Log RCC-eGPU2 | a tiny portable 0.6L Thunderbolt GTX 1650 eGPU

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
I was thinking about some new project for my low profile single slot YESTON GTX 1650 and came up with the idea to make another DIY Thunderbolt eGPU enclosure for it.

parts used for this build:
While my last eGPU came with an internal AC-DC PSU I chose to go for an external solution this time. Since I'll be using it with my Notebook - which requires an 19.5V power brick anyways - I thought this might be overall smaller in total volume and would give me some additional flexibility. With an Y splitter cable I could run the Notebook & eGPU via the same 230W GaN adapter, use a small 120W PD adapter or maybe it would even work with a powerful power bank / battery pack...

laser cutting & bending drawings for the case attached to this post...

Attachments

• RCC-mini-eGPU.zip
    54.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Very very clean. I notice that you are using an even slimmer and minimal pcie riser than the widely used R43SG.

So this makes me wonder, is there any other voltage besides 12v being needed here? Because I do not see any 24 pin here, like on R43SG.

Because I assume you could use this slimmer riser on much more powerful card, as long as you power 12v to 8-pin connector(s) to the GPU in another way?
This riser is considerably cheaper than R43SG.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Very very clean. I notice that you are using an even slimmer and minimal pcie riser than the widely used R43SG.

So this makes me wonder, is there any other voltage besides 12v being needed here? Because I do not see any 24 pin here, like on R43SG.

Because I assume you could use this slimmer riser on much more powerful card, as long as you power 12v to 8-pin connector(s) to the GPU in another way?
I'd be cautious about high power cards if using different supply for the slot vs the PCIe connectors.

While technically the PCIe specification requires PEG cards to treat every 12V source as independent, in reality it's not always implemented properly so could introduce risk of frying your expensive GPU.

I wonder how much more TB3's PCIe3.0 x4 would impact higher-end GPUs, in particular those that typically have PCIe4.0 x8 or x16. IIRC the native PCIe4.0x4 had an impact on the low-end 6500XT's performance but I don't know which other contributing factors are involved.

Reactions: msystems

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com

The R43SG is designed to work "out of the box" with DELL DA2 and ATX Power Supplies and therefore has a controller on board which automatically switches ON and OFF the PSU (power to the GPU) together with your PC. If you do not need this feature you can simply use a cheap riser like me and connect 12VDC (should meet ATX specs) to the GPU as well as to the riser. No other voltages are needed and it doesn't matter how powerful your GPU is.

However, going this route might require some workarounds to switch GPU power ON/OFF because some (not all) graphic cards may act weird (e.g. the fan going haywire) if they keep getting 12V when your PC is actually switched off. If you run into this so called "always ON" issue with your specific GPU you need to find a way to switch off the PSU for the GPU manually or for example use a load switch.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
That’s a nice little dock. Looking at the orientation of the m.2 to PCIe riser cable, looks like my Lattepanda Delta would fit in there no problem. And since that takes 12V directly, no need for me to use the step down converter!

Reactions: REVOCCASES

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
sorry off topic, but where can i buy the YESTON GTX 1650 D6? I can't seem to find it online anywhere
It was previously on TMall (TaoBao) or you might get lucky on JD but I haven't seen it anywhere in some time (at a reasonable price, anyway). ::EDIT:: I can't even find that particular SKU anymore at all.

You have better luck finding a low-profile RX6400 (single-slot low-profile), which rivals the 1650 (D5) and gets close to the 1650 (D6) in performance IIRC

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
For low profile dual slot cards are there anything better than the GTX 1650 from MSI/Zotac?
Currently the highest performing low profile (half-height) graphics cards are-

SINGLE SLOT
Ultra-premium:
RTX A2000 with REVOCCASES single-slot mod

Budget:
RX6400 4GB GDDR6 (PowerColor, Sapphire, VastArmor, XFX, Yeston)
GTX1650 GDDR6 (Yeston) --> hard-to-impossible to find now
GTX1650 GDDR5 (ASL) --> hard-to-impossible to find now

DUAL SLOT
Premium

RTX A2000 6GB/12GB GDDR6

Budget
GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6 (Galax, Gigabyte, Leadtek, MSI, Zotac)
RX6400 4GB GDDR6 (Gigabyte)

Last edited:
Reactions: REVOCCASES

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
This is the dc-atx, I think.

I'm wondering how it would do with a bigger GPU that has an 8pin too. But I think you'd have use 8pin Y-splitter, and splice one side to the 2-pin JST for the riser.

@REVOCCASES have you tried to use this with a stronger card which needed to split this output to riser + 8pin for card?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
that's the one - it´s pretty simple to wire up: the 4PIN is for 19V DC IN and the 8PIN is 12V DC OUT which you can connect to the riser and (if needed to your GPU).

for my project I de-soldered the connectors and soldered the wires directly onto the PCB to safe some space.

have you tried to use this with a stronger card which needed to split this output to riser + 8pin for card?

yes, I have also tried it with my 3060Ti - it works but for long term I would probably only use it with a 150~160W max TBP GPU cause it gets really toasty if you pull 200W continuously...

Reactions: msystems