Completed Salvo Studios S402: ~9L Steel Console Style Case

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Also, just ordered the following AIOs:

upHere Liquid CPU - This one is cheap and looks fun to play with

Enermax Aquafusion 120 - This one has a high pump clearance and uses the vertical inlet/outlet on the CPU block. I want to see if I can get this to fit without major kink/bend issues.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I have pictures of the prototype S402 but my webhost is working on resolving why images are returning HTTP 503 errors. I'll post them as soon as possible.

Early feedback on the prototype is that everything looks great and only a few very minor changes to make. I have a few concerns that I need to discuss with the fabricator, but those are not design problems but fit and finish because the side panels are thin and tend to bow since I'm not hemming the edges like on the S401. I may have to use a thicker material to ensure gaps are tight and consistent. The other option would be to move fastener locations but I want to avoid making those types of changes which could lead to a delay in production. Pictures will explain what I mean.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Web host fixed their problem:

Last edited:

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Is it just me or in the #392 does the GPU sit lower to the left than to the right? It looks like its about 1mm lower on the left side of the bracket than on the right. I only mention this because I think there was a mini issue with some users and the GPU io not lining up properly in the s402.

Also, is that the production color? Or just a base coat?

Looks pretty nice! A little thicker, but it will be awesome. I wonder if it will support the raijintek Morpheus GPU cooler. (Probably only with slim fans)

Edit: Interesting to see the c14 connector at the top, does that mean some thicker 60mm fans could be housed up there??

Edit2: how does the handle feel when holding a built system? I wonder with the more blocky nature of the bar style, if it hurts/cuts into the hand a little (not a lot or anything not like painful, but more pressure non the corners of the bar, and obviously more than the more rounded style handle of the s401)

Last edited:
Reactions: grsychckn

Jerdz

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2019

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Is it just me or in the #392 does the GPU sit lower to the left than to the right? It looks like its about 1mm lower on the left side of the bracket than on the right. I only mention this because I think there was a mini issue with some users and the GPU io not lining up properly in the s402.

Looks pretty nice! A little thicker, but it will be awesome. I wonder if it will support the raijintek Morpheus GPU cooler. (Probably only with slim fans)

Edit: Interesting to see the c14 connector at the top, does that mean some thicker 60mm fans could be housed up there??

Edit2: how does the handle feel when holding a built system? I wonder with the more blocky nature of the bar style, if it hurts/cuts into the hand a little (not a lot or anything not like painful, but more pressure non the corners of the bar, and obviously more than the more rounded style handle of the s401)

I've changed the GPU mount to be more like the S400 where there is much more room for tweaking the position of the GPU. It looks slightly angled because I installed it hastily but could easily tweak it's position to align it perfectly. Good eye!

The S402 supports 60mm and 70mm fans that are up to 25mm in depth/height. The Noctua A6x25 fans will fit in both the top two mounting locations and the single bottom mount near the GPU.

The handle feels very sturdy but thin in your hand. I would much rather include the hex bar mounted on top of this handle but that would increase my cost by at least $15/handle. I'm afraid it just isn't feasible for me to take that risk. I would rather include a handle with every unit than try to sell them for little to no profit on their own.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Thanks for your work!

How is the AIO mounted btw? Is it screwed on the top (red) or at the side panel vents (blue)?

The blue area is where the AIO radiator/fan will be mounted. Right through the vent pattern. The Enermax AIO could only be installed with 2 screws as the vent pattern stops and I'd have to stretch it to provide more clearance. I'm currently investigating this.

Do you think this card would fit with a 120mm AIO? It's a 2 slot card and 197mm in length.
It fits here ??

I don't think that is going to work. The card in my original picture is 190mm in length. Again though, I'm going to try and create as much space as I can for the AIO in combination with the GPU length.

Reactions: Jerdz

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017

Sorry, forgot to address this. The color of this prototype is not the final color. I'm going to go with the "Morton" color for the final units which is a very dark gray (almost black). It will let me choose hardware a little easier and is less polarizing.

Reactions: Talyrius

Jerdz

Trash Compacter
Nov 13, 2019
Can you upload a build with; 1 or 2-slot card with 240 aio but only 1 fan? (the rest of the aio will be behind the 1 or 2-slot gpu)
Sounds crazy but I'm just curious if I could reuse my 240 aio XD

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
Can you upload a build with; 1 or 2-slot card with 240 aio but only 1 fan? (the rest of the aio will be behind the 1 or 2-slot gpu)
Sounds crazy but I'm just curious if I could reuse my 240 aio XD
I received the prototype and immediately got very busy at work and now am on vacation celebrating my wedding anniversary. I have this coming week to test fit other hardware and then I'm out of town again for work for a week. I hope to get the final designs back to the fabricator during the week I'm on travel.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
So, my one biggest concern is the side panels. They are thin and are not hemmed edges like on the S401. This means there no reinforcement there to hold them straight and flush to the body of the S402. The way I see it, I have two options: 1. Increase the thickness of the panels to increase strength. 2. Add a flange to the front so that it would cover any panel gaps at the front should a side panel get bent. The problem with #2 is I don't want to add a flange to the top and bottom so there will likely be some cases with panel gaps at the top and bottom - though I don't think there should be much concern. Gaps can be addressed by "massaging" the panel such that it fits with little to no gaps.

At this point, I'm going to draw up some ideas for a flange design and if I don't like them I'm going to simply increase the gauge of the metal to help protect the side panels from warping (likely to be a problem during fabrication as well because punching and/or laser cutting will cause warpage).

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
So, my one biggest concern is the side panels. They are thin and are not hemmed edges like on the S401. This means there no reinforcement there to hold them straight and flush to the body of the S402. The way I see it, I have two options: 1. Increase the thickness of the panels to increase strength. 2. Add a flange to the front so that it would cover any panel gaps at the front should a side panel get bent. The problem with #2 is I don't want to add a flange to the top and bottom so there will likely be some cases with panel gaps at the top and bottom - though I don't think there should be much concern. Gaps can be addressed by "massaging" the panel such that it fits with little to no gaps.

At this point, I'm going to draw up some ideas for a flange design and if I don't like them I'm going to simply increase the gauge of the metal to help protect the side panels from warping (likely to be a problem during fabrication as well because punching and/or laser cutting will cause warpage).

I think that thicker panels are the better solution since they address both the strength and the potential warpage issue. Another way to keep the panels more flush with the front surface could be to add a bracket/flange midway up on the panel (basically where your arrow is pointing) and have another screw mount there as well.

grsychckn

SFF Guru
Original poster
Salvo Studios
Oct 11, 2017
I think that thicker panels are the better solution since they address both the strength and the potential warpage issue. Another way to keep the panels more flush with the front surface could be to add a bracket/flange midway up on the panel (basically where your arrow is pointing) and have another screw mount there as well.

Yeah, I'm going to increase the thickness and leave it at that. Adding a flange to edges will add significantly more labor costs because you have to multiply it by the number of chassis I'm making (~100).

I would also like to increase the support for AIO and GPUs longer than 180mm but I don't think it can happen without a major redesign of the "solid" side panel because I would need to enlarge the vent pattern on that back side by about 0.75" which would make that panel very flimsy and might introduce new problems with the bending of the main body as the vent holes will be closer than 0.3" to the edge. Of course, if you're comfortable only mounting the 120mm AIO by two screws, you can still maneuver it to clear up space.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Yeah, I'm going to increase the thickness and leave it at that. Adding a flange to edges will add significantly more labor costs because you have to multiply it by the number of chassis I'm making (~100).

I would also like to increase the support for AIO and GPUs longer than 180mm but I don't think it can happen without a major redesign of the "solid" side panel because I would need to enlarge the vent pattern on that back side by about 0.75" which would make that panel very flimsy and might introduce new problems with the bending of the main body as the vent holes will be closer than 0.3" to the edge. Of course, if you're comfortable only mounting the 120mm AIO by two screws, you can still maneuver it to clear up space.
2 screws should be enough.

Just an idea, could you just add a couple mounting holes? Like 1 or 2 sets. they would not be visible due to the external panel, and would provide options for a little more flexibility w/o causing too much flexibility issues with the "bending issue".