Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

LexImatx

Trash Compacter
Mar 31, 2019
Otherwise, I love it. I kinda wish the top panel was also magnetically attached too. I'm going to try to put corner magnets on the top panel to stick to the tops of the magnetic plates in the case, but the lack of secureness on the top makes it hard to move. The documentation on the site could also be a bit more clear, but it's ultimately fine.
I may be wrong, but I'm almost certain my case came with 2 shorter magnetic strips that fix to the top panel to hold the lid on.
Are you sure you don't have any spares?

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018

Preliminary 120mm aio test fit. Will be a custom Closed loop cooler. (All copper after I clean the pump thoroughly).

Using the EKWB EK-CoolStream Classic SE 120 Slim Radiator. 27mm tall rad and the new Corsair sf120m fan (not pictured, it should be here by Thurs or Friday). I will be using a cooler master aio pump/block that will attach to the radiator using 1/4" ID 3/8" OD soft tube with a 3/8" tech flex sleeving. Fittings are the enzotech g1/4 swivel 90° 1/4" ID Barb (I'm using 1/4" Barb fittings because that's that the aio pump used previously).

I'm using the new sf120m due to its specs and color. On paper it out performs the nf-a12x25, but mainly excited for the on the fan voltage switch and black color.

Glass sides will be used and black m3 stand offs to make the radiator fit properly.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Hey everyone, I updated my "slim stack" thingiverse link with 2 new files for 21mm "slimmer stacks". These were designed for 15mm fans, and cut into 2 pieces at 168mm max length for easier printing in smaller print beds (instead of all at once for 315mm). https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3827933 This new stack is the same thickness of the feet, so it should make for a more symmetric look for those who want some top exhaust while keeping a shorting profile and nicer aesthetic.

Also I finished my build in the V1.1:
CPU: R7 3800x
Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi
CPU cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 3 (Noctua A12x15 modded with countersunk screw holes)
GPU: MSI 980Ti Gaming X (slim pci power cable extensions pending)
Ram: 16 Gb Corsair LPX PC 3600
Storage: 1TB HP EX920 NVMe
PSU: Corsair SFX750
Extra Fan: Noctua A12x15 under the PSU
Current Config: Using the V1.0 stacker since it had 2x Fractal Design 120mm Venturi fans already on it until I get my new 21mm stack printed and the slim pci power plugs.

Currently the CPU hits 4.2 Ghz all core at 94 C under small FFTs in prime95 (w/AVX) after 15 minutes, 82 C under large FFTs, and 72 C playing a quick game of Dota2.

V1.1 Review:

Manufacturing Quality:
The 1.1 chassis is definitely more rigid than the 1.0. The spine thickening and improved tolerances also go a long way to make the rig more squared up. No warpage in the side panels or on the stack unit this time around either which are pluses. The powder coat is a truer black, so looking closely you probably don't want to mix and match V1.0 and 1.1 components like I am currently. Unfortunately the new powder coat on my PSU bracket cracked and sluffed off a little when I tightened down the PSU mounting screws, so I'd say error on the lighter torque side here. Also the stamp marks are still evident on the front and rear panels which aren't too bad in most circumstances, but still noticeable if you get right up close to it.

New Features:
The new power button and diffused LEDs are a welcome improvement. No longer are they blinding, and the white smoked button has a nice look to it in my opinion. It's not as nice as the LED ring anti-vandal switches a lot of people put on the S4 mini, but its still pretty dang nice in my opinion. The new power cord extension and its attachment to the chassis are both an aesthetic and safety improvement with the more robust heat shrink shroud. The new bottom piece also is a great improvement with the 120 and 92mm fan mounting points, but I do wish that it were better ventilated and is something that 2.0 should see some focus on. Lastly, I'm not sure if they are new, but the screws are certainly a higher quality this time around and much less prone to stripping like my 1.0 M3s.

New Packaging:
In a word: Phenomenal; the 1.1 comes packaged better than the majority of components that I put it in.

Final Thoughts:
Overall I think the 1.1 is a great revision with solid improvements. It certainly doesn't do anything drastic, but the subtle improvements to the PSU mounting height, bottom fan support, more rigid spine, and better fitment all improved my enjoyment of the chassis considerably.

Will add pictures later when I have some better natural light and the new slimmer stack printed and installed.

izzul94

Efficiency Noob
Sep 23, 2019
Hey everyone, I updated my "slim stack" thingiverse link with 2 new files for 21mm "slimmer stacks". These were designed for 15mm fans, and cut into 2 pieces at 168mm max length for easier printing in smaller print beds (instead of all at once for 315mm). https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3827933 This new stack is the same thickness of the feet, so it should make for a more symmetric look for those who want some top exhaust while keeping a shorting profile and nicer aesthetic.

Also I finished my build in the V1.1:
CPU: R7 3800x
Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi
CPU cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 3 (Noctua A12x15 modded with countersunk screw holes)
GPU: MSI 980Ti Gaming X (slim pci power cable extensions pending)
Ram: 16 Gb Corsair LPX PC 3600
Storage: 1TB HP EX920 NVMe
PSU: Corsair SFX750
Extra Fan: Noctua A12x15 under the PSU
Current Config: Using the V1.0 stacker since it had 2x Fractal Design 120mm Venturi fans already on it until I get my new 21mm stack printed and the slim pci power plugs.

Currently the CPU hits 4.2 Ghz all core at 94 C under small FFTs in prime95 (w/AVX) after 15 minutes, 82 C under large FFTs, and 72 C playing a quick game of Dota2.

V1.1 Review:

Manufacturing Quality:
The 1.1 chassis is definitely more rigid than the 1.0. The spine thickening and improved tolerances also go a long way to make the rig more squared up. No warpage in the side panels or on the stack unit this time around either which are pluses. The powder coat is a truer black, so looking closely you probably don't want to mix and match V1.0 and 1.1 components like I am currently. Unfortunately the new powder coat on my PSU bracket cracked and sluffed off a little when I tightened down the PSU mounting screws, so I'd say error on the lighter torque side here. Also the stamp marks are still evident on the front and rear panels which aren't too bad in most circumstances, but still noticeable if you get right up close to it.

New Features:
The new power button and diffused LEDs are a welcome improvement. No longer are they blinding, and the white smoked button has a nice look to it in my opinion. It's not as nice as the LED ring anti-vandal switches a lot of people put on the S4 mini, but its still pretty dang nice in my opinion. The new power cord extension and its attachment to the chassis are both an aesthetic and safety improvement with the more robust heat shrink shroud. The new bottom piece also is a great improvement with the 120 and 92mm fan mounting points, but I do wish that it were better ventilated and is something that 2.0 should see some focus on. Lastly, I'm not sure if they are new, but the screws are certainly a higher quality this time around and much less prone to stripping like my 1.0 M3s.

New Packaging:
In a word: Phenomenal; the 1.1 comes packaged better than the majority of components that I put it in.

Final Thoughts:
Overall I think the 1.1 is a great revision with solid improvements. It certainly doesn't do anything drastic, but the subtle improvements to the PSU mounting height, bottom fan support, more rigid spine, and better fitment all improved my enjoyment of the chassis considerably.

Will add pictures later when I have some better natural light and the new slimmer stack printed and installed.

Can you please update the link with splited version of the 28mm stack, would really appreciate that.

Klaustraphobic

Efficiency Noob
Oct 3, 2019
Going for an air-cooled build. Any idea whats a good airflow configuration for this case? From what I've seen around the internet and this forum there's only 3 fan mounts on this case (2 in the top hat and 1 on the bottom). I first thought bottom as intake and top as exhaust but I'm concerned about the lack of air inflow,; thoughts?

Nouvolo

Creator
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Anyone else tried Hackintosh?

Post from u/arnaud-arthur

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Going for an air-cooled build. Any idea whats a good airflow configuration for this case? From what I've seen around the internet and this forum there's only 3 fan mounts on this case (2 in the top hat and 1 on the bottom). I first thought bottom as intake and top as exhaust but I'm concerned about the lack of air inflow,; thoughts?

In my experience bottom intake helps the CPU temps at the expense of the GPU thermals (if you have an axial fan open air card and not a blower that is). All 3 set to exhaust will create negative pressure and pull air in from the side panels, which I've had the best luck with.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Anybody happen to know a good black paint(or have a recommendation for one) that matches the 1.1? Did some more modding and I accidentally didn't tape the whole bottom pannel, creating some spots where the plate mate contact with the scroll saw.

Pics: New 120mm mounting location with hole, for my 120mm modded aio to fit.
do you think something like this would work well?

Last edited:
Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
I've never tried that paint stick before. In my experience I've gotten a good matte black finish which looks close to powder coat out of enamel. I haven't tried to match the 1.1 yet but I'd be curious to see how it works for you.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
I've never tried that paint stick before. In my experience I've gotten a good matte black finish which looks close to powder coat out of enamel. I haven't tried to match the 1.1 yet but I'd be curious to see how it works for you.
Something like this? https//www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-263422-Automotive-Enamel-Matte/dp/B00F87S5KM/ref=asc_df_B00F87S5KM/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=216767879473&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13367387032507378065&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1020086&hvtargid=pla-396537644772&psc=1

Klaustraphobic

Efficiency Noob
Oct 3, 2019
In my experience bottom intake helps the CPU temps at the expense of the GPU thermals (if you have an axial fan open air card and not a blower that is). All 3 set to exhaust will create negative pressure and pull air in from the side panels, which I've had the best luck with.
Would that configuration work with a blower card? I'm running a 3900x and I'm a little concerned with everything overheating in such a cramped space. Also I've read that negative pressure will accumulate dust so should I be adding filters?

Salicide

Minimal Tinkerer
Oct 5, 2019
My album of build pictures.

I received my Steck v1.1 last week and downsized my PC from a Phanteks Evolv Shift. I have been wanting to shrink my mITX build further for a number of reasons (size, space, temperatures) and finally ran across the Nouvolo Steck v1.1 which fit the bill perfectly (mainly full GPU support, 240mm AIO support, and good airflow). Inside the Steck I have:
  • AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
  • ASUS ROG STRIX X470-I mITX
  • TeamGroup Dark Pro 16GB DDR4-3200
  • AMD Radeon VII 1800MHz@990mV
  • Corsair SF600 600W SFX
  • NZXT Kraken x52 AIO Cooler
  • 1x NZXT Aer F120 (Intake), 2x Corsair ML120 Fans (Rad/Exhaust)
The Steck is 11.2L compared to the 22L of the Evolv Shift - however, I can't help but feel that the Steck utilizes its volume considerably better than the Evolv Shift. Building in the Steck was nearly effortless and it was certainly one of the easier PC builds I have completed - a welcome surprise.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the case and its thermal performance with such high-end parts. The Steck v1.1 feels like an upgrade over the Evolv Shift in every way - would without a doubt purchase again.

A review of the case:

Quality
The case looks and feels premium post-build. I really have no complaints about the quality of materials used and had no flexing during or after the build process. I heard some complaints prior to purchasing about the panels not lining up correctly, but with a bit of screw adjustment and patience, I had no issues making the surfaces flush; the case is delivered completely disassembled, so you kinda have to do this step anyways.

The one issue I do have is the quality of the magnetic strips used to hold the top panel and side panels on. When using the ventilated panel for the GPU side, the glue heated up and let the panel drop more than once. I don't believe this was an application issue either as I cleaned the surface with rubbing alcohol, applied the magnets, and allowed the glue to set overnight prior to attaching it to the case. I decided to use the glass panels, so this is not a huge deal for me, but might be for others only planning to use the base Steck.

Looks
The case is simple and sleek. The bright LED on the front that I saw users posting about in the v1 Steck has been resolved in the v1.1, which is nice. I understand the feet of the case aren't for everyone, but I certainly don't mind them as they make the head-on look of the case very uniform. The glass panels add a touch of premium feel to the case, which is one of the things that initially drew me to the Evolv Shift. There is a small gap between the glass and the top of the case, but I believe this may help attribute to the good thermal performance I'm seeing with the case (see below).

Speaking of uniform, the colors across the entire case match perfectly and I only mention this as I have seen some heartache from Ghost S1 owners attempting to match their bases to the top-hats.

The only (minor) drawback I have here is the Frankenstein Neck Bolt-esq look you have from the front after attaching the side panels with the thumb screws. Seen here and here. You could easily replace these with more flat screws, but it doesn't bother me enough to change it.

Build Ease
This is where I was pleasantly surprised with the Steck, as I thought a build this small would be a challenge. Turns out, building in the Shift was considerably more difficult than building in the Steck. The cable routing cutout behind the PSU seen in this picture is brilliant. I had no issues fitting the 24-pin, 2x GPU cables, and a SATA power cable (all SF600 stock) into the cutout. Not only did this make the build look considerably cleaner, it freed up enough space to place a full 120mm intake fan at the bottom of the case.

The build instructions, which are provided by Nouvolo in the form of YouTube videos, are adequate and nothing else. The videos do not show which screws are being used in what locations. It's easy enough to figure out the screws once you start putting the case together, but I would wish for more in-depth instructions in the future.

Temperatures
Another pleasant surprise for me, is how well everything is cooled in such a confined space even with the glass panels attached. Under full gaming load, using the Kraken x52 my 2700X stays below 57C and the Radeon VII under 71C(Hotspot 95C). I'm certain the 120mm intake fan at the bottom is a large factor in this as the GPU is getting fresh air at all times.

Anyone who has owned an Evolv Shift can attest to the lackluster thermal design the case, so this was a complete upgrade in all areas.

Overall
Excels at:

• Packaging and shipping (the flat pack boxes are great)
  • Cable management and use of space
  • Uniformity of colors
  • Looks
  • Temperatures
Shortcomings:
  • Provided magnetic strips are lackluster in the presence of heat
  • Case feet must be removed to add in bottom 120mm fan
Middle Ground:
  • Build instructions are only adequate
  • There is a small gap between the glass panels and top of the case
  • Frankenstein neck-bolt look with glass sides

Last edited:

Klaustraphobic

Efficiency Noob
Oct 3, 2019
My album of build pictures.

I received my Steck v1.1 last week and downsized my PC from a Phanteks Evolv Shift. I have been wanting to shrink my mITX build further for a number of reasons (size, space, temperatures) and finally ran across the Nouvolo Steck v1.1 which fit the bill perfectly (mainly full GPU support, 240mm AIO support, and good airflow). Inside the Steck I have:
  • AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
  • ASUS ROG STRIX X470-I mITX
  • TeamGroup Dark Pro 16GB DDR4-3200
  • AMD Radeon VII 1800MHz@990mV
  • Corsair SF600 600W SFX
  • NZXT Kraken x52 AIO Cooler
  • 1x NZXT Aer F120 (Intake), 2x Corsair ML120 Fans (Rad/Exhaust)
The Steck is 11.2L compared to the 22L of the Evolv Shift - however, I can't help but feel that the Steck utilizes its volume considerably better than the Evolv Shift. Building in the Steck was nearly effortless and it was certainly one of the easier PC builds I have completed - a welcome surprise.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the case and its thermal performance with such high-end parts. The Steck v1.1 feels like an upgrade over the Evolv Shift in every way - would without a doubt purchase again.

A review of the case:

Quality
The case looks and feels premium post-build. I really have no complaints about the quality of materials used and had no flexing during or after the build process. I heard some complaints prior to purchasing about the panels not lining up correctly, but with a bit of screw adjustment and patience, I had no issues making the surfaces flush; the case is delivered completely disassembled, so you kinda have to do this step anyways.

The one issue I do have is the quality of the magnetic strips used to hold the top panel and side panels on. When using the ventilated panel for the GPU side, the glue heated up and let the panel drop more than once. I don't believe this was an application issue either as I cleaned the surface with rubbing alcohol, applied the magnets, and allowed the glue to set overnight prior to attaching it to the case. I decided to use the glass panels, so this is not a huge deal for me, but might be for others only planning to use the base Steck.

Looks
The case is simple and sleek. The bright LED on the front that I saw users posting about in the v1 Steck has been resolved in the v1.1, which is nice. I understand the feet of the case aren't for everyone, but I certainly don't mind them as they make the head-on look of the case very uniform. The glass panels add a touch of premium feel to the case, which is one of the things that initially drew me to the Evolv Shift. There is a small gap between the glass and the top of the case, but I believe this may help attribute to the good thermal performance I'm seeing with the case (see below).

Speaking of uniform, the colors across the entire case match perfectly and I only mention this as I have seen some heartache from Ghost S1 owners attempting to match their bases to the top-hats.

The only (minor) drawback I have here is the Frankenstein Neck Bolt-esq look you have from the front after attaching the side panels with the thumb screws. Seen here and here. You could easily replace these with more flat screws, but it doesn't bother me enough to change it.

Build Ease
This is where I was pleasantly surprised with the Steck, as I thought a build this small would be a challenge. Turns out, building in the Shift was considerably more difficult than building in the Steck. The cable routing cutout behind the PSU seen in this picture is brilliant. I had no issues fitting the 24-pin, 2x GPU cables, and a SATA power cable (all SF600 stock) into the cutout. Not only did this make the build look considerably cleaner, it freed up enough space to place a full 120mm intake fan at the bottom of the case.

The build instructions, which are provided by Nouvolo in the form of YouTube videos, are adequate and nothing else. The videos do not show which screws are being used in what locations. It's easy enough to figure out the screws once you start putting the case together, but I would wish for more in-depth instructions in the future.

Temperatures
Another pleasant surprise for me, is how well everything is cooled in such a confined space even with the glass panels attached. Under full gaming load, using the Kraken x52 my 2700X stays below 57C and the Radeon VII under 71C(Hotspot 95C). I'm certain the 120mm intake fan at the bottom is a large factor in this as the GPU is getting fresh air at all times.

Anyone who has owned an Evolv Shift can attest to the lackluster thermal design the case, so this was a complete upgrade in all areas.

Overall
Excels at:

• Packaging and shipping (the flat pack boxes are great)
  • Cable management and use of space
  • Uniformity of colors
  • Looks
  • Temperatures
Shortcomings:
  • Provided magnetic strips are lackluster in the presence of heat
  • Case feet must be removed to add in bottom 120mm fan
Middle Ground:
  • Build instructions are only adequate
  • There is a small gap between the glass panels and top of the case
  • Frankenstein neck-bolt look with glass sides

Thanks for your insightful review; now I can't wait for mine to arrive.

Bummer about the magnetic strips; I'm going air cooling so I'll have to find some way to make it work