News NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Launching April 2019

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Well, but yeah! I don't currently have a single machine that can handle an rx570. But I have at least three (and will probably be getting more) that can handle a low-profile, 75w card.

Nvidia can get away with a premium price because Nvidia's cards can play in areas where AMD doesn't compete.
This is pretty much where I'm at. (Ah, plus @owliwar is here with the CG7 only accomadating LP cards as well). If they can fit GTX 1060 performance in a LP package, great! That might be enough to push me to build my first LP system. Well, that and holding out somewhat to see if Navi might have something in that similar bracket, or if LP Navi is even probable.

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
I believe this news pretty much confirms we can expect 1660 Ti low profile this year?

? I don't see why it would. For one thing, the 1660 Ti requires more than 75 watts, and I have yet to see any manufacturer come out with a low profile card that requires an additional power connector. For another thing, I don't see "low profile" mentioned anywhere on the page.

I have seen a rumor that a low profile 1650 Ti is in the works, though...

glow

Trash Compacter
Feb 5, 2019
? I don't see why it would. For one thing, the 1660 Ti requires more than 75 watts, and I have yet to see any manufacturer come out with a low profile card that requires an additional power connector. For another thing, I don't see "low profile" mentioned anywhere on the page.

I have seen a rumor that a low profile 1650 Ti is in the works, though...
Not recently, anyways. I remember the 9800GT did have at least one low profile card (and 6pin). I wonder if the escape routing for GDDR5 and above make this an impossibility for modern designs, and the only HBM cards out there use massive amounts of power (far beyond what one or two 60mm fans can reasonably cool).

Reactions: Copernicus

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
This part "As a result, with a power envelope of as low as 60W, GTX 1660 Ti laptops deliver the best performance per watt of any laptop in their class."

Ah! So far as I know, I've only seen Apple put laptop GPUs into desktop machines before... Is that a thing now? (It'd make sense for smaller desktops, I think.)

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
TechPowerUp has completed a review of the GTX 1650 that, I believe, shows exactly what Nvidia was attempting to accomplish with this card. Among their tests, they analyzed the performance per watt of this card against a number of alternatives; at 1080p, it beat them _all_. Check out this graph:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_1650_SC_Ultra_Black/

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
TechPowerUp has completed a review of the GTX 1650 that, I believe, shows exactly what Nvidia was attempting to accomplish with this card. Among their tests, they analyzed the performance per watt of this card against a number of alternatives; at 1080p, it beat them _all_. Check out this graph:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_1650_SC_Ultra_Black/
Thanks for posting - very thorough review and great to see fan noise and power consumption.

Looks like other 1650 models have extremely low fan noise (28db) at load. Also very surprised how well this trounces the 1050ti. 25% better in almost all gaming benchmarks!

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
they analyzed the performance per watt of this card against a number of alternatives; at 1080p, it beat them _all_.
I think that's a stretch to say. It beat everything except the 1660ti - which effectively tied with it.

My take away is that if a 1650ti exists, it is probably a little bit more efficient than the 1650 and would be the most power efficient card for the Turing lineup for 1080p

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
Agreed :D I think it is impressive too
1650 has impressive 1080p perf/watt
1660ti has impressive perf/watt across the board
2080ti/2080 have impressive perf/watt at 4k

When RTX first came out I had thought the bar didn't move for efficiency with the power draw numbers they had. But with the lower end cards now out it is clear efficiency is even better than pascal, the 2080ti/2080 are just such monsters that they can't be fully utilized at 1080p so they only shine in 4k+ :eek:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I agree with @NateDawg72, in that the 1660Ti hits the sweet spot for performance/watt. The 1650 is too weak an option for me as I have a RX 570 already.

The last LP cards I know of that have a extra power connector is way back in the Pitcairn line of AMD cards with the Colorful HD 7750 and Afox 7850. Don't think we'll see cards like those again.

Copernicus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 21, 2019
I agree with @NateDawg72, in that the 1660Ti hits the sweet spot for performance/watt. The 1650 is too weak an option for me as I have a RX 570 already.

Eh, my interest these days is in machines that take low-profile cards. So sue me. :)

As such, I'll probably never have any use for the 1660 or the 570...

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Every time I watch/read a review of the 1650, I'm about to open my mouth in protest by saying that it's the most powerful card that could theoretically be put into an LP package (they sure are taking their time with those, aren't they?). Then I remember that the usual argument against that, which I agree with, is it's a niche use case, relatively speaking. Most "budget builds" on something like PCPP are cheap towers, mATX boards, Ryzen 5/i5 builds with a cheaper 80+ (80+ Bronze, if they splurge) PSU. A cheap RX 570 or even RX 580 (if they splurge) are fine on those.

And so, I continue biting my tongue. But here, I have no such reservations: bring on the 1080p/60fps High/Ultra settings LP card!

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015

Seems like Asus LP cards in the works have been leaked :)

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016

Seems like Asus LP cards in the works have been leaked :)
Yep, this is the rumor we have been latching on to for a while. Still not photos of the supposed ASUS LP 1650/1650ti though =/