Production ONE2 DISTRO 400 - A 12V Power distribution board

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Seeing that, how high have you pushed it past 400W?

And you know, if you need somebody who is willing to burn their house down, for a max load test, I might when I order mine!

Edit: I'll actually probably get two. XD

I do not own components to push it up to that much unfortunately.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Please don't idolize me. I'm not worthy.

I just enjoy destruction. Bonus if it benefits others.

XD
Well, if that's your attitude, please invest in a high-speed camera. That will make all our lives much better :D

Edit: and safety equipment. Maybe. I guess.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Any thoughts on putting one of these+Meanwell 400w in a mini sandwich style case like the K39 or ZS-A4M? Typically those take FlexATX PSUs, so there should be room.

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 22, 2017
I have a K39 V2.0 on order with exact intention of doing that.
I've also ordered one of the new Meanwell 500w, it claims to run 320w passive which is more than enough for what I intend to use with it.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I've also ordered one of the new Meanwell 500w, it claims to run 320w passive which is more than enough for what I intend to use with it.

Be careful, the 500W is a bit taller than regular 400W.

The K39 has a pretty exact restriction on the psu.

You'd need enough space for this to work. You may have enough space under the gpu.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
oh nice, make sure to @ me when you post a build. What's different in the K39 "2.0"?

@Thehack nice catch that the 500w is taller, I see the open frame version is exactly 40mm, which is what a FlexATX PSU is. Doesn't make things look good for the version with a cage.

EDIT: actually the drawings say 43mm tall without the cage... damn

Last edited:

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
@Thehack So I'm planning on building a new home server some time later this year, and seeing the SuperMicro build here in this thread, this might work perfect for a tiny Xeon D build. I have a 220W Dell DA-2 sitting around from an old ExpressCard eGPU build, and I just wanted to confirm that I could use that directly as a power input into the 8pin connector on the Distro400? I would just need that, no PCDB required, and I could power the motherboard as well as some drives, yes?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
@Thehack So I'm planning on building a new home server some time later this year, and seeing the SuperMicro build here in this thread, this might work perfect for a tiny Xeon D build. I have a 220W Dell DA-2 sitting around from an old ExpressCard eGPU build, and I just wanted to confirm that I could use that directly as a power input into the 8pin connector on the Distro400? I would just need that, no PCDB required, and I could power the motherboard as well as some drives, yes?

The Distro 400 only outputs 12V. You will need 5v for SATA drives, which the PDCB provides.

How many drives do you need? And does the motherboard not need 24 pin atx?

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
The Distro 400 only outputs 12V. You will need 5v for SATA drives, which the PDCB provides.

How many drives do you need? And does the motherboard not need 24 pin atx?

I'm looking at four 3.5" spinning drives + an m.2 for boot.

There are two boards that I'm looking at. This first one is very similar to the one posted earlier, it uses a 4-pin DC input or a 24-pin ATX:
Board Manual

The second is a newer board but they want an 8-pin ATX + 4pin sense that seems to adapt from the 24-pin?
Board Manual

I would prefer the second board but it looks much more complicated to get working. How does the PCDB board give 5V for the drives? What parts would I need to make these work?

Also here's an image of the Dell DA-2 with its pinout:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I'm looking at four 3.5" spinning drives + an m.2 for boot.

There are two boards that I'm looking at. This first one is very similar to the one posted earlier, it uses a 4-pin DC input or a 24-pin ATX:
Board Manual

The second is a newer board but they want an 8-pin ATX + 4pin sense that seems to adapt from the 24-pin?
Board Manual

I would prefer the second board but it looks much more complicated to get working. How does the PCDB board give 5V for the drives? What parts would I need to make these work?

Also here's an image of the Dell DA-2 with its pinout:

The plugin board has a 5v circuit, the Distro 400 does not. Unfortunately it is not designed from the ground up to support that much power for hard drives.

You actually don't need the Distro 400 at all. You can wire the dell psu straight to the board, with the proper wiring.

You will then need a 5v circuit too and maybe custom breakout board or custom wiring to power the hard drives.

On another note, what is the interest for a load balancer for 2 psu?