Production Nouvolo Steck - SFF 8.7-11.2L ITX PC Case, supports liquid cooling

Engr62

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 7, 2018
You need to buy this: https://www.pslatecustoms.com/products/low-profile-pcie-extension-for-louqe-ghost-s1

For someone who signed up for early access and review, You sound so bitter already... Almost like you came to this case completely blind and shocked. It's been said multiple times that this case was meant to be used (and possibly fixed) on a desktop and not to be tote around. Of course, I value my desk space. But come on, you can't be surprised like that. *Bashes my head on wall*

Not bitter at all. But @macbosco is looking for reviews/suggestions. And like I said, I can't comment on the adequacy of the magnet system since the panels are so bowed, I can't install them as is.

MadDrake

Cable Smoosher
Jul 13, 2018
I just got mine. I test fit some my components and my water cooling setup is too big for the top hat. Im going to 3d print an extension for maybe 20 or 30mm of height. Reason for is that my 980ti classy watblock terminal sticks up past the top of the case into the top hat. My rad is 56mm thick so the plan is to raise it up and make it all fit. I used the rad in my past build and temps never went over 50c. I might shop around for a rad that can perform similar. If it's thinner with higher density maybe. Not sure about that though.

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
As for the magnetic strip, they are good, but I'm not a huge fan. They do fall off when I pick the system up, but I REALLY like the clean asthetic of not having screws. I know you can't have quality, looks and decent price (thinking of that super sexy $400+ circle pro case). Implemtntation is good, not great. They stay on. if you touch them they stay on of you tap them they stay on, if you move they system, they will probably fall off. (Or just get a couple rubber bands/straps for moving it and it will stay together. :) ). For me the cleanliness of the aesthetic wins over the functional stability of screws.

Edit: Want screws? Your in luck! There are screw holes for glass, so the side pannels can be screwed in if you drill holes.

Tl;dr: they work. Could the be better? Perhaps, but it's a quality magnetic strip, keeps cost down and most of all: its functional! :)

Just my .02

Last edited:
Reactions: fabio

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
I just got mine. I test fit some my components and my water cooling setup is too big for the top hat. Im going to 3d print an extension for maybe 20 or 30mm of height. Reason for is that my 980ti classy watblock terminal sticks up past the top of the case into the top hat. My rad is 56mm thick so the plan is to raise it up and make it all fit. I used the rad in my past build and temps never went over 50c. I might shop around for a rad that can perform similar. If it's thinner with higher density maybe. Not sure about that though.
If you do this would you be willing to share the files with those of us who have similar issues or would like a push/pull configuration?

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Hey guys, I understand the excitement. But I want you guys to take your time!!! Enjoy the process and don't rush through the whole experience. If it will take a few weeks, it's fine!!! ;)
Thank you for words of encouragement! I was planning cto get my initial review up last night, but with a couple of minor user-error-complications I think I'm going to wait a week and then post the review. (Gives me more time to try different set ups)

I would like to say this is a great case, and @macbosco is awesome for giving some community testers the opportunity to check it out!

I look forward to dropping my review on here. It is already lengthy and will only get more lengthy with the next week of testing. ;)

That being said tl;dr: good case ;) I'll be back on here regularly commenting to provide the most information I can for the fellows who didn't get the opportunity to get a review/community-tester unit. :)

Have a great week friends!!

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Hey guys, I understand the excitement. But I want you guys to take your time!!! Enjoy the process and don't rush through the whole experience. If it will take a few weeks, it's fine!!! ;)

Its not so much a rush to finish for finishings sake, but more to help pay you back for the opportunity (and super expedited global shipping!) in a timely fashion.

Besides additional test data and continued experience with the case can always be updates/amended as we continue using the case. I just want to get first impressions and build photos up for you guys to critique, and if necessary go back and amend things into something pretty and formally presentable for your marketing needs.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Its not so much a rush to finish for finishings sake, but more to help pay you back for the opportunity (and super expedited global shipping!) in a timely fashion.

Besides additional test data and continued experience with the case can always be updates/amended as we continue using the case. I just want to get first impressions and build photos up for you guys to critique, and if necessary go back and amend things into something pretty and formally presentable for your marketing needs.

Thanks, but please don't feel any pressure of needing to pay me back of any sorts. I am also just an enthusiast, tinkerer turned creator. I feel the same excitement. I am just glad that there is a bunch of guys that appreciate what I created. And really, "paying me back" is getting too serious. JUST HAVE FUN!

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Unboxing time!

Note that the glass side panels are missing. During my brief lunch break while rushing to snap the photos, I had passed over the glass side panels. I will do a reshoot soon, hopefully this evening before or after my commitment is fulfilled.

Last edited:

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
What the heck. I am shelving the mini review and I am just drafting my full review here and now. What you see now will vary a bit a couple weeks from now in the published review. For now, enjoy! The review itself is still a work-in progress and it is not completely finished to suit my expectations, but I had plenty of thoughts so far that I needed to put to paper as soon as possible. In looking forward, there will also be more photos, including side-by-side photos with--hopefully--an Intel NUC, my RVZ02, and a couple other odds and ends where it makes sense.

A Sparkling Speck of Steck: A Rising Star With Star-Studded Potential
=======================================
|| Size for SFF: 10/10

|| Aesthetics: 10/10
|| Ease of installation: 8/10
|| Price: 10/10
|| Finishing: 9/10
|| Flexibility: 10/10
|| Compatibility: 6/10
|| Thermals (passive): 6/10 (Stock) / 9/10 (With fix) / 7.5 (Average)
|| Potential for modding: 10/10
|| ------------------------------------------------------------------
|| Overall: 9/10 (Excellent / Must Buy!)

=======================================

A number of months ago, I stumbled on the Nouvolo Steck while searching for a viable alternative to a certain case named after an immaterial apparition that has experienced a number of delays. I had already researched a few other cases including the Kolink Rocket, the Raijintek Ophion Evo, the Geeek A50, and a few lesser known models in the Chinese market that are available only on Taobao. In each option, I found many strong points that were not without their hitches or hang-ups. Enter the Steck.

In my mind, the Steck is the perfect balance of shape and size combined with a fittingly elegant unassuming look. Excusing a thermal issue due to a feature incompatibility on my power supply which will be discussed in length at a future point, it is cool and quiet for its footprint and volume. Expandability is rather exceptional and practically limitless considering the modularity of the central spine, while building is fairly straightforward though some improvements can be made in this regard. There is little not to like and a whole lot to love. So let's dive in!

Size for SFF: 10/10

This caught me by surprise as I was pleasantly surprised by what I found. I had initially thought the approximate three-volume difference would be minimal compared to my Silverstone Raven RVZ02, but this could not be further from the truth. In actuality, it is significantly smarter in its strategic usage of space as well and this hearkens back to its design style. Currently, there are two highly popular designs in 12-liter-and-under small form factor PC case market which I refer to as the flatter pizza box-style (see the RVZ02) and thicker double-barreled shotgun-style (see the Steck).

I see valid pros and cons for both styles of cases but the more I use it, the more I fancy the less elongated, cube-like shape of the Steck which generally offers wide compatibility for CPU coolers and graphics cards and fits better in backpacks and tabletops. Even with the factory-installed feet with their approximate three quarters of an inch in added height, the Steck's use of this second dual-chamber, GPU/motherboard design fits snuggly and gets out of the way excellently. This especially holds true whether in my Cabin Max Metz Extra or on the top of a TV stand next to a Samsung JS8000 55" LCD UHD TV.

Aesthetics: 10/10

I am a fan of an understated look and thanks to the flat black color and rounded corners in full force, the Steck does not fail to impress. There is not a single sharp edge to be found within the internal and external borders of the parts. The paint job is also a nice blend between flat and textured that is smooth to the touch and a pleasure to look at from afar.

When the Steck is placed side by side with well-established, highly regarded Streacom's FC8 which I have access to, I see two equally compelling-looking appliances that stand shoulder to shoulder with one another. Both LEDs glow with just the right intensity and the snap of the activation force and click of the switch on the power button looks and sounds upscale and alluring. The Steck has premium written all over it from all angles.

Ease of Installation: 8/10

From the standpoint of a seasoned builder, I can say confidently this case was incredibly easy to put together. However, here I have to put myself in the shoes of a novice and an average buyer. Something very simple is missing in the equation and that is an illustrated assembly guide. The YouTube step-by-step assembly videos are indeed helpful and a step in the right direction, but I am certain a few users would like a guide showing more clearly and visibly which screws go where. A good starting point is Streacom, who I believe has some of the best examples of clear, simple instructions and diagrams done right such as here. Add an illustrated assembly guide and this easily becomes a 9 or a 10.

Price: 10/10

Value-packed--there is so much you get here with the relatively low asking price of $160. The case, the PCIe cable and bracket, and the necessary hardware that are all manufactured with care and high-grade materials. Note that I say "relatively" since at the present this market is still rather niche and price-inhibitive for these double-barreled shotgun-styled cases since most of these cases cost upwards of $200. The ones that end up costing less take several shortcuts in build quality downgrading to plastics and have issues with airflow. The Steck actually has managed to bring this style of case down to a price point that is much more accessible while introducing little to no drawbacks in build quality or features.

Finishing: 9/10
The paint job itself was just as good as the production-grade FC8 I have access to and noticeably in a whole other league from the RVZ02. The RVZ02's seems roughly and courser and dabber and drearier and simply looks like a standard big box retailer whereas the Steck's looks and feels premium. The Steck is definitely up there with the best premium mass manufacturers in achieving a paint job that rivals these more widely known names in case design.

Now, remembering that this is a pre-production unit, I noticed a very minor blemish on the metal side panels which is a very minor lack of paint on the inside of the rightmost, center from top and bottom perforation hole. This is approximately 1mm of missing paint that occurs here on both metal side panels. There was also a small ripple of excess paint on two of the internal drive cages but definitely not a show stopper by any stretch. As explained by the creator, this is due to the hook that is used to lift the panels in the painting process but this is already being addressed even before my noting of it.

Flexibility: 10/10

(Words)

Compatibility: 6/10

Thermals (passive): 6/10 (Stock) / 9/10 (With Fix)

This is where the praise needs to be put on hold for a moment while we discuss some healthy constructive criticism. I have a bit of a problem with the compatibility of the power supply mount. I happen to own an Enermax SFX Revolution. Due to the position of the risen plastic of the AC power connector, the power supply runs into the mount when the fan is facing outward. So I have two choices. One, I can place the power supply free floating in the case so the power supply fan can be facing outward. Or two, I can place the power oriented the opposite direction with the power supply fan pointed towards the inside of the case.

I tried both choices and it does not work well in either instance. In the first case, the power supply could potentially move around in the case the one way. For now, I can use double-sided tape as a stopgap fix until an improved, more compatible bracket is introduced. This is the option I will go with. However, alternatively, simply reversing the power supply, the case starts out nice and cool but, by and by, the case gets progressively hotter and hotter until the entire inside is burning hot. So really, I could sell my power supply and purchase one which has a more wisely positioned AC power connector and avoid this problem entirely.

Potential for modding: 10/10

(Words)

Last edited:

RockZors

Trash Compacter
Aug 21, 2018
Graphics Card - PCIe x16 3.0, double slot max. 300mm length, 140mm height

For the GPU you have height and length. What is the max width? Could a 51mm thick card fit?

MadDrake

Cable Smoosher
Jul 13, 2018
If you do this would you be willing to share the files with those of us who have similar issues or would like a push/pull configuration?
I am ok with sharing it! It may take some time though. Im having some things going on that might make me a little busier than usual. Will let you know when I get a file for it.

Aki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 9, 2016
@macbosco Thanks for clearing up the issue I have with the screws. btw: I don't mind the imperfections. Finding and addressing them is (at least for me) what this more or less pre-production run/ early access is about. And obviously having fun.

Small update on the not perfectly flush front. Not sure how to describe it, so I'll just post some pictures.
Essentially one of the bends is located slightly more towards the inside than the other. I tried to fix it with some washers, but I need more washers to really make a difference. Not sure if this is within the tolerances.

Also, this is how I mounted the 3 drives drive cage on the bottom.

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
@Aki i see what you mean now. Then that is manufacturing tolerances, looks like ~1mm or less. I will check with manufacturer on improving this. Note: thickness of metal is 1.5mm for comparison :) My opinion will be due to paint work which can have around 0.3mm tolerance. As pink ones have had a 2nd paint job, this can be the issue. Also the shade difference will be fixed external vs internal for bulk production for reasons I have mentioned.

The 3 HDD bracket is designed to be mounted in top extension when using 120mm radiator. You have found a new way to install that:). Enough room for power cables?

macbosco

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Mar 20, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
@Hifihedgehog the paint issue will be fixed for bulk.I noticed that also it's due to the wire hook that holds the piece during painting process. As the panels are totally flat the holes are the only thing for hanging it up for paint work. :)

Reactions: Hifihedgehog

Hifihedgehog

May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
@Hifihedgehog the paint issue will be fixed for bulk.I noticed that also it's due to the wire hook that holds the piece during painting process. As the panels are totally flat the holes are the only thing for hanging it up for paint work. :)
It is very minor and not even visible. There is also a teeny bit of paint roughness on two of the drive cages, a quarter of an inch on one side on the outer portion of those cages, but it is not even visible or noticeable. I am still at my church’s food pantry or Bishop’s Storehouse where I volunteer with my parents so I am not totally available just yet. I happened to have a light evening, though, so I was able to assemble the case in its entirety here. The electronic guts or gear are already all ready and waiting at home to be installed and stress tested. Overall, I am stunned by how finely crafted this is! So fine... I wager this case is just as well made as the Streacom FC8 that my father uses for HTPC duty in the living room. So we are talking baby smooth corners and a pristine paint job and coating, not to mention a really solid build quality with practically no flexing once fully assembled. I also like how there are air paths in literally every direction to ensure a cool system m. This is clearly in a whole other league above my RVZ02 which has a rougher paint job, flexes more and has boxed-in design that inhibits air flow. To give an idea of the footprint, it fills approximately the same rectangular volume as my Surface Pro 4 does when its kickstand is extended at a 60-80 degree. All in all, I am fully impressed by the size, build, and aesthetics and see no sense of corner cutting but professional, pristine craftmanship. I will be typing up my full mini-review impressions in my reserved post either tonight or tomorrow.

Reactions: Aki and Poblopuablo