Log "Catamaran" - a DIY passive eGpu enclosure for m.2

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Current status 6-5-22 - Completed

Original Post
---------------------------------------------------------------------

For fun I have been thinking about how to re-use the passive GTX1080 in my FC5 build as an eGpu.

This particular GTX 1080 can't be reverted back to stock cooler, due to... reasons. So the challenge is how to redesign the existing passive elements into a smaller and lighter eGpu enclosure without spending crazy money on CNC.

Original build.

The heatsinks on the sides of the FC5 can actually come off - and they have some nicely tapped m3 threads on a few sides, and lots of through holes.

The other parts of the case are maybe better off left out. The front is just dead weight. The heat-conducting bottom + lid just seem to cook the hell out of the components anyway.

So I am thinking to just keep the two heatsinks, discard everything else, and then miniaturize it to 160mm internal width. No CNC cutting needed!

Front/Top. Not fully drawn but there would be 8 heatpipes total - 4 to each side.

Rear/Bottom. The case feet can be re-used.

External dimensions - 319mm x 220mm x 60mm

There is room for up to four Nf-A4x20 in front. A slim 92mm horizontally could work too.

The host system could be placed horizontally or vertically on top. Power delivery most likely will be from a HDplex dc-atx but I want to keep that part modular in case I decide to change power design. So it is not pictured.

I'm thinking it sort of looks like a Catamaran with just two fans and the center left open, with space on the underside.

Last edited:

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Joining the frame together is done, starting getting into the attachment design for the card and considering which kind of fans to leave room for. This card has no backplate, so all of the securing holes are available as attachment points for 3d parts.

If the card is put at a slight angle, it makes a nice gap for the HDplex unit in the rear, and more airflow space between the card and the host system as well.

Front/Top

Rear/Bottom

The rear PCI bracket will have to be removed and the DVI port pins trimmed down 1 slot thickness, but it will look much cleaner after doing that.

Last edited:
Reactions: SFFMunkee and BaK

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017

Underside view,, Test layout of heatpipe arrangement, 8x "L" shaped pipes. 2 major bends to make and a few minor ones. I think it will work, so can go ahead and attach the card to the frame next.

I have some 200 & 350mm pipes, so instead of "L" shaped heatpipes I could also do "C Shapes" that touch both sides. But I don't know how that would perform. Also possible is 6 pipe arrangement with 2x "C" shape and 4x "L" shape.

Last edited:

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Basic attachment system complete

The GPU is not secured laterally and can slide around. This unintentionally was the solution to get the 8-pin connector to fit & then to slide the opposite way for the riser to be installed. When the center block is secured, the clamping force on the heatpipes doesn't permit it to slide anymore though.

Bottom

Test results:

Passive power handling: 125w @75c
ΔT (tDie, tCase): 9c

Hybrid power handling (case fan under VRM area, on GPU fan header)
With A9x14: 160w
With P14r redux: 180w+

My afterburner profiles got overwritten, but I think it only needs to handle 115w (800mv) for the optimized stock speed profile. Pretty much any fan should be enough, so it's a choice of what looks best

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: morj and Arboreal

msystems

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Apr 28, 2017
Yikes, going from a quick and dirty "proof of concept" to a functional build is really quite time consuming!

Because trying to make this eGpu scheme work with the stock case would just be painful, I took a detour on this project and ended up designing an entire new case for the x300 which I am calling the DeskNano (still a work in progress... but functional enough for the eGpu).

On the eGpu though, I first desoldered the 1080's DVI port so the x300 could sit flush (thanks @jØrd for the tips!), and designed and created the attachment system for the HDPlex and anti-Vandal switch, mounted in front, which also cover up the ends of those protruding heatpipes in the previous post.

The GPU fan is a Scythe Kaze 120x15mm just to provide some airflow for the VRM and memory.

Because the passive case gets quite hot, I used a 90 degree articulated mount on the eGpu chassis, so the x300 can rotate up and "deploy" for better thermals when in use. This increases the distance between the CPU and GPU and helps the thermals of both.

The 120mm Kaze fan can rotate into the former location of the x300 when deployed to keep the VRM and memory cooled.

There is still some a bit of cable management left to do, but I might not get around to it. Too many other projects!

Last edited:

vite

What's an ITX?
New User
Jun 8, 2022
Chào các bạn,
Bạn có thể chia sẻ thiết kế này với tôi?
tôi rất thích và muốn xây dựng nó
Tks u!