Completed Salvo Studios S402: ~9L Steel Console Style Case

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Oh boy. Do I get to be the first? Good stuff. Just got mine in today and couldn't wait to get all my things swapped over. It's a great little case. The only issues I had was with the location of the power plug on my PSU squeezing against the front USB ports and not really knowing which plugs on the power button went to the switch header and which to the LED. However, I got it right first try.

Great job man. It's like 98% what I wanted in a case but, I can be pretty picky. Home run my dude.

Always gotta test that it all works before closing it up.

Taming those wires.

All put in place. The mat is a nice touch.

Gamer mode activated.

Closeup.
Nice job on first! What are your component choices (CPU cooler in particular)?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I have a Ryzen 5 3600X on an Asus ROG board with the ID-Cooling IS-60. I swapped out the fan to a slim Noctua but, when trying to balance thermals and noise in game, I don't think it really mattered.
I'm currently using the Asus ROG board with a 3950X in Eco mode. The heatsink/fan is an IS-60 + Silverstone F141. It's a bit noisier than the 2700X + C7 but I haven't taken time to tune the fan curve yet. I'm actually thinking of swapping in a Noctua 120x15 chromax as I ordered it but haven't installed it yet.

Reactions: annasoh323

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update 1: I was contacted by a journalist who is starting his own blog site dedicated to interviewing the people behind SFF manufacturing. I agreed to be one of the few he's written about and he just posted the article here. I encourage you to read all the articles he has and follow him as there will be more I'm sure. I haven't given him enough photographs for my page, so excuse the wall of text for now.

Update 2: The S402 is available again to order here. I will not be able to ship them out tomorrow as I won't have time for any customized orders, but I do expect they will ship by Friday if not sooner. I spent 8 hours today preparing a large number of units to ship but I have more to work on. I have found several defects in either the paint or the fabrication of some units so I will need to send those back to be reworked. This means there will probably be a 2nd round of availability if I sell out of what I have and then a final round once I get the reworked pieces back from the fabricator. I don't expect to run out of stock until they are all gone, but maybe I'm open to being surprised.

Update 3: I'm going to work on sending out a newsletter tonight if I can. I will send it out tomorrow latest.

Jerdz

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2019
Update 1: I was contacted by a journalist who is starting his own blog site dedicated to interviewing the people behind SFF manufacturing. I agreed to be one of the few he's written about and he just posted the article here. I encourage you to read all the articles he has and follow him as there will be more I'm sure. I haven't given him enough photographs for my page, so excuse the wall of text for now.
That was a good read. It's fun to know the person behind these cases.

I'm a software engr as well but for a private company. You mentioned most of your work are contractual, are there any instances when you run out of work? Or the projects keep on coming (lined up)?

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
That was a good read. It's fun to know the person behind these cases.

I'm a software engr as well but for a private company. You mentioned most of your work are contractual, are there any instances when you run out of work? Or the projects keep on coming (lined up)?
My contract has been renewed several times but I've been embedded with this specific group for over 15 years. Unless I do something wrong, it's unlikely there will be a change for me - thankfully.

DSmithBYU

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 26, 2018
grsy, awkward question: is the S402 Demciflex filter compatible with the S401?

I missed the opportunity to purchase the S401 filters.

I'm planning to purchase both the filter & the horizontal mat.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017

I'll check on that and post back here.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017

It looks like the S402 filter will be a little on the large side. The vertical dimension of the S402 Demciflex filter will cover the entire vertical portion of the S401 vented panel. In the horizontal dimension, it will fit okay - I'll try to get a picture soon of the filter on an S401 acrylic panel to give you an idea about how it will fit.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Filter_on_S401.jpg
Sorry for the clear acrylic - makes it hard to see where the edges are. The new S402 filter is the same height as the entire S401 panel.

I think you can still order the original S401 filters directly from Demciflex here.

murderbymodem

Average Stuffer
Jun 6, 2019
SSD/HDD Video has been posted.

Thanks so much for the HDD video. Really gave me some clarity on how I want to configure my S402. I had seen the 2.5" disk stacker in the S402 product photos, but did not know you offered a 3.5" stacker as well. I can really go overkill on storage now if I want to. I'm hoping to cram the 210mm Zotac 2070 Super Mini in there along with two 3.5" drives with stackers - we'll see how it goes!

Sidenote- I forgot those 3.5" OCZ SSDs existed. I still have a few OCZ flash drives around - I remember using their memory a lot in my old builds too.

Reactions: grsychckn and Jerdz

MORDOCtheGREAT

Cable Smoosher
Jul 22, 2019
So, I saw that Sliger's Conswole made it into a Level 1 Techs video. Have you tried to contact any YouTube channels to see about getting the S402 reviewed? I actually bought a Sliger Console and, as much praise that Wendel gave the Conswole, I feel like would love yours. He specifically mentioned they missed out by not having any radiator support if your weren't going to have a video card...

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Thanks @rfarmer for putting the lohtec review!
So, I saw that Sliger's Conswole made it into a Level 1 Techs video. Have you tried to contact any YouTube channels to see about getting the S402 reviewed? I actually bought a Sliger Console and, as much praise that Wendel gave the Conswole, I feel like would love yours. He specifically mentioned they missed out by not having any radiator support if your weren't going to have a video card...
Wendell has an S402. I didn't ask him to review it, just give me feedback. I think it will be interesting what he says now that he's had time to make the Conswole video because I'm sure he compared the two.

Reactions: annasoh323

wolverinelogan

Cable Smoosher
Sep 25, 2019

Finally had time to put the case together! As a new PC builder, the SFF challenge was definitely difficult, but your case was so well designed that it was a lot easier than I thought it would be! Loving it so far, next step is a bit of cable management. Also glad I asked for spacers with using the AXP-100 low profile cooler, wouldn't have fit otherwise.

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
Two quick questions :

1. Judging by the specs, I'd guess the answer is No, but just in case : does a Black Ridge with a 12x15 fan on top fit?

2. Anybody have a travel bag to recommend for this thing? I suppose any bag that worked for the 401 would likely work for this too....

Cheers, and fantastic work again good Sir!

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Two quick questions :

1. Judging by the specs, I'd guess the answer is No, but just in case : does a Black Ridge with a 12x15 fan on top fit?

2. Anybody have a travel bag to recommend for this thing? I suppose any bag that worked for the 401 would likely work for this too....

Cheers, and fantastic work again good Sir!
1. Unfortunately not. The would put the height at around 63mm if I do the math correctly. Now, when I start making the spacers you might get enough clearance but I don't know for sure just yet.
2. Not a guarantee that bags for the S401 will work with the S402. The S402 is both taller and wider than the S401. I don't have any suggestions though, but I can look and see what I think might work. I intended to buy some and resell them but just haven't had the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverJS

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I heard back from OptimumTech and unfortunately he's not going to consider reviewing the S402 right now. His concern (which is valid) is that has reviewed many cases that end up becoming unavailable and thus he's worried that another review from him on a low-production product would result in an overwhelming amount of attention to such a small-number product. And to be honest, I quite agree. While it would be great to sell out on my S402 units quickly, I'm ill-equipped to handle a massive influx of orders and support requests.

That said, I have another opportunity to send a unit out for review through my friend Jim from AdoredTV. I'm currently working with Matthew to get the logistics in place so that I can ship out a unit with a few loaner items for him to properly review the S402. I have also reached out to Confusis on SFF net who redirected me to another user here that lives in CA and would be able to review the S402. However, I'm waiting to pull the trigger on that review so that I can spread out my exposure over a little longer time frame.

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
1. Unfortunately not. The would put the height at around 63mm if I do the math correctly. Now, when I start making the spacers you might get enough clearance but I don't know for sure just yet.
2. Not a guarantee that bags for the S401 will work with the S402. The S402 is both taller and wider than the S401. I don't have any suggestions though, but I can look and see what I think might work. I intended to buy some and resell them but just haven't had the time.

Thanks so much for your reply. No need to worry about bags, you've got enough on your plate. =)

As a starting point, I might suggest to others to look at Gator cases. Their mixer cases in particular are pretty interesting - the 12x12 or 15x15 models could likely work with the S402.