Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
it is not a problem but the vents can be improved (more or bigger holes). so adding a filter on the side panel will probably hamper it more

I would recommend 2x120mm fans since I am not sure if 2x140mm is supported.

Btw, any one here have designed or crafted a tophat that can accommodate 120x25 fans?
I remember someone saying a couple months ago(around pg30 (+/-5pages) on here) that they we trying to design a 3d printed one. But I never saw any confirmation of it being finished or uploaded here.

Reactions: chyll2

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
it is not a problem but the vents can be improved (more or bigger holes). so adding a filter on the side panel will probably hamper it more

I would recommend 2x120mm fans since I am not sure if 2x140mm is supported.

Btw, any one here have designed or crafted a tophat that can accommodate 120x25 fans?

So... I did some digging by going through pages 27-42 and ctrl-f "3d" (find the word "3d" and below is the only context I can find). Wether or not anyone or anything about a 3d printed top has was posted after this... I do not know. I got caught up with stuff(work and my other hobbies... Mainly keyboards) I lost track of this thread around page 45ish and just started getting back to it about 5-10pages ago.... And I don't have the time to invest to read 40pages of forum posts to catch up. Hopefully something comes up, or someone has been working on something for this.

@MadDrake mentions it 2x but has since been missing from this forum (last login was in in January according to his profile here... only a couple days after the posts below)

@Allhopeforhumanity mentions the possibility of trying to find a way to get one printed, but I'm not sure if he had a file or would be able to make a file himself, but here is the link to that comment:

On a different note (but still 3d printed related)... I saw this on Reddit. I sent him a message and am waiting/hoping to hear back from the guy to see if he will share his files. It looks super clean and industrial, I like it.

Last edited:

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Thanks for taking time on searching for them
Yeah no prob. I know @macbosco had talked about the possibility of doing this at some point, but he is flooded with working on getting the steck to re-stock and to as many people as possible, I don't think he has the time right now.... Unless he already has it in the works.... I hope so!!

also I added a comment at the bottom of my last post , don't want you to miss it. (I added it after you commented so you might have not seen it)

• Wow
Reactions: chyll2

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
Nice finish for something that is 3D printed. Haha Gonna stalk his profile and see if he did something else for steck

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Nice finish for something that is 3D printed. Haha Gonna stalk his profile and see if he did something else for steck
Did that already, it was like his 1st post in months and has fallen off Reddit since it seems like. :( But we shall see if he ends up replying. :)

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
So... I did some digging by going through pages 27-42 and ctrl-f "3d" (find the word "3d" and below is the only context I can find). Wether or not anyone or anything about a 3d printed top has was posted after this... I do not know. I got caught up with stuff(work and my other hobbies... Mainly keyboards) I lost track of this thread around page 45ish and just started getting back to it about 5-10pages ago.... And I don't have the time to invest to read 40pages of forum posts to catch up. Hopefully something comes up, or someone has been working on something for this.

@MadDrake mentions it 2x but has since been missing from this forum (last login was in in January according to his profile here... only a couple days after the posts below)

@Allhopeforhumanity mentions the possibility of trying to find a way to get one printed, but I'm not sure if he had a file or would be able to make a file himself, but here is the link to that comment:

On a different note (but still 3d printed related)... I saw this on Reddit. I sent him a message and am waiting/hoping to hear back from the guy to see if he will share his files. It looks super clean and industrial, I like it.

Hey, I tested using two 120x25 fractal venturi fans in the stack unit as well as two noctua 15mm's, but didn't get to test out a slimmer top hat. I was working on a 3D model for a slim top hat for the 15mm noctua's, but ended up tossing the slim fans on a GPU I removed the shroud from and never went back to finish it.

I don't have a 3D printer at home to test print, but I can try to dig up the solid model and maybe work on it this weekend if I can finish off some crunch-time simulations for work before then.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Alright, so I didn't manage to find the document I was working from before, but I bust out the calipers and rebuilt a 28mm stack unit model to accommodate 25mm fans without a radiator.

I have both a SLDPRT and STL version, if you want either/both shoot me a DM with your email since I can't figure out how to embed it here.

Edit: You'll want to print it upside-down, and preferably on a machine that can do sparse support material. I'd also probably suggest ABS over PLA and to do the walls and around the screw holes with ~1mm solid fills. The holes will likely need to be reamed and post processed a little, as is the case with just about all 3D printed parts, but are sized to M3 screws.

Last edited:

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Alright, so I didn't manage to find the document I was working from before, but I bust out the calipers and rebuilt a 28mm stack unit model to accommodate 25mm fans without a radiator.

I have both a SLDPRT and STL version, if you want either/both shoot me a DM with your email since I can't figure out how to embed it here.

Edit: You'll want to print it upside-down, and preferably on a machine that can do sparse support material. I'd also probably suggest ABS over PLA and to do the walls and around the screw holes with ~1mm solid fills. The holes will likely need to be reamed and post processed a little, as is the case with just about all 3D printed parts, but are sized to M3 screws.

If I wanted to use this at the top, how should I go about installing the top pannel?(magnetically attached)

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
If I wanted to use this at the top, how should I go about installing the top pannel?(magnetically attached)

Some options I can see:
1.) get 2 more magnetic strips and adhere them to the 3-D printed slim-stack right below where you will rest the fan bracket piece,
2.) I can make a version with 4 spots to insert small rare-earth magnets to attract the strips on the top piece if you want stronger hold
3.) get 2 longer M3's screws and drill a few holes in the top piece to match where you'd align it with the fan bracket.
4.) If you also want a top piece with more ventilation, I can make a 3-D printable one that has integral holes that line up similar to drilling them in option 3.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
That is quite interesting. I would love to see this being made

I know a few buddies that have 3D printers, but i dont know if the beds are big enough. If I can get one made, I'll show the results. Otherwise anyone is welcome to the files if they want to try printing one for themselves.

@Poblopuablo reminded me that I can upload the files to thingaverse. I'll make a link as soon as the 24hour cooldown expires on new accounts.

Last edited:
Reactions: snailonni

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
After searching around Etsy shops, r/3dprinting, and online shops to make one of these is about 200. At that point is almost worth it to buy a creality cr- 10 s4 for about $600 and print a couple to sell to you lovely people. I'm not sure if I will yet.... (Mainly because I don't really have $600 to spend, but if there is enough interest I might). We might want to wait and see what @macbosco comes up with 1st.

If I were to do this, I imagine the cost would be between 50-100 depending on filament cost, shipping cost, and quality control. If it were to cost about $70, would it be worth it to you?

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
After searching around Etsy shops, r/3dprinting, and online shops to make one of these is about 200. At that point is almost worth it to buy a creality cr- 10 s4 for about $600 and print a couple to sell to you lovely people. I'm not sure if I will yet.... (Mainly because I don't really have $600 to spend, but if there is enough interest I might). We might want to wait and see what @macbosco comes up with 1st.

If I were to do this, I imagine the cost would be between 50-100 depending on filament cost, shipping cost, and quality control. If it were to cost about $70, would it be worth it to you?

I also submitted 3 quotes to local printing vendors. 2 will get back to me tomorrow, and 1 estimated 100um layer thickness, 40% infill for $70 in PLA, $73 in PETG, or $88 for ABS, $150 for carbon filled nylon, or $3600 in aluminum hahaha.

Reactions: Poblopuablo

bt3k

Case Bender
Aug 25, 2019

FWIW, 3D printing is not going to be a "buy a printer and then turn a profit" type of experience, especially on the CR10. Lots of tinkering and trial and error required to get prints to a point where you'd be comfortable selling to others. Not necessarily trying to dissuade you, but know that there's quite a bit of effort involved, especially if you haven't printed before.

That said, the bed of my printer is about 10mm too small for this part, so I might try printing in two pieces to see how it works.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
FWIW, 3D printing is not going to be a "buy a printer and then turn a profit" type of experience, especially on the CR10. Lots of tinkering and trial and error required to get prints to a point where you'd be comfortable selling to others. Not necessarily trying to dissuade you, but know that there's quite a bit of effort involved, especially if you haven't printed before.

That said, the bed of my printer is about 10mm too small for this part, so I might try printing in two pieces to see how it works.

Yeah, dialing them in can almost be a full time job and most consumer models aren't particularly friendly when it comes to tolerance/repeatability. Unless you're springing for a 10K+ stratasys or an equivalent with large uniformly heated bed, environmental chamber, and fine motor control, making components for resale would probably end up costing you more time than its worth as far as commercial endeavors go.

Reactions: snailonni and bt3k

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Just a quick update on the Slim-Stack fan expansion. I've been working with bt3k who got a prototype printed and I'm currently looking at a couple dimensionality/tolerance changes to have it sit flush more reliably. I also heard back from the places I put out quotes to and it sounds like it would cost roughly between $75 and $150 to get it professionally printed. One of them is also a hobbyist and is looking at ways the design could be altered slightly to be more easily printed on printers people more likely have at home.

Once I get these modifications ironed out I'll post a thingiverse link.