S4 Mini Classic #77 - Sputnik

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
Impressive. But that 750ti tho...
But in all honesty, at this point, my Microsoft Surface is miles ahead of this build.
Great for fun and all, but those specs aren't anything to brag about....

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Impressive. But that 750ti tho...
But in all honesty, at this point, my Microsoft Surface is miles ahead of this build.
Great for fun and all, but those specs aren't anything to brag about....
You'll note that I don't particularly care what the Microsoft Surface is capable of, or that my hardware isn't up to those standards. The challenge I gave myself was to do a full hardline loop in the S4M-C and I did. The hardware I already had, use, and enjoy :) I can play indie-games at 1440p just fine, and 1080 for last-gen AAA titles at medium to high settings. Good enough for me.

I really do hope a new GPU comes around in the same form factor in the 11xx series, more like 2.5x than 1.5x the performance that a 1050ti would bring. That would be dope af for this. And a new CPU would be great too, but upgrading platforms is very expensive, even more so than the fittings.

I just wanted to push this out there so that people know it's possible, even though I'm still in the process of making it pretty. Besides, it was never intended to stay watercooled; that's what Radian is for ;)

-edited to be nicer-

Last edited:

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Awesome! I feel like this is the Space Race and you just launched Sputnik!

I'm very proud :D

We need more pictures!!!!!
Lol! I'm very glad, and I love that analogy :) I took those pictures while your live stream was up earlier, but I do have some in-progress shots that I can upload in a bit.

When I see SM4 fully watercooled I immediately think it has an external radiator, the fact you were able to get this fully contained inside a SM4 is impressive indeed.

Nice of you to edit to be nicer, I would have blasted him.
Was very hard to resist :p but thanks, I do really appreciate it.

And for anyone wondering, running Uniengine Heaven for a few hours had the loop comfortably at 55-60c, with no signs of throttling on either component. Considering it's a dual 50mm radiator, not too shabby. The fans are noisy at full blast but it's a pretty soothing "white-noise" to my ears, much better than any big occilating fan. Foregoing the internal AC/DC would have allowed a triple rad and probably 10C lower temperatures by my guesstimate.

I actually forgot to turn on the pump for the first half hour, and the sheer mass of the fittings in the loop was enough to sink most of the heat. Scalding to touch, but cooled quickly once I got the pump running.

Mtthwmths

Trash Compacter
Jan 24, 2018
I can't believe this was even possible! Looking forward to sleeved cables!! What's going to be the first game on the build when it's all snapped together?

Reactions: Biowarejak

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Woohoo!

So excited to have my system up and running. It isn't finalized and not perfect, but still quite fun. RAM is still being RMA'd.

Specs:
  • 6700t
  • 750ti
  • 12gb generic DDR4 currently (Normally 16gb of G.Skill Trident Z RGB)
  • You can check the parts list in the previous post for the details. ;)
Now I just need to sleeve some cables!
Wow!!!!!!!!!! Masterpiece.

Biowarejak

Original poster
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Well damn I've been away for some time. This has been on hiatus, my power unit wound up dying on me and took my gpu with it. I've been putting off finishing the build as a result, until suitable replacements can be found. I did come up with a name though. Sputnik. I didn't do it best, but I did it first.

-edit-

Looks like the 200 watt AC/DC is FINALLY a thing :) I'll get that as soon as I can.

Last edited: