Log RCC-eGPU1 | 3L SFF-sized DIY Thunderbolt 3 eGPU

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I wanted to do some small sized DIY TB3 eGPU enclosure for some time now.

Here it is: RCC-eGPU1

My aims for this project:
  • small enough to be portable
  • internal power supply
  • fits small sized graphics cards up to 200mm
  • DIY friendly
  • affordable (relatively speaking :p)
Part list:

Last edited:

ricsonc

Chassis Packer
Feb 4, 2021
Looks interesting. Worried about the longevity of the PSU if it will be a regular flex and left turned on always. Any plans for such a case? I understand that ATX spec'ed PSU's don't like being on unless there is load right?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Looks interesting. Worried about the longevity of the PSU if it will be a regular flex and left turned on always. Any plans for such a case? I understand that ATX spec'ed PSU's don't like being on unless there is load right?

No worries. You can leave most modern ATX PSUs switched on with no load (or very low load as the JEYI module also needs some power in standby). It will have a little higher "standby" power consumption compared to e.g. a Meanwell unit.

I'm planning to add a power switch so you can turn it off when not in use. Maybe I can still find a way to trigger the PSon function automatically.

Last edited:

trees_z

Trash Compacter
Jan 27, 2021
I'm planning to add a power switch so you can turn it off when not in use. Maybe I can still find a way to trigger the PSon function automatically.

PSon functionality would be great. I'm currently tinkering with a eGPU in a Velka case but opted to just pull the PCB out of a used eGPU to avoid the hassle.

Reactions: REVOCCASES

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
forgot to post an update on this project, so here we go...

the case is pretty simple, made of three bend aluminum parts

G-Unique send me a suitable 200W 12V Platinum PSU which is normally used in some HP AIO PCs ... this can run passive cooled but since I will push it to the limits and because it will sit pretty close to the hot GPU backplate I have added two silent Panasonic fans...

all hooked up together with the GxR-DIY Load Switch Module and a voltage converter for the Panasonic fans

I have decided to make the case a little bit longer so I can use my RTX2070 which is about 200mm

the PSU bracket also acts like an additional heatsink for the HP PSU

cutout for TB3 and AC connectors on the bottom, holes for cable management

the gaps all around the case are there for ventilation but I still might add some slots on the top of the case

also need to get a longer TB3 cable... 😅

Last edited:

trees_z

Trash Compacter
Jan 27, 2021
also need to get a longer TB3 cable... 😅

Not sure how you feel about technically non-compliant Thunderbolt 3 solutions... but I've tested some short 6" TB3 extension cables from Amazon and they seem to work fine. Would clean up the back of the eGPU a little.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Not sure how you feel about technically non-compliant Thunderbolt 3 solutions... but I've tested some short 6" TB3 extension cables from Amazon and they seem to work fine. Would clean up the back of the eGPU a little.

As long as it's working, I'm fine. Which one did you get?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Here a few pictures of the final build with the powder coated case:

For those interested, I have updated the first post with the part list and estimated cost.

As always, if you like this project and also looking for some small custom made eGPU like this, just let me know and I'll get you one. :)

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Well thought, clean and good looking! Very nice! :cool:

Do you have a ref or a product link?

Thanks.

Here you go:

Might find them cheaper on Aliexpress or TaoBao directly.

Reactions: BaK

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Any 10Gbps rated USB-C cable should work as a TB3 cable for short lengths (<1m) - there isn't any difference in the wiring AFAIK. I've used a 1m USB cable for TB3 networking between two laptops, at least.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Any 10Gbps rated USB-C cable should work as a TB3 cable for short lengths (<1m) - there isn't any difference in the wiring AFAIK. I've used a 1m USB cable for TB3 networking between two laptops, at least.

For networking it might work but for my eGPU unfortunately it did not.

Got a second hand TB3 cable for EUR 15,- so I could test some different rated cables and see how good they would perform (all cables 0.7m) :

Be careful not to use the included PCI-E to Sata connector if the attached device uses more then 50 watts of power. Anything more is a fire hazard since the SATA connector is only rated for about 54 watts while a regular PCI-E connector is rated for at least 75 watt.

Good you pointing that out. The cables that come with those risers / adapters are thick enough to handle 75W but SATA connectors are not really suitable for that. First thing I always do is cutting them off and solder or crimp the cables directly to the 12VDC power source.

DrLeroy

Noob Saibot
May 15, 2020
This is similar to a project I had in mind myself, though i was intending on making it much smaller, for use of a Quadro P600-P100 single slot LP card(or gt1030 i guess would be same size) and using a much smaller power solution for the lower power card, use was going to be to add some tiny EPGU goodness to my XPS13 for work (CAD administrator) but i ended up getting a Precision 5550 through work, so gave up, this however makes me want to do it for fun anyway! good work.

Patafikss

What's an ITX?
New User
Jan 30, 2022
This looks absolutely fantastic. I was looking for something really small like this that would fit in my suitcase for gaming while visiting my parents, but still with my tiny (but powerful) laptop. Seems like the very best case I've seen.

@REVOCCASES I would certainly be very interested in getting a similar case, maybe with an even juicier GPU once the prices drop a bit. Also I will have to change my laptop soon (work related), but I'd be interested in getting in touch :)