News NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Launching April 2019

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
For what it's worth, Newegg here in the US has located a new source for Zotac gtx 1650 cards. At a price of $184 (with free shipping), it is still more expensive than the normal list price, but less expensive than most other imports. This an affiliate of Newegg, not Newegg itself, so be wary if you're planning to do business with them.

Hopefully though, this may mean that the embargo of the US is about to end, if the third-party importers are trying to unload their stock at reduced prices. Crossing my fingers...

Reactions: CottonTexas

LeChuck81

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 6, 2019
On the rumors front, one recent article is proposing that Nvidia is going to ditch the name "1650 Ti" and replace it with "1650 Super" at their upcoming release at the end of the month. I've gotta start changing my search strings...

Or maybe they plan to release a future "1650 Ti" with more power? Considering how they are naming the 1660 family, it could be. Is there even room for a 1650 Ti over the 1650 SUPER, considering the TU117? Maybe higher freqs + faster ram?

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
Or maybe they plan to release a future "1650 Ti" with more power? Considering how they are naming the 1660 family, it could be. Is there even room for a 1650 Ti over the 1650 SUPER, considering the TU117? Maybe higher freqs + faster ram?

I kinda doubt it. The 1650, like its predecessor the 1050, is designed right up against a hard limit of 75 watts of power. In order to create the 1050 Ti, Nvidia actually had to slow down the clock speed of the card in order to add more CUDA cores, which is probably what they'll do again for this new 1650 variant. There just isn't a whole lot of room for more variants of the card, unless they give up and add a PCIe power connector to the thing.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
For TU117, no, there isn't. They would need to use a cut-down TU116 for that, as the TU117 only has something like 2 SMs (128 CUDA cores) disabled. If the Super gets faster RAM, a fully-enabled TU117-based Ti would be a few percent faster than that at best.

LeChuck81

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 6, 2019
Just for the sake of discussion, I'd like to point out that rumors say that between the 1660 SUPER and the Ti there won't be that much of a gap in performance.
It's Nvidia, after all, if they can throw another GPU out there, why not?
I'm wondering what/if the AMD offer in the 75 W realm will be and how it will perform. Right now their offering is the 560 iirc and that's nothing to look at, as long as budget is not the main concern.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Just for the sake of discussion, I'd like to point out that rumors say that between the 1660 SUPER and the Ti there won't be that much of a gap in performance.
It's Nvidia, after all, if they can throw another GPU out there, why not?
I'm wondering what/if the AMD offer in the 75 W realm will be and how it will perform. Right now their offering is the 560 iirc and that's nothing to look at, as long as budget is not the main concern.
According to TPU's GPU database there's just 15% between a 1660 and a 1660 Ti already, so there really isn't much room for the Super (unless there's also a Ti Super?). They might just kill off the Ti - that's what happened with the previous Super launch, at least. If they can sell salvaged chips at higher performance through sacrificing a bit of power efficiency by boosting clocks, that gives them more inventory of fully enabled chips to sell as Quadros at much higher margins.

I'm hopeful for AMD doing well in the <75W segment with RDNA - the rumored 128-bit bus on these cards is a good fit for LP SKUs at least, so even if these are 100-120W SKUs there's always the possibility of a downclocked LP version (or a balls-to-the-wall one with some sort of external power, though that would be quite the squeeze).

Reactions: annasoh323

rogar308

Caliper Novice
Jul 18, 2019
Just in from BLT today: We have been informed that the ordered product has an updated estimated time of arrival (ETA) into our warehouse of 10/09/19

This is getting ludicrous...

If this keeps up much longer I'll have to put in a clause in my will to pass along the wait order to next of kin...

Last edited:

Comrade

Caliper Novice
Oct 6, 2019
Hi guys, i just bought an OCed version of Asus gtx 1650 and I can confirm that fans do not spin when temp drops below 47-45 degree. Didnt try it in windows games, have to install it first, played a bit Dirt rally and were surpriced of noice level, did not expect the card to be so silent. Yes, the sound is noticable and rpm rised to 3200-3400 or something (80%), but its not loud at all. Temp rised to 82 degree.
I have removed that dumb back cover and i had to cut a bit of plastic frame to fit the card into my optiplex 7010sff (hello, warranty)). Anyway, im very satisfied so far.
I very doubt there will be low profile version of 1650ti because it will not meet low profile power limit of 75Watt, wich 1650 rarely meets

Last edited:

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
@Comrade thank you very much for the report!

I very doubt there will be low profile version of 1650ti because it will not meet low profile power limit of 75Watt, wich 1650 rarely meets

Nvidia could just do what they did with the 1050 / 1050 ti: both are limited to a max of 75 watts, but the ti is actually clocked slower in order to run more cuda cores at the same power level.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Once I'm done with fitting components inside my case, I can decide whether the Asus card can fit. Screw zotac.

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
Once I'm done with fitting components inside my case, I can decide whether the Asus card can fit. Screw zotac.

The Asus does sound better at the moment. But at least Zotac is making cards in quantity; Asus seemed to just throw a few dozen cards out in Asia, Europe, and Russia, and those seem to be disappearing quickly...

Comrade

Caliper Novice
Oct 6, 2019
@Comrade thank you very much for the report!

Nvidia could just do what they did with the 1050 / 1050 ti: both are limited to a max of 75 watts, but the ti is actually clocked slower in order to run more cuda cores at the same power level.

You are welcome. I hope Nvidia will do so and release LP version of fully TU117. The question remains when the card will be available and against what price., so i just gave up my patience.

Last edited:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Hi guys, i just bought an OCed version of Asus gtx 1650 and I can confirm that fans do not spin when temp drops below 47-45 degree. Didnt try it in windows games, have to install it first, played a bit Dirt rally and were surpriced of noice level, did not expect the card to be so silent. Yes, the sound is noticable and rpm rised to 3200-3400 or something (80%), but its not loud at all. Temp rised to 82 degree.
I have removed that dumb back cover and i had to cut a bit of plastic frame to fit the card into my optiplex 7010sff (hello, warranty)). Anyway, im very satisfied so far.

Oh my this is so exciting!

Can you measure the thickness of the heatsink? (Some of us like to remove the stock fan/shroud and attach thine 80mm fans)
Also can you confirm if the card uses a 4-pin fan header or 5-pin fan header?

Last edited:

Comrade

Caliper Novice
Oct 6, 2019
Oh my this is so exciting!

Can you measure the thickness of the heatsink? (Some of us like to remove the stock fan/shroud and attach thine 80mm fans)
Also can you confirm if the card uses a 4-pin fan header or 5-pin fan header?
Sorry, disassemble without braking something down is quiet a job, wont do it.
The card uses 5-pin header. Check the pictures of heatsink and card PCB in this review (its in russian, but you will have at least an idea) Gtx1650 is exactly the same as 1050ti reviewed.

Last edited:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Sorry, disassemble without braking something down is quiet a job, wont do it.

The card uses 5-pin header. Check the pictures of heatsink and card PCB in this review (its in russian, but you will have at least an idea) Gtx1650 is exactly the same as 1050ti reviewed.

Thanks, I understand about not wanting to take it apart.

Good to know it's the same 5-pin header, it was hard to tell from the stock photos.

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
Well, two weeks after PC-Canada received a shipment of 33 new Zotac cards, they are completely sold out. Newegg's Canadian imports are sold out too. I really can't understand why these manufacturers continue to pump out full height 1650 cards that seem to just sit on shelves while every low profile 1650 they produce gets snapped up as fast as the retailers get them...