News NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Launching April 2019

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
Any news on if the GTX 1650 Super will have a 75W variant?
I would guess that Nvidia is going to position the 1650 Super in the same manner as it has done with the 1650, the 1050 ti, and the 1050: they all have their power usage capped at 75 watts. Nvidia appears to use the "xx50" series of cards to show what their GPU technology can do at (relatively) low power levels.

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
Hey, the Zotac card just received its first user review on Newegg. Nothing particularly new, other than that it seems to do a good job keeping cool even under stress:

Pros:

- Fastest low profile GPU on the market
- Runs GTA 5 at 1080p at high-very high w/ 2x MSAA at 60fps
- Refuses to exceed 70c, even when overclocked
- Only needs a 300w power supply
- The Zotac version has more video outputs than the MSI variant
- Solid build quality
Cons:

- Price-to-performance ratio. If you don't need low profile/low power consumption, get a RX 570 or used RX 580 for less $ as both perform better.
- Card is loud, particularly under heavy load. When playing a demanding game or at a demanding resolution you'll want noise-cancelling headphones.
Overall Review:

This card is a good fit in my small HTPC. It's paired alongside a Core i3-8100 and 8gb DDR4 3300mhz. Running a stable overclock of +200mhz core, + 800mhz memory for a boost of 7fps in GTA 5. There's no reason not to overclock as it doesn't raise the max temperature higher.

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
I would guess that Nvidia is going to position the 1650 Super in the same manner as it has done with the 1650, the 1050 ti, and the 1050: they all have their power usage capped at 75 watts. Nvidia appears to use the "xx50" series of cards to show what their GPU technology can do at (relatively) low power levels.

This is what I'm hoping for too and I'm holding out for a 1650 Super LP from ASUS...

Comrade

Caliper Novice
Oct 6, 2019
I wonder why didn't Nvidia released super 1650 together with non-super as they did with 1050/1050ti? LP is a niche markt, Asus, Msi and Zotac could just sell their LP cards for higher price..

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I wonder why didn't Nvidia released super 1650 together with non-super as they did with 1050/1050ti? LP is a niche markt, Asus, Msi and Zotac could just sell their LP cards for higher price..
Likely because that would have forced them to sell the 1650 for less than $150 - there are only so many price points you can squeeze into a certain range, after all. The new card is very likely to either push the old one down in price (especially given incoming competition from AMD) or retire it like the other Super cards did. Which of the two is likely down to just how much faster they can make the new card, and whether it's still 75W.

Comrade

Caliper Novice
Oct 6, 2019
The only reason I can mind is that nobody would buy non-super 1650s. There are not much non-ti 1050s on the second hand market, I suspect they didn't sell well and they learned lesson. I would'nt buy 1650 too if they sold a 'super' one.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
The only reason I can mind is that nobody would buy non-super 1650s. There are not much non-ti 1050s on the second hand market, I suspect they didn't sell well and they learned lesson. I would'nt buy 1650 too if they sold a 'super' one.
I guess that's a fair point, but they could also announce the 1650ti/1650super at the end of October (rumor) only to have it not available for 6 more months. I'm not waiting forever.

Reactions: Copernicus

Comrade

Caliper Novice
Oct 6, 2019
I need that zero RPM ASUS!
Thee card is available in NL since last week for €190, it won't take long for American customers.
Few observations: I played few demanding games (metro exodus, the witcher) and temp rised to 83 and fans 4000rpm. It's because of small and closed 7010sff case, nothing I can do, maybe drill some holes in side panel, but don't think it will help much, optiplex is not designed for use with powerful GPU's. The games run smooth and stable, yes, its little loud, but PC stands 2 meters away behind the TV and not annoying. I should try some multiplayer like BF to see if 240watt PSU is holding out...
Below the 2000rpm the card is quiet, in case with good airflow cooling results will also be better.

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
Thee card is available in NL since last week for €190, it won't take long for American customers.
Zotac delivered their product in quantity to Europe more than three months ago, and has yet to provide a single card to any US retailer... :(

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
For what it's worth, it appears that the German company ComputerUniverse ships internationally (including to the US), and they are selling the Asus card for €150 (about $165). Dunno what the shipping would cost, though.

Frung

Chassis Packer
Mar 1, 2018
Few observations: I played few demanding games (metro exodus, the witcher) and temp rised to 83 and fans 4000rpm. It's because of small and closed 7010sff case, nothing I can do, maybe drill some holes in side panel, but don't think it will help much, optiplex is not designed for use with powerful GPU's. The games run smooth and stable, yes, its little loud, but PC stands 2 meters away behind the TV and not annoying. I should try some multiplayer like BF to see if 240watt PSU is holding out...
Below the 2000rpm the card is quiet, in case with good airflow cooling results will also be better.

Try doing a custom fan/temp curve in msi afterburner or asus software, put vents on 50% max till 80C, and take the power limit down to minimum. Then try some intensive stuff and monitor temperatures and fan noise. You can also limit the max boost with the freq/temp curve. You should be able to find an optimum setting where you would be happy with the fan noise with a compromise of a few hundred max boost MHz down, which doesn't scale performance down much, 5% total in all I'd guess.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Thanks for the link, it's 33.4 Euro shipping and they charge a small premium for credit card (instead of bank transfer) comes to about 188 euro, so slightly over my $200 budget. Will keep my eye open for a few more weeks but this is a good option.

CottonTexas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 14, 2019
I suspect that the Ti (or "Super") will likely be released at the end of the month, but who knows how long before that becomes a low-profile card, and/or will it even get state-side by Christmas? Would have loved to get an ASUS card, but when NewEgg finally listed Zotacs in stock at $175, I had to get it while the getting was good. Thank you to everyone that contributed to this thread, you have all made me a little more poor in the wallet :) Cheers, Cotton

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
when NewEgg finally listed Zotacs in stock at $175, I had to get it while the getting was good.
Hey, can I ask, have you received that card? Is it in good condition? I've been considering getting one of those myself, but I'm not used to buying stuff internationally, and I'm pretty sure those cards are getting to Newegg's affiliate from Canada...

Thanks!

CottonTexas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 14, 2019
Hey, can I ask, have you received that card? Is it in good condition? I've been considering getting one of those myself, but I'm not used to buying stuff internationally, and I'm pretty sure those cards are getting to Newegg's affiliate from Canada...

Thanks!

Just recently ordered this last time it was in stock, so I haven't received it yet, but I'll update this thread as soon as I lay eyes on it. Cheers, Cotton

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
A small update on the situation: both BLT and NextWarehouse have pushed their estimate on when Zotac will send them any cards to early November. On the other hand, Canada continues to be resupplied: PC-Canada has five more cards in stock today, after selling out last week.