(COMPLETE) SFF Inception: NFC Skyreach 4 MINI Brickless Build Log

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Update: The custom foam inserts for the travel case are taking forever, and when I get impatient I have to stay busy. I started to work on a prototype S4M vertical stand that could be used with the machined aluminum feet that I originally planned for this build. I want to keep the bottom open for airflow through the bottom of the case, but the first prototype proved that there need to be supports to prevent flexing. Working on a new revision now.

I found the perfect place to put my signature on the build. Denton font from Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Update: Final revision of the S4M stand is complete. I added supports to help prevent flexing, but still allow for airflow through the bottom of the case in a vertical position. I painted it black to match the case and applied clear coat with a crackle effect in the hopes of creating a "Titan Shield" effect from the game.

I have made the .step file for this stand available for free to download under the "Resources" section of the forum. You can find it at the link below:

Last edited:

east113

Case Bender
Sep 15, 2019
Where did you get the aviation connector? I've looked online but haven't had any luck. Might use that for the S4T if I can get my hands on one for my APU builds new home.

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Where did you get the aviation connector? I've looked online but haven't had any luck. Might use that for the S4T if I can get my hands on one for my APU builds new home.

Of all the items that I purchased for this build, the 16mm Aviation connector was the most illusive. I found one on eBay, ordered it, and it never came. I ordered another one from the same seller, and it never came. I found one on Amazon, and three consecutive times the item was "damaged" during shipping and I never saw it. I almost gave up on it, but the last order through Amazon finally arrived.

east113

Case Bender
Sep 15, 2019
Of all the items that I purchased for this build, the 16mm Aviation connector was the most illusive. I found one on eBay, ordered it, and it never came. I ordered another one from the same seller, and it never came. I found one on Amazon, and three consecutive times the item was "damaged" during shipping and I never saw it. I almost gave up on it, but the last order through Amazon finally arrived.

That sounds like one hell of a time getting a hold of it. I'll do some more digging on amazon then to see if I can find it.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I think a good term to search for would be 'cannon plug'. That's what we call them at work.

Maybe this works?

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Update: It took longer than expected, but the custom foam inserts for the travel case are finished. Everything fits well without movement or shifting. The only thing that won't fit is the vertical stand, but I'm OK with that. Final test will be this weekends' flight home. Final pictures coming soon!

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Looks fantastic!

Maybe cut a small channel out for the mouse cable to pass straight into the cables cutout, to relieve that sharp bend?

Thinking about it you could just cut a line into the foam and that would work fine

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
Looks fantastic!

Maybe cut a small channel out for the mouse cable to pass straight into the cables cutout, to relieve that sharp bend?

Thinking about it you could just cut a line into the foam and that would work fine

Good idea. A slit will be sufficient.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
When I first saw the first pic I thought you had gone for a too small carrying case - but then I saw the second layer, and I realized that it is pretty darn near perfect. Nice job. Did you cut the foam yourself, or have it done somewhere?

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
When I first saw the first pic I thought you had gone for a too small carrying case - but then I saw the second layer, and I realized that it is pretty darn near perfect. Nice job. Did you cut the foam yourself, or have it done somewhere?

Had it cut locally through a small business. I used a thin sheet of plastic under the top tray, and attached nylon handles. There are a few online websites that will do it, but they charge too much.

Reactions: Broxin and Valantar

m.trix

Trash Compacter
Jul 9, 2019
Where did you find the information on wiring the Avi connectors? I know @Josh | NFC has some on his site but not sure where to looking for wiring. Would love to do this for a potential HDP400w brickless in my S4M.

The mounting of the HDPlex 400W AC-DC mod required new holes to be drilled and tapped into the case frame. A new challenge was apparent when connecting the Aviation Power Cable. Quick disconnects are needed, so I re-soldered and re-sleeved the cables.

[/QUOTE]

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
I didn't find the information online. I just followed the wire from the outlet plug of the power cable to the AV connector, then to the AC-DC power supply. Black to black, red to red, green to green (yellow).

m.trix

Trash Compacter
Jul 9, 2019
I didn't find the information online. I just followed the wire from the outlet plug of the power cable to the AV connector, then to the AC-DC power supply. Black to black, red to red, green to green (yellow).
Ah Okay, gotcha. So they are color coded then. Was unsure as to how I am going to wire it up since I do not yet have the HDP AC-DC. I'll keep that in mind when I finally get it. Might settle for the connectors it comes with for now.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Ah Okay, gotcha. So they are color coded then. Was unsure as to how I am going to wire it up since I do not yet have the HDP AC-DC. I'll keep that in mind when I finally get it. Might settle for the connectors it comes with for now.
The socket itself is not color coded. What he means is that since you'll be doing both the plug and the socket, just make sure the corresponding pins have same cable color.

These aviation connector (GX16-3, is that correct?), is not strictly used for certain purposes unlike IEC power sockets and plugs, so the standard doesn't dictate what cable goes where.

seven7thirty30

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jun 2, 2019
The socket itself is not color coded. What he means is that since you'll be doing both the plug and the socket, just make sure the corresponding pins have same cable color.

These aviation connector (GX16-3, is that correct?), is not strictly used for certain purposes unlike IEC power sockets and plugs, so the standard doesn't dictate what cable goes where.

In addition, the aviation connectors are numbered 1-3. I used 1 for red, 2 for black, and 3 for green/yellow.

m.trix

Trash Compacter
Jul 9, 2019
Ah I see what you mean, litterly. So just match up the numbers to which ever contacts you choose, just "don't cross the streams". LoL