News NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Launching April 2019

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Release slowly creeping closer... ZOTAC now has a web page up for their low profile card. (Although they are currently showing the wrong card in the overview section of the page.)

Glad to see it is getting closer but sadly no mention of zero RPM fan mode anywhere in their brochure :-/

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017

I'm sure Zotac won't be far behind!!

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
Still no true single-slot cards to replace my GT 1030 though... :(

Does there really need to be a replacement for the 1030 at this point, though? That card does an amazing job for a power budget of just 30 watts.

The current high-end gaming GPUs perform well by performing massively parallel computations, requiring lots of silicon, and therefore lots of wattage. All that electricity generates enormous amounts of heat that must be removed somehow.

As a low-profile card has less surface area available for cooling than a standard-sized card, it is in even greater need of a large heatsink. I think the cost of additional width is an acceptable trade-off for the reduced height...

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
So when is it actually going to end up in stores? XD

ZOTAC gave out the SKU number for their card, and that number has been popping up in more and more online storefronts over the last few days. None of them show that they have the card in stock, but a few of them report that they will have the LP cards on July 1st. So, that is the date I'm currently betting on.

Last edited:
Reactions: owliwar

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
So, I'm planning another low profile build but I'm hesitating to buy this. I'd rather not end up with this card and have the 1650ti launch a couple weeks later. Has there been any recent news on the 1650ti?

Legion

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
So, I'm planning another low profile build but I'm hesitating to buy this. I'd rather not end up with this card and have the 1650ti launch a couple weeks later. Has there been any recent news on the 1650ti?

Zip, nada, nothing !!!
I don't want one even if they do, the 1650 has had some of it's media engine stripped from the die (won't affect gamers or coders) making it a no go for me as a playback card with some editing.
I went with a 1660ti card in the end and couldn't be happier, full media engine intact and 120w power draw gaming. At almost GTX1070 level, it's amazing perf per watt !!!
Yes it does cost more and you need a bigger case for it, I was happy to trade that for the intact Turing media engine !!!

Last edited:

Kagemand

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2017
Zip, nada, nothing !!!
I don't want one even if they do, the 1650 has had some of it's media engine stripped from the die (won't affect gamers or coders) making it a no go for me as a playback card with gaming as a secondary concern.
I went with a 1660ti card in the end and couldn't be happier, full media engine intact and 120w power draw gaming. At almost 1070 level, it's amazing perf per watt !!!
The 1660ti isn't LP.

A dark horse is whether Navi will have a LP version in 2019.

kotproger

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 9, 2016
vk.com
Does there really need to be a replacement for the 1030 at this point, though? That card does an amazing job for a power budget of just 30 watts.

The current high-end gaming GPUs perform well by performing massively parallel computations, requiring lots of silicon, and therefore lots of wattage. All that electricity generates enormous amounts of heat that must be removed somehow.

As a low-profile card has less surface area available for cooling than a standard-sized card, it is in even greater need of a large heatsink. I think the cost of additional width is an acceptable trade-off for the reduced height...
Consumption problem can solve undervolt video cards. Judging by the publications - you can very significantly reduce consumption. But, unfortunately, there is no BIOS editing software for new card models to permanently register these settings in the video card itself.

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
Consumption problem can solve undervolt video cards. Judging by the publications - you can very significantly reduce consumption. But, unfortunately, there is no BIOS editing software for new card models to permanently register these settings in the video card itself.

But, why would there be? The cards have been designed for high wattage, both in their settings and in their construction -- thus, they are created to occupy two (or even more) slots. Presumably, you wouldn't need to undervolt a single-slot card, it would have already been designed not to overheat...

kotproger

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 9, 2016
vk.com
But, why would there be? The cards have been designed for high wattage, both in their settings and in their construction -- thus, they are created to occupy two (or even more) slots. Presumably, you wouldn't need to undervolt a single-slot card, it would have already been designed not to overheat...
They are designed for trade and mass in the first place.
And the ideas of the SFF are still a lot of enthusiasts than the mass consumer.
Otherwise, there would be no articles and videos where users reduced the consumption of video cards without loss of performance.

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
They are designed for trade and mass in the first place.
And the ideas of the SFF are still a lot of enthusiasts than the mass consumer.
Otherwise, there would be no articles and videos where users reduced the consumption of video cards without loss of performance.

Well, I think the original question was why there are no single slot, low profile, high performance graphics cards. :)

I just think that is trying to serve too many masters. A double slot card is a reasonable tradeoff for high performance in a low profile card, to my mind.

kotproger

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 9, 2016
vk.com
Well, I think the original question was why there are no single slot, low profile, high performance graphics cards. :)

I just think that is trying to serve too many masters. A double slot card is a reasonable tradeoff for high performance in a low profile card, to my mind.
But I would not give up the low-profile 2-slot 1066 or 1166)

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
Anandtech has just come out with a short article on the ZOTAC and MSI cards. The author doesn't have anything particularly new to say about them, but does provide a nice summary of everything we do know about them so far. He also postulates that they should be offered close to the MSRP recommended by NVIDIA for the 1650, which is $149.

Reactions: owliwar