Project: OSIDIAS (officially v4). What's this? A worklog?!

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Yeah, yeah, I can sense the disbelief from the other side of the keyboard, haha. I'm actually starting a new worklog, and for the time being it's a SFFN exclusive! I'll leave out the part about being too busy to post anywhere else for the time being. :D

For those that don't know me, SFF and I go way back. I've done multiple projects over the years, and if I've had one consistent theme, it had been to pack as much as humanly possible into as small a space as possible. With mods like Project: L.O.S.I.A.S and Project: Rogue I took that to the extreme. OSIDIAS was another work in progress, that although unfinished at this point, continued the trend.

You know how life sometimes gets in the way? Due to other commitments, modding took a bit of a backseat in my life, but in 2013 I built MPD-01. A year in planning, but only about 2 months to build, it kind of caught everyone by surprise. Members of Losias/SFFr forums knew what I was up to, but even they didn't get the full scoop. As of yet, it's not been worklogged anywhere. Well, that mod ended up being the Intel Lanfest 2013 overall winner. Chosen the best mod out of all the Lanfest events that year, was quite an honor, as I know there was some very serious competition. That said, it's been almost 3 years since the case was finished. I guess as a testament to how much I love that case, and how functional it really is, it's still my daily rig. I take it to several LAN's a year, and it's never once given me a reason to question it's function or intended use. Times change however, and I'm ready for a hardware upgrade. Why upgrade unless I have a shiny new case to drop the hardware in? (MPD pic below.)

Well, that leads me to this post today. I've designed a new revision of OSIDIAS, but that's ultimately not the next case I'll be building. Although this project is still unnamed, I'll be starting the build very soon. I'll admit, I'm not quite done with the design yet, and tweaks are still being made. I'm close though, so very close. In fact, now that I've publicly outed it and started a log, I'm committed right?

So, as time has passed, what I need in my own rig has changed. I no longer need all the extras I used to feel were essential. Things are much simpler now, and with the ever dropping price of SSD's and excellent ITX hardware, it makes sense to go smaller than I've ever gone before. With that in mind, this mod is fairly straightforward. 3 SSD's, ITX Z170, Intel CPU (I5 or I7 yet to be decided), obligatory RAM, low profile modded air cooling, HD-Plex 250w PSU and associated power brick, and ITX sized GPU (likely AMD Nano). All things considered, it will be as much as that little PSU can handle, so I'll look at a more efficient cooling solution for it.

Enough talking, right? How about a few pics? You can see how it sits now, mesh isn't currently visible due intense resource usage. Being who I am, there will also likely be some sort of Android device mounted to the front. Average 12oz beverage can for scale... I'll add more info as the design is finalized. Cheers!

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Nice, I'll look forward to seeing progress on this :)

One thought though, that sheet metal handle doesn't look very comfortable to hold.

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Makes me want to get on with my case build.

Planning is always fun, but there's nothing like building, and it's been far too long.

Nice, I'll look forward to seeing progress on this :)

One thought though, that sheet metal handle doesn't look very comfortable to hold.

Thank you. No, I don't imagine it would be really comfortable for long. It's 2mm thick aluminum and it's really only meant for short term use. I'll probably build a custom hard shell case for it, but having used the handles on MPD-01 for the last 3 years, it's infinitely handy to grab and reposition as needed.

Haha, nice!

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
Form and function together as one. I look forward to the rest of this worklog and indeed, the entire thread as a whole over time.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I've seen OSIDIAS, which was an absolutely crazy build, and I'd like to see a log of MPD as well, but this is looking pretty tasty already and I'm sure it will be quite the looker when it's done. Not that it isn't already in the models ;)

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Form and function together as one. I look forward to the rest of this worklog and indeed, the entire thread as a whole over time.

Thanks! The original plan was to get the design work done in time to finish the build for Intel Lanfest Netwar 30 on April 1st of this year. At this point, I don't think I'll make the deadline. Although it's not very large physically, these things always take more time than you'd think.

I've seen OSIDIAS, which was an absolutely crazy build, and I'd like to see a log of MPD as well, but this is looking pretty tasty already and I'm sure it will be quite the looker when it's done. Not that it isn't already in the models ;)

Thanks man. I do still intend to log MPD. I've got all the pics uploaded to my image host, so it's just a matter of getting the links and starting a thread. I would imagine it would be light on the commentary since it's already finished and not happening in real time.

There are still a few little design details I need to add, but I'm not completely certain yet of the direction I'll be taking. The side panels are a little plain yet, but I'm not sure what to change, if anything. On the orange center strip on the side, there will be an illuminated logo. I'm not sure if it will be the project name, or if I'll go with the standard 'Losias'. Also, since i don't think I'll make the April 1st deadline, it may mean I won't make the case out of aluminum. For those that know me, I wonder what that could mean? o_O

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
it may mean I won't make the case out of aluminum. For those that know me, I wonder what that could mean?

Breaking out the vacuum pump again?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
We've been optimizing, streamlining and minimizing our builds, I totally forgot that an SFF case could be more than a slick and tight designed timeless feature. I'm looking forward to more of this case !

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
We've been optimizing, streamlining and minimizing our builds, I totally forgot that an SFF case could be more than a slick and tight designed timeless feature. I'm looking forward to more of this case !

Thank you. It definitely has been fun to watch the one-upmanship when it comes to smallest possible case. I even approached that a bit with MPD, at least in regards to the internals. Full size GPU, two 2.5” SSD’s, two 3.5” drives, 140mm AIO watercooling, etc. There wasn’t much I else I could have realistically added in the given space. However, even there I decided to add some character to the case externals. I tend to favor symmetrical industrial/sci-fi/military ideas, and I wanted something that would stand out. I don’t usually go for subtle or minimalistic. This mod could certainly be smaller externally, but there’s only so much you can do to a cube or rectangular case design from a stylistic standpoint. With that in mind, I wasn’t concerned with adding a few cm’s worth of extra’s outside in order to get the look I want. Despite its size I wanted it to be a focal point on my desk. We’ll see how that ultimately turns out. I’ll be breaking out the carbon fiber for the first time in 6 years…

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Thanks man! The exterior design is pretty solidified at this point. I’m working on finalizing the interior layout. I have the component placement finalized, but am designing the mounts and brackets to hold everything in place. I’m trying to keep things pretty straightforward and clean. Although MPD wasn’t as complex as previous mods, there were still a lot of individual component and pieces that needed to be designed. I’m trying to eliminate a lot of that here. It shouldn’t be too long before I post up those details.

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Damn, time flies I guess. I can’t believe I last posted in this thread back in March. I’ll admit, I’ve not been on the forum much, nor have I really been doing a whole lot with modding and computers in general. I’ve been focusing on my Jeep-Core.com side business, as well as building up my Grand Cherokee. A trip to Moab Utah this summer involved a lot of prep beforehand, as well as some changes made afterwards. The trip was outstanding, and one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Until that trip, it was really hard to grasp what a well built vehicle can handle offroad. I came back with a bunch of new ideas, and as a consequence, my GC is currently sitting on 35 inch tires with just over 6” of lift. No small feat for the Grand Cherokee WK platform with IFS in front. I digress however, and I’ll get back on topic here.

As I alluded to with the first post, I may have gotten a little complacent with modding. I built something I loved so much with MPD, that I lacked the drive to actually build something new. Even after almost 4 years, it still handled everything I threw at it. There was something very comforting in the fact that I could just sit down and do what needed to be done. I didn’t need to tweak or troubleshoot anything. It just simply worked. Well, I guess nothing lasts forever. As of a few days ago, the old Asrock Z77 ITX motherboard decided to go a little flaky on me. I could no longer reliably boot, and no amount of troubleshooting, (or even a Windows reinstall as a last resort), could bring it out of its funk. Goodnight sweet prince…

All of the above brings me to the present. I already had a few components, including the HDPLEX-250W and a Dell 330W AC adapter. Now I finally had a reason to order a few others. A shiny new ASUS Z170I PRO GAMING ITX motherboard, i5 6600K, and 16GB of HyperX Fury RAM were ordered Sunday. Today I bought a Cryorig C7 (which will get a few modifications), and a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD. I’ve got to decide on a ITX video card yet, and whether or not I want to get a couple more higher capacity 2.5” SSD’s, or at least one high capacity 2.5” HDD. Beyond the M.2 drive, I’ve got room in the case for two 2.5” drives. I tend to be a game hoarder, and like to have a lot of them installed at an given time. I’m not sure I want to spend the cash for 1TB SSD’s, but high capacity HDD’s are hella slow by comparison, albeit way cheaper.

So, when I last left off, I mentioned that I had a few interior design ideas to work out. I really didn’t progress much beyond that this spring, but I’m currently taking care of that. I jumped back into the CAD work full force last night, and really should have things finalized soon. I was having trouble conceptualizing an effective interior structure. I wanted it super clean, and I needed supports to be minimal. I’m expanding on MPD’s ‘Core’ design concept with a few new twists. In addition, I also needed wiring obstructions to be minimal, and their routing to be effective. In fact, the runs in this case will be so short, I’m not sure sleeving the cables even makes sense. We’ll see how that works out in the real world.

Now that this is all set in motion, I’ve got no more excuses for delay. The new hardware isn’t going in MPD, and will likely just sit in use on my desk like a piece of modern abstract art while the new case gets built. The ‘core’ itself shouldn’t be so bad. It will be CNC machined aluminum. The outer carbon fiber shell will take a little longer. Oh man, I’ve missed this!

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Oh sick project! And a fellow Jeeper!

This is my baby:

5.7L 350, TH350 with shift kit, Twin-Stick Dana 300, D44 rear custom chromolys all around, spartan locker in the front MM hubs, and a bunch of other stuff.

I took some video of my last trip too. Love to see some of yours!

Reactions: Soul_Est