• Feet / Body - alignment guides
  • Panels - Top panel flushness improved
  • Backward Compatibility - Bottom panel not compatible with ver 1.0 parts
  • Colors - Matte Black / Frost White​
Pricing Information
Steck - base + stack bundle : USD195
Steck - base unit : USD169
Steck - stack unit : USD59

I think I have made most of the improvements that can be made at this stage. Thanks to all of your feedback. Version 1.1 will "run for a while", as I have invested back much from 1st batch to make tooling changes.

Last edited:

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
STECK (VER 1.1) CHANGES & PRICING INFO
  • Chassis Fan - Bottom case fan support
  • Power LED lights - dimmer, for improve aesthetics
  • PSU mounting bracket - improve compatibility
  • PSU position - raised higher, more room for bottom chassis fan
  • Structural - strengthening of the spine
  • Power cord - moulded casing socket end for improved safety
  • Feet / Body - alignment guides
  • Panels - Top panel flushness improved
  • Back Compatibility - Bottom panel not compatible with ver 1.0 parts
  • Colors - Matte Black / Frost White​

Sounds fantastic. Looking forward to seeing some pics of the bottom plate/PSU mount changes.

snailonni

Trash Compacter
Aug 27, 2019
Hi guys, I am new to this forum. Have read this project from start like pg 1-15 and jumped directly to here!

There is one thing in my mind that I was wondering. Is it possible to not mount the bottom above the foot curve? Instead, mount it below the foot curve? also, could the add-on tray be mounted below the foot curve? This way, I think I can try fit a 3.5-inch drive in there, and could be a new fashion with some hollow in place lol. (Thinking about a white case and light blue bottom) This will also add some stylistic distinction from other product.

edit: minor typo

Last edited:

snailonni

Trash Compacter
Aug 27, 2019
Something look like this would be cool!
(i edit the image from the official page with windows paint)

Mistercloudz

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 22, 2018
So I assume $75-150 per slim stack?
That seems a bit too much no? Considering the full stack is $40-50. Or did I misread the info?

Just a quick update on the Slim-Stack fan expansion. I've been working with bt3k who got a prototype printed and I'm currently looking at a couple dimensionality/tolerance changes to have it sit flush more reliably. I also heard back from the places I put out quotes to and it sounds like it would cost roughly between $75 and $150 to get it professionally printed. One of them is also a hobbyist and is looking at ways the design could be altered slightly to be more easily printed on printers people more likely have at home.

Once I get these modifications ironed out I'll post a thingiverse link.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
So I assume $75-150 per slim stack?
That seems a bit too much no? Considering the full stack is $40-50. Or did I misread the info?

That really comes down to economies of scale. 1-off 3D printed parts are going to carry quite the margin compared to bulk metal stamping/sheet metal bending. I'm hoping though that it will get to the point where it won't be too difficult to print at home for those of you that have 3D printers with sufficient bed size, as I will make the 3D model free to anyone who wants it.

Nouvolo

Creator
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Awesome news! I'm ready to order and start my first SFF build!!
Also, forgive me if someone already asked this before, is it possible in the near future to have an official slim stack layer for an air-cooling system?
Yes thinner stack is in the plan, but any changes or addition to the external will be in major version revision (i.e. jump from ver 1.x to 2.x). Minor updates will be in 1.x.

Any major re-tooling, which effectively requires going through a complete re-development process, will be classified into major version changes. As for different size stacks, due to the work and costs involved, I will include it in the complete re-design of ver 2.x.

Reactions: chyll2

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Yes thinner stack is in the plan, but any changes or addition to the external will be in major version revision (i.e. jump from ver 1.x to 2.x). Minor updates will be in 1.x.

Any major re-tooling, which effectively requires going through a complete re-development process, will be classified into major version changes. As for different size stacks, due to the work and costs involved, I will include it in the complete re-design of ver 2.x.

Out of curiosity, does 1.1 see any changes to the way the stack units attach or fit to the main chassis?

Mistercloudz

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 22, 2018

Would the slim stack work with the first steck?

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
As promised, here is the link to my 3D printable slim stack.

This includes the tolerance fixes I made working working with b3tk. Note though, that I haven't printed this myself yet (still working on finding someone with a 13inch print bed that doesn't want $75 to test print it). After that though I'll circle back around on a Slimmer-stack ~18mm for 15mm fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: snailonni

Mordr3d

Efficiency Noob
Aug 23, 2019
Greetings , So I plan on getting the steck next week and am wondering if I don't want to use the expansion unit for 240mm AIO , what's the best way to use it purely for case cooling and only with air , any suggestions ? At first I thought just 2 x 120 mm fans but it's quite a thick unit .

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Greetings , So I plan on getting the steck next week and am wondering if I don't want to use the expansion unit for 240mm AIO , what's the best way to use it purely for case cooling and only with air , any suggestions ? At first I thought just 2 x 120 mm fans but it's quite a thick unit .

With the 1.1 revisions officially supporting a 120mm fan under the PSU, you can totally suffice with air cooling even without a stack. Just get the biggest CPU cooler that will fit, either a Scythe Big Shuriken or a Noctua NH-L12 are probably your best best. You can also use the thingiverse link to 3D print a slimmer stack for 120mm top fans if you're so inclined. In my tests so far top fans drop the CPU temp by around 5-6 degrees in my case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mordr3d and rfarmer

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
With the 1.1 revisions officially supporting a 120mm fan under the PSU, you can totally suffice with air cooling even without a stack. Just get the biggest CPU cooler that will fit, either a Scythe Big Shuriken or a Noctua NH-L12 are probably your best best. You can also 3D use the thingiverse link to 3D print a slimmer stack for 120mm top fans if you're so inclined. In my tests so far top fans drop the CPU temp by around 5-6 degrees in my case.
Is it a slim 120mm or thick 120mm for under the psu?