Rumor GTX 2080 launching in April

According to TweakTown, GTX 2080 will launch in April. Which, by my estemates is right, as there will be GTC held in March, so about a month from then.

My only dissapointment is the technology. It says that it would be 14nm, but i expected 10nm. Especially, from what i have heard, the fact that the cost of even big silicon dies like on GV100, wouldnt be so expensive on 10 and 7nm technologies. But of course more expensive than 14nm.

But i wouldnt mind the process node if the architecture is well designed and implemented!

Source

Reactions: AlexTzone

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
More interested in the 2050(ti), estimated for spring/summer 2019 T.T.

I'd like to see the 1050ti price to go down and availability to go up. I do not really need more for the light games I run or plan to run. Maybe the Intel/Radeon franken CPU will be enough if it is realeased in the (thin)-ITX/STX formfactor.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Here's hoping these GPUs are very bad for crypto-currency mining(hashrate-wise), so the gaming community might stand a chance of buying these at reasonable prices. Otherwise they could just as well not sell them at all without a PC built around them. I like new GPUs any time of the week but as long as these sell with a 50-100% markup, these may be awesome, not many will be able to upgrade.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
What measures do you think are effective for a retailer to take to help the gamers to get these new cards?
Say, allowing only 1 or 2 cards per mailing address?
Some of my local stores are planning to bundle a new card with a new motherboard. This arrangement benefits a new system builder and also increases the capital cost of a mining machine. This method was used often by them in the past when Intel released a new high end CPU of high demand.

Reactions: AleksandarK

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
Bundling a graphics card with a motherboard, well that works extremely well since you force the buyer to also buy a cpu and ram if they want to use the motherboard they just bought. Very profitable.

Will be really interesting where they position the new generation. Extremely power efficient? More raw power at similar wattage? More specialized hardware making it much better at certain tasks? UHD-DRM certification? SLI finally biting the dust? :)

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
My two cents:

I personally think Nvidia should release the next generation GPUs with a BIOS (and possibly hardware feature) that deliberately kneecaps hashrate to the point that previous generation cards retain superiority. I also think they should have that functionality (or dysfunctionality) persist for at least six months after the release of each card. An even better solution would be to leave this functionality intact indefinitely and release mining specific cards with the hashrate handicap disabled. This is literally no different than what they do with GeForce and Quadro cards right now, so it is obviously well within their capabilities.

With no reason for miners to buy the new generation cards, they should remain at MSRP or at worst a reasonable third party markup that will reflect gamer-only demand. As an added bonus, the market for used last-generation cards will stay at least as strong as it is presently for a time as miners naturally replace their cards with the best available products remaining on the market. This will allow gamers who are upgrading to sell their existing cards for as much more than they are paying Nvidia and the AIBs for new cards. This would functionally result in a free upgrade for gamers on the back of miners. This would also give the AIBs a very strong market in which to clear their last-gen stock, likely resulting in extremely strong Q3 2018 financials.

Last edited:

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Considering the awesome (kidding) increase in performance with each new Intel CPU release ... Buying a new motherboard + CPU + RAM along the GPU won't give you much than the GPU alone. Also ... (R)etailer only care about selling, could it be gamer or miner ....

Last edited:

rcodi

SFF Gamer
Aug 5, 2017
More interested in the 2050(ti), estimated for spring/summer 2019 T.T.

I'd like to see the 1050ti price to go down and availability to go up. I do not really need more for the light games I run or plan to run. Maybe the Intel/Radeon franken CPU will be enough if it is realeased in the (thin)-ITX/STX formfactor.

I hope they can manage a decent boost in performance for the 2050/ti while not needing a power connector, I realize this is just a tock in the cycle though so we shouldn't see that much more unless they manage to get the 2050 on 10nm. You get a lot of performance from the 1050 Ti with just slot power right now it's really impressive.

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
My two cents:

I personally think Nvidia should release the next generation GPUs with a BIOS (and possibly hardware feature) that deliberately kneecaps hashrate to the point that previous generation cards retain superiority.

At least in the forums I visit, such a move would ignite the flames of passion for a lot of people. Imagine the rage when NVIDIA locks down their cards to cash in on mining! I mean, it went over well when they did it for professional applications?
And AMD does nothing, being once more the paragon of freedom, choice and apple-pie (red apples specifically). That you can't buy their cards are of less significance...

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
At least in the forums I visit, such a move would ignite the flames of passion for a lot of people. Imagine the rage when NVIDIA locks down their cards to cash in on mining! I mean, it went over well when they did it for professional applications?
And AMD does nothing, being once more the paragon of freedom, choice and apple-pie (red apples specifically). That you can't buy their cards are of less significance...

I never said that Nvidia (or AMD for that matter) would have to charge more for these cards, and frankly I don't think it would be good practice for them to do so. All I am suggesting is that they create a separate stream of GPUs that are deliberately kneecapped for mining so that gamers (their primary ongoing customer base) have a fair and readily available supply of cards at a fair price. If the miners want to buy out the supply of mining cards and drive a secondary market like that which exists presently, then let them fill their boots.

As far as motivation for this to happen, I recently placed an order with a company called PC-Canada for a Gigabyte 1080 Mini at 909.00 CAD (~735 USD). Considering prior price looking at PC Part Picker appears to be 549 USD this is already 185 USD above that. Unfortunately for me they botched my order and when I made them aware of it they proceeded to inform me that I could still have my card, but it would now cost 1035 CAD a mere week later (~840 USD). This isn't even a third party card flipper, but a primary resale channel.

Last edited:

GuilleAcoustic

SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
Nvidia is already crippling openGL on non-Quadro cards and FP64 on non-Tesla cards, the same for mining on non-mining card could be nice. I saw a Radeon with NO display output that is aimed at mining, could be the solution...

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
I never said that Nvidia (or AMD for that matter) would have to charge more for these cards, and frankly I don't think it would be good practice for them to do so. All I am suggesting is that they create a separate stream of GPUs that are deliberately kneecapped for mining so that gamers (their primary ongoing customer base) have a fair and readily available supply of cards at a fair price. If the miners want to buy out the supply of mining cards and drive a secondary market like that which exists presently, then let them fill their boots.

Just removing functions would set those people ablaze. Its the look of the thing, compounded by the “greedy” Nvidia doing it.
I swear you can see them frothing at the mouth...

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well those ampere gpu are not really interesting...it should be only pascal refresh.
Only hope is that nvidia includes its improved scheduler to improve async performance (like volta, titan v)

Personnally i will definitely wait for 7nm, like for cpu..:)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Nvidia is already crippling openGL on non-Quadro cards and FP64 on non-Tesla cards, the same for mining on non-mining card could be nice. I saw a Radeon with NO display output that is aimed at mining, could be the solution...

That's a great idea! Unfortunately that card is photoshopped (and a 480)..makes me sad that it might not happen.

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
My two cents:

I personally think Nvidia should release the next generation GPUs with a BIOS (and possibly hardware feature) that deliberately kneecaps hashrate to the point that previous generation cards retain superiority. I also think they should have that functionality (or dysfunctionality) persist for at least six months after the release of each card. An even better solution would be to leave this functionality intact indefinitely and release mining specific cards with the hashrate handicap disabled. This is literally no different than what they do with GeForce and Quadro cards right now, so it is obviously well within their capabilities.

With no reason for miners to buy the new generation cards, they should remain at MSRP or at worst a reasonable third party markup that will reflect gamer-only demand. As an added bonus, the market for used last-generation cards will stay at least as strong as it is presently for a time as miners naturally replace their cards with the best available products remaining on the market. This will allow gamers who are upgrading to sell their existing cards for as much more than they are paying Nvidia and the AIBs for new cards. This would functionally result in a free upgrade for gamers on the back of miners. This would also give the AIBs a very strong market in which to clear their last-gen stock, likely resulting in extremely strong Q3 2018 financials.
Sadly I don't think there is any feasible way to do this in practice without crippling the card outright. There's no real way to tell a GPGPU operation that performs hashing for a cryptocurrency from a GPGPU operation doing something else. Blacklisting .EXEs is about as effective as a gnat's fart in a hurricane, and trying to excise GPGPU from your GPU is just shooting yourself in both feet.
Depending on supply of memory available making high-vRAM-capacity/bandwidth (basically the same thing in almost every case, more GDDR packages = wider bus) SKUs available at a large premium for miners may be more effective at making 'gaming' cards less attractive for mining. Slapping more vRAM onto a card has very little effect on performance even at very high resolutions (contrary to popular wisdom) but memory bandwidth is pretty much the key limiting factor for cryptocurrency mining (lots of data throughput, very simple operations on that data).
The final option is a bigger bet: to scale up production and assume the cryptocurrency market is not going to vanish overnight. AMD were bitten by this before.

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
A French etailer was selling a pack of 10x Sapphire RX470 mining edition for the price of 7 cards. I think this is a way to go.

Certainly, since they have no re-sale value (except for crossfire configs?) the price has to be quite a bit lower.

Last edited:

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
The issue won't be fixed with "mining" specific cards. The reason people use everyday gpus is because they have resell value. Mining cards with limited display outputs or none at all don't have a resell value. So unless you dive the price so a 1080 "mining" card was priced around a 1050, people are going to keep buying the regular cards because they can dump them for ~50-60% of the retail price when the next generation comes out on the used market to offset costs of upgrading and keep them at a net gain.

The only solution I can see would be to sell very cheap, high hashrate cards that don't need to depend on the used market. But thats not the approach of a business, you want the miners to keep buying your high end cards at a premium as right now they are your biggest business. And remodeling your business strategy over a current fad is a bad idea. When/if the crypto market crashes, your out one of your biggest revenue streams. So the current ideology of not separating mining and gaming is the only real option for Nividia and AMD, but if AIBs want to do it its in their right to try.

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016

-snip-
Those exist but miners don't buy them because they have no resale value.

That's a great idea! Unfortunately that card is photoshopped (and a 480)..makes me sad that it might not happen.
That card is not photoshopped.

Here's one of Asus' mining cards. It's a P106 (GTX 1060 iirc, the P104 is a 1070 equivalent) but miners don't like buying them because there's no resale value.