Rumor Possibility of AMD on STX form factor

There are so many frieds discussed about AMD solution on STX form factor.
I told Crew ASRock had one AMD FM2+ 5x5 board....
Let me show off one board I found on my boss's table.

We did a very very quick research during CNY.
AMD 2200G box fan is so high that can't be installed into our chassis.
BUT... how about install CPU fan and heatsink separately? HAHAHA...

Only for fun :D

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I see nothing wrong with this puppy and a 2200g for now. I would want to pull the mobo and put it into a different case and go brickless.

Ideas for a watercooled version that is just at 4.5 liters (counting the volume the 10mm feet add to the bounding box) with 160 watt internal AC-DC power brick......

We need to crowdsource a custom order with onboard DC header for HDPlex 160W AC-DC compatibility IMO.

My immediate thoughts when seeing the motherboard, "Pull the D-sub port & replace the DC barrel with an upward facing (meaning, internal) 4-pin for a HDPlex 160w AC-DC unit"...

Am I the only one who prefer the brick outside of the chassis ? :D

For me, SFF means no more than 20 liters total bounding box volume & no external power brick...

REAL SFF is a max 10 liter bounding box & no external power brick... ;^p

The brick mentioned in one of the articles is only 45w, which would be good enough for a 35w cpu. Only reason I'd get this mobo is if I could pair it with the rumored 3600G.

That must have been an error on TomsHardware's part because in their own pictures that brick is much too big to be a 45w brick, it's almost certainly 120w

Yes, I believe it has been corrected to show a 120 watt brick...

RDP limited to 65w though
I realized that yesterday, as the rumoured 3600g is 95w....
If we can downclock the chip in a low power mode it will be great but otherwise we are constrained...

When the more power hungry APUs are released, I would expect an updated version of this product...

I would love to see a x300 version where they just scrap the vga port, stack the other display outputs and add a stronger VRM. Something in the 4+3 range with 60-70A power stages...
An internal power header would also be nice.

Yes, something with more OC ability would be a logical step when the new Ryzen 3k series APUs drop...

I cannot even get my hands on this product yet, but I already want a better version...!

I could see the Ryzen 5 3600G (8c/16t, 20CU Navi) being an APU powerhouse...

I either read somewhere or watched a video somewhere with claims that the mid-range Navi GPUs that are being rumored about have 40 or 44 CUs in the RX 3080, so I would suspect that the 20CU Navi APU of being equal to the low end 75w Navi card...?

Which would be pretty damned good for an APU...

Now, this is using SO-DIMM slots, so one should be able to load up 32GB sticks for a total of 64GB DDR4 RAM...

And since there is no PCIe slot, the two M.2 SSD slots should be able to run NVMe SSDs straight to the CPU (and possibly as a RAID)...?

To close, @ASRock System , when you folks DO upgrade this (as outlined above) for the Ryzen 3k series of APUs, please make it the APU Enthusiast version, and sell the motherboard as a standalone SKU, please...!

If there is a way to enable an even higher allotment of system RAM to the GPU portion of the APU, please allow the option to bump it up to 8GB...

Oh, and please include three 4-pin PWM headers; CPU Fan Header, Water Pump Header, Chassis Fan Header...

Last edited:

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Just realized that A300 is a locked chipset. Pretty much ruins the fun on this board : (

Really hope they release this on a much better chipset (B450 please <3)

Or a x300 version would work as well, and I believe the A300 & X300 "chipsets" are not actual separate chipsets, but part of the Ryzen CPU / APU itself...?

Well, A300 is just what the CPU itself has available. I mean, all Ryzen CPUs are essentially SoCs (and I really cannot see anywhere a chipset could go on the board, even the underside looks like it doesn't have enough space). I do think it's an issue of just being unable to fit the chipset anywhere?

Yeah, I am not seeing an actual physical chipset anywhere on the board...

Seen a lot of talk of using the hdplex AC-DC psu with this board, how are folks planning to do that?
I had similar plans originally (along with a large passive extruded heat sink case like someone else mentioned) but I can't see a 4 pin 12v connection that the psu requires or is there a way to convert to a 19v barrel jack to thread out of the case into the back of the board?

I can get 6 pin to barrel connector cables made quite easily in bulk via HDPlex. You'd simply run the adapter cable out the back and into the barrel connector header on the board.

Desolder the barrel connector & replace with an internal 4-pin for the HDPlex 160w AC-DC unit...?

I am now calling for ASRock to support the Enthusiast APU market...!!!

X300 based motherboard (so we can OC everything)...
Ditch the VGA port
Replace external DC barrel connector with internal 4-pin connector
Maybe up the power phases to allow for 95 watt APUs (and the additional power needed when overclocking)...
The Ryzen 5 2400G itself has support for 64GB of RAM, ensure support for 32GB SO-DIMMs for 64GB of RAM in this thing...!
Make it possible to make a RAID array (I would go mirrored) from the two M.2 NVMe SSDs, then do a striped array for the two 2.5" SSDs
Add Thunderbolt 3 to the back i/o
Add USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C (aka USB-C) to the back i/o
Add audio to the back i/o
Remove all front i/o

SELL THE (theoretical) X300M-STX MOTHERBOARD AS A STAND-ALONE PRODUCT...!!!

Reactions: Jello

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I really, Really, REALLY hope ASRock will come out with a stand-alone X300 based Mini STX motherboard...!

I have plans for a custom loop water cooled version that would be just over 5 liters if you include the bounding box area of the 10mm tall feet...

I will have to start a thread when I have the CAD work done & some renders to look at...?

This will work fine with the current A300 based board, but a X300 board would allow one to OC everything & make the water cooling worthwhile...

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Or a x300 version would work as well, and I believe the A300 & X300 "chipsets" are not actual separate chipsets, but part of the Ryzen CPU / APU itself...?

Yeah, I am not seeing an actual physical chipset anywhere on the board...

Desolder the barrel connector & replace with an internal 4-pin for the HDPlex 160w AC-DC unit...?

I am now calling for ASRock to support the Enthusiast APU market...!!!

X300 based motherboard (so we can OC everything)...
Ditch the VGA port
Replace external DC barrel connector with internal 4-pin connector
Maybe up the power phases to allow for 95 watt APUs (and the additional power needed when overclocking)...
The Ryzen 5 2400G itself has support for 64GB of RAM, ensure support for 32GB SO-DIMMs for 64GB of RAM in this thing...!
Make it possible to make a RAID array (I would go mirrored) from the two M.2 NVMe SSDs, then do a striped array for the two 2.5" SSDs
Add Thunderbolt 3 to the back i/o
Add USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C (aka USB-C) to the back i/o
Add audio to the back i/o
Remove all front i/o

SELL THE (theoretical) X300M-STX MOTHERBOARD AS A STAND-ALONE PRODUCT...!!!

I Disagree with removal of the front IO. It helps make in unique, and if it's not visible or useable in your use case, what does it hurt. I've always liked internal USB headers, you could connect a little LCD easily.

I have a bit to add.
We need a TPM header.
Make the IO comply with thin-itx spec at least.
And make a PCIE x4 slot. open-backed, preferably.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
Yeah... it would be nice to have, but we can get away with an m.2 to PCIe adapter right? Would that be PCIe x4? Just have to sacrifice one of the two m.2 slots for science.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Yeah... it would be nice to have, but we can get away with an m.2 to PCIe adapter right? Would that be PCIe x4? Just have to sacrifice one of the two m.2 slots for science.

Or.... They could just put 4 m.2 slots on the back.... :thinking:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I think we need a custom M.2 adapter that makes a micro STX board function as a small PIO (ie. 90 degrees reflected and positioned to line up GPU IO with Motherboard IO.

Reactions: br3nd0

Aki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 9, 2016
I don't think the pcie configutation of Ryzen would allow more than two (three if you use the pcie lanes for io for the gpu) m.2 x4 slots. Ryzen has 24 lanes and is able to split them into 8x 8x 4x 4x (not sure about the last x4, that usually connects to a chipset) and that you "need" a x/a300 chipset. When using a apu and a x/a300 8 are taken for the GPU, 4 (those that were used for a chipset) are most likely used for io, that leaves a 8x and a 4x slot for the rest. So two 4x m.2 slots are most likely the max.

Edit: With Ryzen I mean mainstream Ryzen. Threadripper can split a 16x slot into four 4x slots, but I've never seen that done on mainstream so just doubt that it's possible. Would love for someone to prove me wrong.

Last edited:

jujudk

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2017
The stx form factor is still young
They could fit a pcie x16 slot on a side (they did that with a mini itx board i i believe)
Anyway

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
The stx form factor is still young
They could fit a pcie x16 slot on a side (they did that with a mini itx board i i believe)
Anyway

That would totally defeat the purpose of a Mini STX motherboard, which is for APUs...

And I do not think the power situation for the Mini STX motherboard is meant for an included discrete GPU...

You want a discrete GPU, move up to the Micro STX platform, but your GPU will be in MXM format...

You want a full-size GPU, then you are back to the Mini ITX platform...

So please, leave the Mini STX platform to the APUs...!

Last edited:
Reactions: Therandomness

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
That would totally defeat the purpose of a Mini STX motherboard, which is for APUs...

And I do not think the power situation for the Mini STX motherboard is meant for an included discrete SPU...

You want a full-size GPU, then you are back to the Mini ITX platform...
Sorry :D I'd like to use STX how I see fit. Using full size GPUs with STX has been done before (STX160.0) and the power issue is solved with a powered m.2 to PCIe riser.

Why not both? APUs or discrete GPUs :D

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Sorry :D I'd like to use STX how I see fit. Using full size GPUs with STX has been done before (STX160.0) and the power issue is solved with a powered m.2 to PCIe riser.

Why not both? APUs or discrete GPUs :D

Because we have that with the Micro STX & the Mini ITX platforms...

Not saying one cannot use as one sees fit, just saying do not force a PCIe slot onto the Mini STX motherboard, which it was never designed for...

If a board manufacturer added in options to meet the demand of every user, the Mini STX board might end up an ATX board...!

Last edited:
Reactions: NateDawg72

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
just saying do not force a PCIe slot onto the Mini STX motherboard, which it was never designed for...
I agree with you, those who want expansion cards like me can just use the M.2 slots that are already nicely fit on the board :) full size PCIe is too big and I don't see full size PCIe x4 as offering much over M.2 on a board like this

Reactions: Boil