Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017

Would these magnets work? I'm thinking of getting them but haven't had time to measure the thickness of the original magnets since I've been gone, and wanted them to arrive when I get back into town. Could someone check for me

1/16" thick.

Yeah 1/16" is the right thickness.

Please note that I consciously try not post too much on reddit, and to let the community have their discussions, unless there is specific requests directed to u/nouvolo. You can see the lack of posts from all other vendors also, at least official ones.

Yeah, Reddit has a bunch of rules about self promotion and SFFpc/hardware are pretty strict about it.

I like the idea of the larger fan and also the cheaper cost tbh, but I'm not sure if the fitment will be possible or if there are any other downsides?

Honestly, I think you'd see better cooling performance and next to no audible difference out of a true SFX and then a 120x25mm fan below it. The silverstone SFX-L is great if you pull it apart and replace the fan with a better 120mm fan, but in the 2 builds I've put together with them, the fan started to rattle about its baring after 3-4 months. Maybe they've since fixed the spotty QA on them as it was when they first launched, but since you can get SFX in up to 700W platinum, I haven't gone back to silverstones SFX-L line.

If you really must have a 120mm fan on your PSU, I've only heard good things about the Seasonic SGX line. Its fan has a true FDB, so it should hold up better than Silverstones sleeve baring. It also happens to be a few mm shorter in depth.

Reactions: chyll2

Benc

Cable Smoosher
Sep 9, 2019
Thanks for the info @Allhopeforhumanity I'll take a look at the sfx lineup! I was wondering if the sfx-l would interfere with a 120 fan below, so like you say, maybe the SFX would be better in the long run.

Last edited:

KriZ

Cable Smoosher
Jul 26, 2019
Is it possible my riser cable is defective? I didn't make any sharp bends with it except near the GPU where you kind of have to (not sure if this could damage the riser cable?).

I'm getting freezes in Windows. I have sent nearly every part back, have gotten a new motherboard, cpu and ram. The shop checked the new ram again as well as the ssd. The only thing not replaced is the GPU (1050ti) and a new PSU.

The error code is LiveKernalEvent 141, and from what I found on Google, it usually seems to be related to the GPU.
When I check the log details, I saw "PCI Express Error".

Which leads me to believe it's the riser cable? I will try if I can remove the back panel and mount the GPU into the motherboard directly tomorrow, but would like to hear your ideas on the issue. It's been more than a month and I'm going crazy.

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
@Nouvolo

thanks for the update. Ghost S1 is my case, but I will happily switch to Steck if you guys (a) improve the side panel ventilation (more holes), and (b) maybe change the magnets for panels, and (c) slimmer stack for 120mm x 25mm top fans like everyone is asking. I like the appearance of the Steck more.

I will patiently wait for your next update.

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
Is it possible my riser cable is defective? I didn't make any sharp bends with it except near the GPU where you kind of have to (not sure if this could damage the riser cable?).

I'm getting freezes in Windows. I have sent nearly every part back, have gotten a new motherboard, cpu and ram. The shop checked the new ram again as well as the ssd. The only thing not replaced is the GPU (1050ti) and a new PSU.

The error code is LiveKernalEvent 141, and from what I found on Google, it usually seems to be related to the GPU.
When I check the log details, I saw "PCI Express Error".

Which leads me to believe it's the riser cable? I will try if I can remove the back panel and mount the GPU into the motherboard directly tomorrow, but would like to hear your ideas on the issue. It's been more than a month and I'm going crazy.
These thing are hard to troubleshoot on text alone. Anyway, if you think the riser is faulty, then the best way to do it is by removing the riset and putting the Card directly on the motherboard PCIE slot. IF there are no problem then pretty much you have isolated it to be the riser problem.

IF by any chance you are using the newer x570 board, then try to set the PCIE 4.0 to 3.0. There is a issue that PCIE riser dont play well with the PCIE 4.0 standard (which made some of the popular case to update their risers to 3M or the new ADT PCIE4.0 riser)

mrtheegglamp

Minimal Tinkerer
Sep 11, 2019
Does anyone know how close the 195mm GPU clearance gets to the 2x 2.5" HDD tray on the Steck? Looking at getting the RX 580 V1 from MSI for a hackintosh build. The Card is 198mm. Heres a link: https://www.newegg.ca/msi-radeon-rx-580-8g-v1/p/N82E16814137244

If anyone has experience with this specific card in the Steck I would love to know if I can facilitate 2 2.5" HDD's on the interior. I ordered my Steck recently and don't want to jump onto this card until I know for sure. I sent an email to Nouvolo and they indicated that a card might block the screw holes on the bracket but didn't reference this card or the 198mm specifically, so I'm hoping someone has the Steck and this card to verify.

I'm also not sure if that measurement includes the part of the bracket that screws into the chassis, which could make the measurement even closer to 195mm, but I have no way of verifying.

Thanks!

(I'm new here so if this is the wrong place or format let me know)

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
One thing to note, is that you can always put a single 2.5" drive between the front pannel and the spine of the chassis. So if you can still add one on the bottom even with double sided tape you can rock 2 x 2.5 drives.

I don't know about the dimensions/if it will fit specifically, but you should be able to make it work. :) They just might not be right next to each other.

mrtheegglamp

Minimal Tinkerer
Sep 11, 2019
One thing to note, is that you can always put a single 2.5" drive between the front panel and the spine of the chassis. So if you can still add one on the bottom even with double-sided tape you can rock 2 x 2.5 drives.

I don't know about the dimensions/if it will fit specifically, but you should be able to make it work. They just might not be right next to each other.

Is the drive between the spine and front panel a supported config? or is it also double-sided tape?

either way, I'll probably do that. I mainly wanted a 120mm fan at the bottom so I figured I'd have to have them in the side position to have any 2.5" drives. but if I can do one in the front and not have to worry about fitting 2 in the side, I can probably just get a larger, cheaper, cooler RX 580.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Is the drive between the spine and front panel a supported config? or is it also double-sided tape?

either way, I'll probably do that. I mainly wanted a 120mm fan at the bottom so I figured I'd have to have them in the side position to have any 2.5" drives. but if I can do one in the front and not have to worry about fitting 2 in the side, I can probably just get a larger, cheaper, cooler RX 580.
It isn't supported config, I have also seen several people do it. You can also mount one between the PSU and the spine, double sided tape needed.

Reactions: Poblopuablo

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Ya'll are heroes.

i'll just get a bigger card and do one (or both) of these.
I personally like the one between the front plate and the chassis more , because it leaves space for cable management behind the PSU. But if you can manage your cable(or have custom cables) I see no reason why it wouldn't be possible. :)

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
I have a ghost s1 currently but I'm interested in the nouvolo steck due to the tempered glass. How much worse are the temps of the Nouvolo steck with the tempered glass running a 240 AIO? Also I read earlier that the panels venting were quite restrictive and there seems to be a large difference in temperatures with the panels on and off. Has this been improved?

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
I have a ghost s1 currently but I'm interested in the nouvolo steck due to the tempered glass. How much worse are the temps of the Nouvolo steck with the tempered glass running a 240 AIO? Also I read earlier that the panels venting were quite restrictive and there seems to be a large difference in temperatures with the panels on and off. Has this been improved?
From my understanding v1.1 did not address side pannel perforation. Other temps are decent, you might want to add some cooling over your vrms or nvme SSD (if high performance parts are being used or if your overclocking) but otherwise 240mm aio temps on cpu are pretty good.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
@macbosco can you post pictures of an assembled v1.1case? Not necessarily populated with hardware, but im thinking of modding the bottom to accommodate a 120mm rad with tubes facing toward the CPU side. I understand I'd need spacers on the glass panels to accommodate that. Specifically, I'm wondering, what kind of clearence there is for the 120mm fan on the bottom and how much space I have to work with(in the front to back positioning.... ie: front of the case to back of the case).

Or, even better, could you just let me know the distance depicted in the picture?
It has to be pretty close to 120mm since a sfx PSU is 125mm and the PSU is ~2mm from the edge of the motherboard, and the side bracket(where the side panels attach to) is covering ~5-7mm of the PSU. So it just
might fit! I'd be fine filing down like 2-3 mm if necessary. :) It would provide some nice cooling!

Last edited:
Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
I will see what I can do, I am going to move to a bigger office in these couple months... all kind of messy here right now.

As for the space you are asking about in your photo, I can confirm there is no change at all in that respect.

Best of luck with your move!! :D I can only imagine it's kinda crazy with all the cases and upkeep!

Ok. Thank you. Can someone with their v1 comment on the distance specified in my above post?

Mordr3d

Efficiency Noob
Aug 23, 2019
@Nouvolo

I'd love to get the case but my country : India , doesn't seem to be on the checkout list even though its probably one of the closest to where its being produced . I've sent a couple of emails but I get the same reply saying they'll let me know after they talk to the shipping partner. Could you please help me out with this? I'd like to get a unit , ideally from this batch since I have no clue when it'll be available next .