Completed Salvo Studios S402: ~9L Steel Console Style Case

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
More questions:

Will the final product has that overlapped metal sheets on the side?

What's the distance between the drive behind PSU to the motherboard? I wonder whether there's enough clearance for the SATA cable headers.

Also, is it possible to have some exhaust holes behind that place, as well as behind the motherboards, so the drives & M2 behind mobo will have enough ventilation?

Thank you.

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Is that radiator same size as the ones that come with an AIO; around 27mm thick?
The radiator pictured is ~33mm thick.
What does it look like if it fit a 2 slot card with that setup?
The radiator pictured interferes with the next PCIe mounting location so with a 27mm radiator you might be able to fit a 2-slot card but there would be no place for the air to flow.
Do you think you'll make spacers for the S402? I think I might need one.
I do intend on making spacers, probably 1/8" (3mm) and 1/4" (6mm) thicknesses. I won't be able to do this though until late summer 2020 at earliest. I cannot use my laser cutter where we are staying. I'll have to wait until we can move into our new home once they finish building it.

Reactions: Jerdz

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Will the final product has that overlapped metal sheets on the side?
You're actually comparing two different panels. The picture on the left is the "back" side and will have a single panel to cover the mainboard access hole. The picture on the right has one panel across the whole chassis because that is the vented panel opposite the half-solid panel on the left image. In other words, when horizontal, the top panel will cover the entire surface while the underside will have a thinner panel that covers half of the surface.

Edit: Sorry, I misunderstood that you were comparing it to a picture of prototype #1. That side panel has changed to only be half-height for the reasons below.

This was done for the last prototype for two reasons: 1. Allowed me to extend the AIO mounting holes nearer the edges and thus increased the supported GPU length to 210mm. 2. Saves on cost as there is less wasted material. Also, I should add that the thickness on that mainboard cover panel is 0.04", or about 1mm.
What's the distance between the drive behind PSU to the motherboard? I wonder whether there's enough clearance for the SATA cable headers.
That distance between the mainboard and the 2.5" drives will be right at 3/4". I measured my right angle SATA connectors that were included with several mainboards I have and they are all 1/2" in depth. So there will be just enough room to install them, though I will say it was a bear to disconnect them without removing the PSU mounting bracket (4 screws). When it comes to the SATA power though, it might require the mainboard or PSU mount be removed to connect/disconnect. The right-angle SATA power connectors I have at home run just over 0.6" in length while the straight ones are 0.8". With 0.75" of total space, some of the right angle SATA power connectors *should* work so long as they are at the end of the pigtail. I don't think you'll have the vertical clearance to use any of the SATA connectors in series but the last one.
Also, is it possible to have some exhaust holes behind that place, as well as behind the motherboards, so the drives & M2 behind mobo will have enough ventilation?
Unfortunately not. That said, there is just shy of 1/8" between the m.2 and the rear cover panel. With the right thermal pad, you could fill the gap and use that cover panel as a huge heatsink. There is even less space for the 2.5" drives and so a 1.5mm pad should get you great contact with the chassis.

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update first post with the updated information from the product page for the S402 on my site.

MORDOCtheGREAT

Cable Smoosher
Jul 22, 2019
On your sites front page you have the sentence " Like the S401, the S401 orients all the fan inlets to one..." about half way through the blerb about the S402..

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Will the s402 have a stand/feet to place it horizontally?
Yes, but most likely I will simply include some adhesive feet like I've done in the past. The reason for this is two-fold: 1. With the reduction of the rear mainboard solid panel, there are no mounting points for feet on right side (when horizontal, looking at the front). 2. The point of supporting the horizontal orientation is to get it as close to the resting surface as possible. Because other chassis rely on the rear vent for intake of GPU cooling, they cannot be oriented horizontally. In horizontal orientation, the S402's back-side vents (read: backside of the GPU) will be covered and unusable.

That said, one could purchase some additional vertical stands and raise the S402 off its resting surface by about an inch if you desired.

wolverinelogan

Cable Smoosher
Sep 25, 2019
What all will come with the case? I saw you mentioned a handle and fans. Will you include an extended PSU cable for inside the case and USB mobo connectors? Also will the final USB layout look just like your prototype?
Thank you, pictures are looking great!

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
This case is looking amazing! Is there any way to mount a 3.5" HDD behind a 2 slot GPU and also mount a 120mm AIO?
There is a way, but it won't be officially supported by me. a 3.5" HDD *might* be mountable directly onto the vents without the use of the drive tray. Most likely though, you'll only be able to use two screws to hold it on. I could take a picture in the next few days to show you what I mean. Now, I just checked and the gap between the backplate of a GPU and a 3.5" disk installed underneath it will be very tight. The good news is that I'm confident it will fit (even with the disk tray installed) and the PCIe riser cable will provide a spacer between the GPU and the HDD. Now, if you have no backplate to protect the PCIe riser cable from the rear solder joints penetrating the cable shielding, you may have to contact me because I can provide an adhesive guard to help protect the cable.

All the above is when using a standard ~26.1mm height 3.5" hdd in combination with a 2-slot PCIe device.

Reactions: Moongata

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
What all will come with the case? I saw you mentioned a handle and fans. Will you include an extended PSU cable for inside the case and USB mobo connectors? Also will the final USB layout look just like your prototype?
Thank you, pictures are looking great!

Just copying/pasting from the website. The case will come with an internal PSU extension cable. I spent $9/cable to get high-quality Mac cables that are very flexible - even near the PSU. This should eliminate any need for an adapter and as far as I know should allow any SFX PSU to be used. The USB cables have a molded 19-pin mainboard connector and will be located in the same place as in the prototype. The orientation of the USB front panel connectors can be flipped so the holes of your device can be facing whichever way you like (the USB holes on the chassis are symmetrical). Let me know if you have more specific questions.

What's Included
The S402 is made from 18 gauge galvanized steel and powder coated black
  • Main chassis with all mounts
  • PSU mounting bracket
  • PCIe mounting bracket
  • Vented intake panel (16 gauge galvanized steel)
  • Solid rear cover panel
  • Drive mount panel
  • PCIe riser cable (27cm)
  • Vertical Stands (x2)
  • Removable Handle
  • Front power button w/ LED white ring
  • Rear reset button
  • Internal power extension
  • USB 3.0 front panel interface (x2)
  • 70x15mm PWM fans (x3)*
  • Accessory mounting fasteners**
*Included fans carry only a 30-day warranty
**Fastener hardware will be provided for:
  • 2x2.5" and 1x3.5" drives - for additional fasteners please see the product page
  • Three fans
  • One Mainboard
  • One 3-slot PCIe device
  • One PCIe riser cable
  • One PSU mount
  • One pair USB front panel device
  • One vented and one solid side panel
  • Two stands (thumbscrews)
  • One handle (thumbscrews)
  • One disk mount tray

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I spent hours today counting screws. I probably counted 4000 screws today, but I have all the required screws bagged now for the 105 units I had manufactured. I also ordered the remaining screws I need to pre-assemble the cases and I purchased the updated custom shipping boxes. Today I received what I hope to be the correct packaging materials so I can quickly pack each case without a lot of custom cutting of foam or taping like I had to do with the S401.

Pre-assembly is going to be difficult. I'm out of space in my new study/workshop here in the townhouse so I'm going to have to annex another room in the house when I finally get the chassis though completion of the packing process.

Oh, I also picked the final color. I know I wanted to use the "Morton" dark grey color but when I held it next to the black button, I didn't like it. Therefore, I'm going with the less risky textured black. Because this is a new fabricator though, the black on the S402 will be different than that of the S401. This black has more of a sheen to it and will reflect light. I prefer the black on the S401, but I'm willing to bet a lot of people are going to like this black a little better. I would describe it as a black with a glossy-flocked texture. I'll try to get some pictures in the next few days, but time for pictures will be hard as I've got to go into work for a few days to take care of some disconnected networks at my job. Therefore, I'm not going to have a lot of time until Friday to do some of the things I would like. I'll update and answer questions when I can.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
I spent hours today counting screws. I probably counted 4000 screws today, but I have all the required screws bagged now for the 105 units I had manufactured. I also ordered the remaining screws I need to pre-assemble the cases and I purchased the updated custom shipping boxes. Today I received what I hope to be the correct packaging materials so I can quickly pack each case without a lot of custom cutting of foam or taping like I had to do with the S401.

Pre-assembly is going to be difficult. I'm out of space in my new study/workshop here in the townhouse so I'm going to have to annex another room in the house when I finally get the chassis though completion of the packing process.

Oh, I also picked the final color. I know I wanted to use the "Morton" dark grey color but when I held it next to the black button, I didn't like it. Therefore, I'm going with the less risky textured black. Because this is a new fabricator though, the black on the S402 will be different than that of the S401. This black has more of a sheen to it and will reflect light. I prefer the black on the S401, but I'm willing to bet a lot of people are going to like this black a little better. I would describe it as a black with a glossy-flocked texture. I'll try to get some pictures in the next few days, but time for pictures will be hard as I've got to go into work for a few days to take care of some disconnected networks at my job. Therefore, I'm not going to have a lot of time until Friday to do some of the things I would like. I'll update and answer questions when I can.
Looking forward to seeing some pics and lots of great news! You're the best!! Have a safe next couple of days at work!

Reactions: grsychckn

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Grsy, question:

After the release of the S402, will you be commissioning new Demciflex vented panel filters for the case??
I am looking into that now. It takes a few weeks for me to get a sample from them and the price is going to be expensive. Probably around $25-30 each this time as the case is bigger and I'm not going to order as many.

Edit: I didn't remember what I paid last time until I searched - it seems they might not be as expensive as I recall. Hold for my update on this.

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Update: I received pictures today of the sample mat. Apparently, it is supposed to be delivered today so I should be able to get some photos of it beneath the case. I misread the e-mail, not sure when it will be delivered but hopefully soon.

Edit: I wanted to go with gray but I think they only have black thread for the edges. Therefore, I'm thinking a much darker gray - like the background color of SFF forum. If you have a request for the background color let me know.

Last edited:

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I just realised the forum has basically not given me any notifications on this thread so I hope I didn't miss out on preordering :(
I've had the same problem too. However, I will be sending info out on the newsletter once I get to the point of accepting orders. Plus, I'll have enough stock to last me a few months at least.

duynguyenle

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 20, 2019
I've had the same problem too. However, I will be sending info out on the newsletter once I get to the point of accepting orders. Plus, I'll have enough stock to last me a few months at least.

That's excellent thank you.

Did you by any chance have any orders from the UK in your previous cases and if so, do you happen to know a rough estimate for how much shipping cost would be to the UK?