Stalled [Pictures of Prototype] Densium APU, 3L, HDPLEX 250, 47mm cooler, Hardwood frontpanel

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
as I've decided to increase the size of the case, in return of Flex-ATX PSU and taller CPU coolers.
what is the new CPU cooler clearance now that the case is larger? IMO 70mm for a Noctua L12S / Big Shuriken 3 would be great. LP GPU theoretically sounds good but in reality not so much. So APU build is what I'm considering for this case!

EDIT: Found A2000 for cheap locally so screw it 🤣

Last edited:

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
October 26th 2022 Update

Haven't updated you in a while, because I've been busy re-designing, making renders and a webpage! It's now available for Pre-order! I've now added some updated pictures to this thread, but there are tons more on the product page. I've also updated the AR link at the top of the thread!

Regarding the features discussed here on the website - I just went ahead and added everything, lol. The case now got Flex-ATX support, HDplex 250 support, 67mm cooler support, LP PCIe support (hdplex PSU only).

Some additional features are: Magnetically attached frontpanel, ventilated back-panel and the beloved USB-C!

Prototype is being manufactured now, but this will be the final iteration - no major changes beyond this point. I'll make 50 units first, unless it sells unexpectedly well, so the production time will be short.

When the prototype arrives I'll firstly validate the design (in all configurations) and test the tolerances ETC.
After validation, I'll take some photographs and more importantly: make an assembly video.
The 67mm CPU cooler support means we'll fit an ID-Cooling IS-55, but with a full thickness fan (25mm), and this is what I'll be using during the assembly!

Also I'll be sourcing an 1-slot LP RX6400 which I'll also be looking to fit inside!

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Looking good! Am I right in assuming that the HDPlex allows the motherboard to be mounted a bit lower, opening up space for a single slot pcie card?

EDIT: should've looked on your website, very clearly explained there. Very nice solution to maximise compatibility!

Last edited:

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
The case now got Flex-ATX support, HDplex 250 support, 67mm cooler support, LP PCIe support (hdplex PSU only).
Instant buy! Thanks for the free global shipping as well!

Now is the headache - Lone L5 vs. Densium 😅
  • L5 can support RTX A2000 stock but is slightly bigger and needs a brick
  • Densium uses HDPlex GAN and smaller, but I'll have to find a way to make A2000 into single slot

Bakaban

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 13, 2020

• Densium uses HDPlex GAN and smaller, but I'll have to find a way to make A2000 into single slot
Someone in this forum made a thread with selfmilled copper heatsinks for making his a2000 single slot. Believe he was selling them as well

Reactions: thelaughingman

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016

Using a 90 degree riser, perhaps you can stack a dual slot LP gpu and the hdplex at the top of the case if you mount the motherboard as low as possible?

Reactions: BaK

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Using a 90 degree riser, perhaps you can stack a dual slot LP gpu and the hdplex at the top of the case if you mount the motherboard as low as possible?
my preference is to avoid all the risers in the world 😅

@Densium.net from the product page "[The case also has 11mm of clearance for backplates]" => is it possible to use shorter standoffs to reduce that clearance to 8mm and increase cooler height clearance to 70mm? Would love to keep using the Big Shuriken 3, it is an awesome cooler

Reactions: Densium.net

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
my preference is to avoid all the risers in the world 😅

@Densium.net from the product page "[The case also has 11mm of clearance for backplates]" => is it possible to use shorter standoffs to reduce that clearance to 8mm and increase cooler height clearance to 70mm? Would love to keep using the Big Shuriken 3, it is an awesome cooler
Yes you could potentially do this, but you wouldnt fit the IO-shield properly

Reactions: thelaughingman

Exist50

Trash Compacter
Feb 25, 2021
I think this ended up being a good compromise between all the different asks. It's bigger, yes, but that was necessary for flexATX support anyway, and I like how half height card support was added in with minimal overhead. That should be handy to cover some uses not quite handled by integrated GPUs or motherboard IO.

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
ah understand. I'll get the Rev. B or AXP120-67 then, they are both exact 67mm. thanks!
The ID-Cooling IS-55 have been performing very well on benchmarks despite its height. You could then fit a 25mm fan and squeeze even more performance out if it.

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
I think this ended up being a good compromise between all the different asks. It's bigger, yes, but that was necessary for flexATX support anyway, and I like how half height card support was added in with minimal overhead. That should be handy to cover some uses not quite handled by integrated GPUs or motherboard IO.
Also think the 1 slot card is great for people who want to use an old CPU without iGPU to build a home server or media PC. Could just purchase a gt1030 for dirt-cheap

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
Also think the 1 slot card is great for people who want to use an old CPU without iGPU to build a home server or media PC. Could just purchase a gt1030 for dirt-cheap
I think you're out of touch with how much money said people have to work with !!!
$160 case +taxes and shipping + additional PSU cost is not on their radar......
This is an enthusiast class product, nobody buying it will be putting an old CPU or GTX 1030 in it lol.
That market is entirely different and certainly not at this price point !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Densium.net

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
I think you're out of touch with how much money said people have to work with !!!
$160 case +taxes and shipping + additional PSU cost is not on their radar......
This is an enthusiast class product, nobody buying it will be putting an old CPU or GTX 1030 in it lol.
That market is entirely different and certainly not at this price point !!!
My point is that I was trying to make the case as versatile as possible.

Reactions: steelfractal

steelfractal

when in doubt slap a delta on it
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Aug 15, 2019
when fitted with the GaN will you be able to place some slim fans where the 1-slot PCI-E card goes and what size fans fit