Rumor GTX 2080 launching in April

According to TweakTown, GTX 2080 will launch in April. Which, by my estemates is right, as there will be GTC held in March, so about a month from then.

My only dissapointment is the technology. It says that it would be 14nm, but i expected 10nm. Especially, from what i have heard, the fact that the cost of even big silicon dies like on GV100, wouldnt be so expensive on 10 and 7nm technologies. But of course more expensive than 14nm.

But i wouldnt mind the process node if the architecture is well designed and implemented!

Source

Reactions: AlexTzone

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I suppose, when miners are selling their cards for newer/next generation cards, they are selling to gamers. So, when gamers are buying these used cards from miners, gamers are actually helping the miners to swallow the newer/next gen cards. So, gamers should not complain that the top cards are being taken by miners?

Reactions: AleksandarK

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I don't think "miners don't buy mining cards" is true at all. Miners buy any cards they can get their hands on, and 'mining' cards go out of stock just as fast as any other card.
And with how cheap 2xx series cards were dumped after the first 'crash', resale value to gamers is of minimal concern (if any) to miners.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Those exist but miners don't buy them because they have no resale value.

That card is not photoshopped.

Here's one of Asus' mining cards. It's a P106 (GTX 1060 iirc, the P104 is a 1070 equivalent) but miners don't like buying them because there's no resale value.

I didn't mean to be controversial but I am still pretty sure that *particular* Sapphire Nitro RX480 pictured is photoshopped. The I/O is higher resolution than the rest of the photo and you can't see through the cutouts--they are solid black (for one reason).

It is cool that others are doing it though (thanks for sharing the ASUS)...and you make a good point. Why on earth would miners buy them if they are probably nearly the same cost and the big draw for GPU mining instead of the ASICs is the resale potential. Bummer.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
and the big draw for GPU mining instead of the ASICs is the resale potential.
The big draw of GPUs over ASIC miners is the up-front cost barrier to start iwth (a >$1000 GPU vs. several $k for a single ASIC miner), and availability: ASIC batches are brought up just as quickly as GPU batches are, but (for non-Bitcoin ASICs) there are more batches of GPUs on sale than ASIC miners. If you look at the resale prices of ASIC miners (vs. direct sale prices), they're at similarly massive markups to GPUs.

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
It would be nice if they included hdmi 2.1 output on the cards (since I will likely update my main HTPC during this generation). But to be honest, it is likely too new to be fitted into the design. :)