Log RCC-eGPU2 | a tiny portable 0.6L Thunderbolt GTX 1650 eGPU

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
Is it possible to use thunderbolt for both power delivery protocol (100W 20V5A) to power m.2-pcie riser and transfer data with m2-tb3 adapter (40Gbps) to pc?
Probably it will need (if exist) y splitter female to two male cable (one for dcdc psu using pd and one for data)

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
Last edited:
Reactions: NinoPecorino

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I'm gonna continue to watch this thread now that GPUs are dropping back to reasonable prices. The LP Delta idea is not dead yet! There's a demonstration video on it running Doom with a 1650 for eGPU.

Power setup will differ. No TB to m.2 adapter will be necessary here, as the Delta has an extra m.2 available to use. But it's also picky with the m.2 adapters that would work with a eGPU extension.

Its Celeron processor will remain a bottleneck, but even a WX 3200 card would show a good improvement in graphics over the integrated HD stuff.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
I'm gonna continue to watch this thread now that GPUs are dropping back to reasonable prices. The LP Delta idea is not dead yet! There's a demonstration video on it running Doom with a 1650 for eGPU.

Power setup will differ. No TB to m.2 adapter will be necessary here, as the Delta has an extra m.2 available to use. But it's also picky with the m.2 adapters that would work with a eGPU extension.

Its Celeron processor will remain a bottleneck, but even a WX 3200 card would show a good improvement in graphics over the integrated HD stuff.
That's really cool, perfect form factor. You have great ideas of how to go smaller. Superior to Mainboard or NUC in the areas of the positioning and quantity of the m.2, and size. Wish they made something like that with a little more beefy processor (Like 1210U, 2x "P" Cores ~ 9w, 29w max). I guess stepping up TDP from that would be in NUC territory though. It doesn't look like Intel has updated that processor class at all used in the LP Delta.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
That's really cool, perfect form factor. You have great ideas of how to go smaller. Superior to Mainboard or NUC in the areas of the positioning and quantity of the m.2, and size. Wish they made something like that with a little more beefy processor (Like 1210U, 2x "P" Cores ~ 9w, 29w max). I guess stepping up TDP from that would be in NUC territory though. It doesn't look like Intel has updated that processor class at all used in the LP Delta.

A successor to the LP Delta has already been in the works, containing a Jasper Lake processor. It should be almost twice as fast and a better iGPU than the Delta I have. Still not as recent as the Alder Lake CPUs though. I agree, something like the 1210U in this form factor would be sweet, especially now with the crop of small x86 handhelds set to launch later this year from various companies.

For example, AYN has the newer Loki Mini line where some use Alder Lake U for a processor and integrated graphics. But it won't work to externally dock with an eGPU since it only has a m.2 2230 slot.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
For example, AYN has the newer Loki Mini line where some use Alder Lake U for a processor and integrated graphics. But it won't work to externally dock with an eGPU since it only has a m.2 2230 slot.

On ADT link's 2280 risers they have the hole pattern and a painted line for fitting the riser in shorter m.2 sockets. It appears that, with a knife or dremel, you could cut the riser at this line and be able to fit it into a shorter m.2 slot, assuming it was an NVME slot. I haven't tried it, but maybe this means it's possible to use their x16 gpu risers in a shorter m.2 socket like a 2242. They also sell ones which look to natively fit 2242.

Although a 2230 would still be too small like you said.

Possibly could 3d print a little adapter to hold the 2242 riser in place if there is physical space.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
that's the one - it´s pretty simple to wire up: the 4PIN is for 19V DC IN and the 8PIN is 12V DC OUT which you can connect to the riser and (if needed to your GPU).

for my project I de-soldered the connectors and soldered the wires directly onto the PCB to safe some space.

yes, I have also tried it with my 3060Ti - it works but for long term I would probably only use it with a 150~160W max TBP GPU cause it gets really toasty if you pull 200W continuously...

Hey @REVOCCASES, do you happen to know what this 1 jumper wire is for on the Pico box?

Thanks in advance. It just came from taobao in empty box 😅

Last edited:

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
it's a PSon trigger but somehow I didn't get it to work properly. I'm just keeping it ON all the time and no issues so far (except maybe higher standby power consumption) ;)

Reactions: msystems

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
A successor to the LP Delta has already been in the works, containing a Jasper Lake processor. It should be almost twice as fast and a better iGPU than the Delta I have. Still not as recent as the Alder Lake CPUs though. I agree, something like the 1210U in this form factor would be sweet, especially now with the crop of small x86 handhelds set to launch later this year from various companies.

Length of the M.2 slot is largely irrelevant, it's only the keying / signalling that matters.

M.2 with M key or M+B key is available in 2230/42/60/80/110, and may optionally allow NVMe/SATA/PCIe via PCIe 1.1/2.0/3.0/4.0 at x1/x2/x4 lanes depending on the design of the board. Steam Deck and others use 2230 with PCIe4.0x4 SSDs :)

::EDIT:: And yes, many of the risers have a 2280 PCB for the M.2 slot, but can be cut down to 2242/2260 if required.

M.2 A+E key is generally 2230 only, and typically for WiFi/BT/modem cards, these will only have PCIe x1 and USB connection.

Reactions: msystems

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Don't know where else to post it, but seeing as it's most relevant to eGpu: today I tested the Picobox dcdc200 used on this eGpu up to 180w (on sensor) for my own GPU module and it gets a little warm but performs well,, maybe needs a little airflow to maintain the performance.

Cool and very useful for Gpu, since it is so small and only converts 12v. An HDplex 400w dcdc is about 4 to 6 times larger than this unit. Great discovery Revoccases!

Downside was the EPS12v output connector. So when creating the wiring harness for the GPU it gave me one extra +12v pin (unused for PCIe 8pin), and was missing one GND pin. So the extra +12v pin I used for my Riser +12v, and consolidated six total GND/sense wires to four.

Also, finally figured out what this module was originally produced for, it was never intended as a stand alone unit but is an expansion module for the PicoBox X300 DC-ATX in order to bring it's capacity up from 300w to 500w.

You can add the 200dcdc and plug in that jumper on the ATX harness where it will receive the PS_ON.

Last edited:

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
When you guys mention the PicoBox 200W - what's the model number?

I can only find the X1-ATX-200 on their website:

Or is this a product not listed on their site because (as you mentioned) it's intended to expand the 300W model.

::EDIT:: Never mind, looks like it's not on PicoBox site and it actually is called the DCDC200 on the PCB... plentiful on TaoBao/AliExpress (even linked above.. jeepers I need to read.)

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
When you guys mention the PicoBox 200W - what's the model number?

I can only find the X1-ATX-200 on their website:

Or is this a product not listed on their site because (as you mentioned) it's intended to expand the 300W model.

::EDIT:: Never mind, looks like it's not on PicoBox site and it actually is called the DCDC200 on the PCB... plentiful on TaoBao/AliExpress (even linked above.. jeepers I need to read.)
I think maybe it is an older model since its not on the website. I have no idea if it's "old stock", or still being made but not advertised.

Although it's super tiny, it makes me nervous since I got it in a cardboard box and can't find any official documentation. Pico box seems to be putting out more clean looking (and higher quality? ) dc boards recently. Perhaps retiring the older ones like this

Last edited:

Supporters

What's an ITX?
New User
Oct 15, 2022
I was thinking about some new project for my low profile single slot YESTON GTX 1650 and came up with the idea to make another DIY Thunderbolt eGPU enclosure for it.

parts used for this build:
While my last eGPU came with an internal AC-DC PSU I chose to go for an external solution this time. Since I'll be using it with my Notebook - which requires an 19.5V power brick anyways - I thought this might be overall smaller in total volume and would give me some additional flexibility. With an Y splitter cable I could run the Notebook & eGPU via the same 230W GaN adapter, use a small 120W PD adapter or maybe it would even work with a powerful power bank / battery pack...

laser cutting & bending drawings for the case attached to this post...
Hi, I'm new to this. Can you help to share soldered diagram for the DcDc200, power switch and power supply cable? Thank you

antoniopop123

Efficiency Noob
Jun 21, 2021
that's the one - it´s pretty simple to wire up: the 4PIN is for 19V DC IN and the 8PIN is 12V DC OUT which you can connect to the riser and (if needed to your GPU).

for my project I de-soldered the connectors and soldered the wires directly onto the PCB to safe some space.

yes, I have also tried it with my 3060Ti - it works but for long term I would probably only use it with a 150~160W max TBP GPU cause it gets really toasty if you pull 200W continuously...
Would two work in parallel? splitting the current would mean a lot less heat...

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Would two work in parallel? splitting the current would mean a lot less heat...

I don't know if it would work to parallel them, but you could at least get a bit more power by using one to power the slot and another to power the 8-pin.

My understanding is the GPU is supposed isolate the voltage on the x16 slot from the voltage on the external power connectors, and that this is part of the PCI electromechanical specification somewhere. Meaning you can use two separate PSUs to power a gpu (one for x16 slot, one for 6/8pin) but you can never use two different PSUs to power separate 6/8-pin inputs. I have done this to my 3060ti in many various ways and not had an issue yet, but I wouldn't exactly call it safe for sure.

antoniopop123

Efficiency Noob
Jun 21, 2021
I don't know if it would work to parallel them, but you could at least get a bit more power by using one to power the slot and another to power the 8-pin.

My understanding is the GPU is supposed isolate the voltage on the x16 slot from the voltage on the external power connectors, and that this is part of the PCI electromechanical specification somewhere. Meaning you can use two separate PSUs to power a gpu (one for x16 slot, one for 6/8pin) but you can never use two different PSUs to power separate 6/8-pin inputs. I have done this to my 3060ti in many various ways and not had an issue yet.
I mean splitting power from a single source strictly for the 6/8 pin pcie. I actually am not interested in the egpu but rather powering a 3060 ti from a 19V source

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
So what I mean is you can use one of these to power the riser and the second to power the 8 pin which will mean the max load on the one connected to the 8-pin will only be 150 watts, instead of 200 watts. (Not paralleling their outputs, because I don't know if that would be safe)

I mean splitting power from a single source strictly for the 6/8 pin pcie.
I've done that and not had an issue and confirmed with a few other people that have not had issues.
This is what happens when you use 2x HDplex Gan with one for the CPU & one for the GPU. There is no load balancing going on within the HDplex

antoniopop123

Efficiency Noob
Jun 21, 2021
So what I mean is you can use one of these to power the riser and the second to power the 8 pin which will mean the max load on the one connected to the 8-pin will only be 150 watts, instead of 200 watts. (Not paralleling their outputs, because I don't know if that would be safe)
Gotcha, will have to inquire further

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
I edited my post but I think I understand what you are trying and it does work in other scenarios (ITX with one psu for board + 2nd psu for card 8pins)