a few bags at home I should be able to try this weekend. The problem is that the internal dimensions are not always accurate though when purchasing a backpack online. The dimensions of the S402 on my site (14.5" x 12.875" x 3") are accurate outer dimensions of the S402 without the stands, handle, or PCIe device installed. With a PCIe device installed the dimensions would be roughly 14.5" x 13.375" x 3" (due to the tab sticking out the back of the case).

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Wendell is going to make a video on the S402. Matthew at adoredtv received his review sample this week.

Also, we received an initial closing date on our house. Looks like mid August I'll be able to finally hook up the laser cutter again to produce side panels and spacers.

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
So I've been looking over some of the feedback I've been getting from reviewers and/or customers and I've noticed that a lot of the "nitpicky" items have been regarding the included fans. I'm curious if any other customers have had a negative experience with the fans and if so I ask them to contact me via e-mail.

I might attempt to reach out to Noctua and see if they would be willing to allow me to be a vendor for them just so I could sell the A6x25 fans as those seem to be the most popular fans. I also just purchased more replacement 70x70x15 fans as I suspect I might have to ship some out as replacements.

I also purchased 70x70x20 and 70x70x25 PWM fans that I'm hoping could offer an alternative to the A6x25 fans based on price. I don't believe there is much out there in the 60-70mm range that can compete with the A6x25 in terms of performance/noise. In terms of price/performance there are many options but it seems there are also many poorly made options as well.

I'm considering the follow-up to the S402 will be the S500 and I'll be going wider still as I would like to support 80mm fans just for more options and even better airflow. However, I am going to look into trimming some fat off the volume if I go wider as increasing the smallest dimension has the largest impact on volume. Regardless, this wouldn't happen until most likely mid-2021. Just a heads-up on where I'm thinking of going.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I also will be offering ID-Cooling IS-60 coolers for near Amazon's price. I expect to receive those in the coming weeks. As soon as I do I will be posting here with links.

Reactions: annasoh323

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
I'm curious if any other customers have had a negative experience with the fans and if so I ask them to contact me via e-mail.

I've never had any issues with the A6x25 pwm, particularly at around 1500-1800 RPM where I usually cap them. Were the complaints regarding noise or cooling efficacy?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I've never had any issues with the A6x25 pwm, particularly at around 1500-1800 RPM where I usually cap them. Were the complaints regarding noise or cooling efficacy?
Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I'm getting reports that the 70mm fans I include with the S402 have some weird behaviors. Like not responding to PWM signals, vibrating when oriented as intake, etc. So if you have one of the 70x70x15 fans installed in the S402 and have problems I'd like to know.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I'm getting reports that the 70mm fans I include with the S402 have some weird behaviors. Like not responding to PWM signals, vibrating when oriented as intake, etc. So if you have one of the 70x70x15 fans installed in the S402 and have problems I'd like to know.

Gotcha, I've been a holdout for the S700 and just happen to have a couple A6's in a different rack mounted rig.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I had 4 fans left after I packed them all up inside the S402 units ready to ship. I had to break one to take a look inside and see how it was wired because it wasn't responding to the fan curve. Looks like I have a problem with the "PWM" fans I purchased.

oh_man.jpg

I have to figure out what I'm going to do now as I've already sold many units and don't have any "good" 70mm PWM fans on hand to offer as replacements. Not to mention the shipping expenses this could entail. I'm going to think on this tonight and see if I can figure out what I'm going to do.

• Sad
Reactions: riba2233

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I've come to an initial decision on the fans. I spent over $1k on new fans as optional upgrades and replacements for the ones already (and soon to be) shipped out. I bulk purchased new, higer-quality 70x70x20 PWM fans. I'm not saying these are Noctua quality, but I will ensure they are PWM-controlled so at least the noise will be adjustable.

My plan is two-fold for S402 chassis purchased with the original non-PWM 70mm fans:
1. Replacement units - If the original fans from your S402 die within the 30-day warranty period, I will replace them with the newer 70x70x20 units (full set).
2. Coupon code - I will offer a coupon code to be used as a discount on any of the fans available on my site (70x70x15PWM, 70x70x20PWM, 70x70x25PWM, 60x60x15PWM, 60x60x15).

I have to wait until I receive the new fan models before I can offer a coupon code as I want to validate the new fans before I offer them for sale - especially after considering the position I'm in now.

Reactions: annasoh323

jpiemaz

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 12, 2020
Apologies if this has already been answered, but what would you say is the optimal airflow for this case in horizontal positioning? I'm planning on installing the three fans on the sides, should they be intake or exhaust? My CPU is going to be cooled by the ID IS-60 with a 120x15 fan.

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Apologies if this has already been answered, but what would you say is the optimal airflow for this case in horizontal positioning? I'm planning on installing the three fans on the sides, should they be intake or exhaust? My CPU is going to be cooled by the ID IS-60 with a 120x15 fan.

No apologies necessary. In the horizontal position, I would make all 3 fans exhaust. The only exception I might make depends on the environment you're placing the S402. I assume it is a flat-top surface with lots of breathing room. If there are obstacles to the airflow on side or the other I might consider doing something different, but I think making them all exhaust is the best option. You can quickly expel the hot air out of and away from the components inside.

Reactions: jpiemaz

manicMetro

Cable Smoosher
Jul 19, 2020
HI grsychckn, im wanting to buy a upright case like the s402. Just wonder what are you using to cool the 3950x in your prototype case. and what number and size of fans do you recommend for the case and which directions do you recomend? One more thing do you recommend blower or open air graphics card for the upright position. Thanks keep rocking!

manicMetro

Cable Smoosher
Jul 19, 2020
sorry new here so don't think i can edit my post. Just read your past post saying your heatsink/fan is the IS-60 + Silverstone F141 is this the biggest/best for the case?

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
sorry new here so don't think i can edit my post. Just read your past post saying your heatsink/fan is the IS-60 + Silverstone F141 is this the biggest/best for the case?
Is-60 or a 120mm aio are your best options for the stock look. If you want you can get longer screws then add washers to make the panel stick out further from the chassis,this allowing you to fit a taller cooler. You could add as many washers as you want to make any cooler fit(as long as you have screws long enough).

For the s401 Grsychkn made custom laser cut acrylic spacers, and it sounds like those may be produced again. However, , they will not available until he has time to get settled in the new house.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
HI grsychckn, im wanting to buy a upright case like the s402. Just wonder what are you using to cool the 3950x in your prototype case. and what number and size of fans do you recommend for the case and which directions do you recomend? One more thing do you recommend blower or open air graphics card for the upright position. Thanks keep rocking!

Just read your past post saying your heatsink/fan is the IS-60 + Silverstone F141 is this the biggest/best for the case?

I just swapped out the F141 with a Noctua Chromax A12x15 on my IS-60. I haven't had time to compare the performance, but the noise is better at idle.

Assuming no AIO, I'm not sure I can say what the biggest/best fan is for the case. I can say that the IS-60 is probably one of the better all-around coolers because it is compatible with the case, the Asus X570 Strix ITX, and the fan can easily be swapped out. In my experience, the performance is on par with the AXP-100 copper. Other coolers like the Reveen Steropes are good too, but a little harder to find and at the end of the day very similar in performance.

Remember that I also am running my 3950X in Eco mode and would recommend it - especially if your thermals are making your case loud and hot.

I purchased some IS-60 coolers so I'll also be offering those for purchase on my site starting today. I've got a lot of catching up to do since I was out of town for 5 days.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Also, I plan on offering the custom panel spacers which should allow for larger coolers like the L9x65 to be used. I am supposed to be moving mid-August and then I'll need a few weeks to get the laser cutter installed and running before I can make/sell these, but I'll announce it here and via the newsletter.

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity
D

Deleted member 20780

Hi all! New poster here. Decided to make an account after ordering the S402Got an email with tracking not long ago.

Im gonna build it with Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi, 3700X, 16GB G.skill TridentZ 3600 cl17, EVGA GTX 1070 Superclocked, Corsair SF600 and dual nVME M.2 for storage. The CPU cooler will in the beginning be the L9a with AM4 bracket from my HTPC, but im considering the Alpenföhn Black Ridge.

Looking forward to getting my hands on it. Hope it doesnt take too long all the way to Norway?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Hi all! New poster here. Decided to make an account after ordering the S402Got an email with tracking not long ago.

Im gonna build it with Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi, 3700X, 16GB G.skill TridentZ 3600 cl17, EVGA GTX 1070 Superclocked, Corsair SF600 and dual nVME M.2 for storage. The CPU cooler will in the beginning be the L9a with AM4 bracket from my HTPC, but im considering the Alpenföhn Black Ridge.

Looking forward to getting my hands on it. Hope it doesnt take too long all the way to Norway?

Welcome to the SFF forum!

Your build looks good but I think there might be a problem: The Black Ridge cooler will most likely require low profile RAM to fit inside any of the X570 ITX boards. I only have the Asus X570 ITX board and even with low profile memory I couldn't get it to fit. Albeit, the Asus board has the m.2 stack near the PCIe slot that really gets in the way (of coolers and airflow). You might want to double-check on the compatibility of the mainboard/cooler/RAM you have. Other than that, everything seems good to me. Good luck with your build and post back here when you're done.

Ask me any questions you might have - I'd be happy to answer them if I can.